Options

Huge Project

CatchMeCatchMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited July 2, 2011 in Finishing School
So I am currently doing a project for a client that is having me download user images to my computer using right click-save as. Once there I am pulling information from my client's website to put in a text box in the picture. I also have to re-size these pictures to either 5x7 and 8x10 for print. Here is the rub, because they are all user images they are anywhere from 480x600 up to 4000x6000 pixels and I need to get a completely uniform final product for print. I am currently using photoshop and lightroom and I can get a consistent product, with varying quality, but with a lot of time spent on each picture. I'm doing this for 1000 pictures! Does anyone have an idea for a cheap and or easy solution to streamlining this project? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Call me confused. What is a user image?

Does your client own these images? Is there a reason your client can't provide you with the images on DVD's , or hard drive?

Explain to your client that going online and copying each individual image is time consuming and will cost them a lot more than if they provide the images on DVD's or a portable hard drive.

If the images vary in size from 480x600 up to 4000x6000 pixels there isn't any way the final cropped images will be consistent quality.

If the text box information is different for each image and the crop can vary between 5X7 or 8X10 then it looks like you will need to handle each image individually.

Maybe if you told us what the final product is and the use we could help more in streamlining your workflow.

Sam
  • Options
    CatchMeCatchMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Well you have it all correct. My client runs a website and it has the permission to use the images for the purposes of this project. There is absolutely no way around the right-click thing and I have come to terms with that. I was just wondering if there is anything that would improve my work flow once I get to editing the photos. Fortunately I was able to upgrade from CS2 to CS5 and that has helped immensely. I re-size the images in bulk in lightroom and then I use bridge and photoshop to grab the information I previously recorded to the picture's metadata and I paste it into a text box. I also adjust the canvas in photoshop to get a true 5x7 or 8x10 because the lightroom leaves the original aspect ratio in-tact when re-sizing and the printer doesn't like that.
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    Srocky85 wrote: »
    Well you have it all correct. My client runs a website and it has the permission to use the images for the purposes of this project.
    It that case, the images are stored somewhere (usually either on disk or in a database). Retrieving them should not be a big deal.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Srocky85 wrote: »
    I also have to re-size these pictures to either 5x7 and 8x10 for print. Here is the rub, because they are all user images they are anywhere from 480x600 up to 4000x6000 pixels ...

Aside from the time problem of processing a thousand images, you've got a resolution problem. A 480x600 image cropped to 5x7 in. for print has a resolution of only 87 ppi. It's hard to see how you would get an acceptable print from that.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    I would not even try this with out running all the small images thru Genuine Fractals (Perfect Resize by OnOne Software) for uprezing.....but again it will need to be done on each individual image.
    Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    As others have said, you do have a resolution problem with some of the images.

I hope your getting paid by the hour. :D

Sam