Options

Yellowstone in Late May

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited July 4, 2011 in Landscapes
I got a chance to visit Yellowstone for the first time late this May. Being originally from Southern California, I've come to despise winter now that I live somewhere that experiences some of it. But Yellowstone, wow... It snowed every day, but not enough to close major roads for the most part (Dunraven never did open up though). Absolutely incredible.

One day while a bunch of photographers were capturing the only wolf we saw (with steep hillside above and below the road) and REALLY big bison came hauling up the road right where everyone was standing. No one heard it coming until it was within 50' or so. Lots of mad dashes behind cars and into snow banks. Then he got to the traffic jam and started swinging that massive head around (bison, it seems, do not like traffic either). Almost took out a family and some other people before finding his way around. On the way out he slowed down and stared down my buddy before galloping off. Didn't take but 30 seconds. Even with all of those cameras around I don't think anyone stopped to take the shot ;).

There was also the time I was taking shots of some bubbles in a creek when a grizzly wandered by behind. So I go take photos of this bear that I almost have to myself. Then it's friend (an even bigger grizzly) from down the road comes up behind me (again), crosses the road not 15 feet from the now gathered croud and chases off the first bear.

I camped a lot in California growing up, but never had this kind of constant exposure to hairy things with pointy teeth/claws/horns/antlers that are bigger than me. Again, wow.

Here are some of the shots I got, hopefully they do the experience some small justice. Appologies if the quantity makes your internet connection cry. Full Gallery

1 & 2
MG9652-HDR-L.jpgMG9917-L.jpg

MG9777-L.jpg

MG9768-L.jpg

5 (I liked the vintage postcard look on this one)
MG9965-Postcard-L.jpg

1000590-Panorama-L.jpg

MG0214-L.jpg

MG0344-L.jpg

MG0453-L.jpg

10 & 11
MG0485-HDR-L.jpgMG7198-L.jpg

MG0489-L.jpg

13 (I spent an absurdly long time trying to focus on the blindingly bright snow...)
MG7368-L.jpg

MG7382-L.jpg

MG7468-L.jpg

16 (not sure what the blurry bird is, but it wasn't there when I went to hit the shutter)
MG7535-L.jpg

17 & 18
MG7566-L.jpgMG7669-L.jpg

MG7655-Panorama-L.jpg

MG7686-L.jpg

MG7799-L.jpg

MG7844-L.jpg

MG7730-L.jpg
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Stunning! Really inspires me to make a visit there. (I'm from So. Cal. too BTW). GP
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Wow. My favorites from your post here: 24, 12, 11, 5

I love the mostly-shilouette in 24 - what an iconic image, and I love the snow on his back, as well as the swirling snow in the foreground. This image gives a sense of why these animals were such important pieces (physically & spiritually) of the Native American way of life.

This could win contests.
    edited June 29, 2011
    Nice series! I took a trip from Central CA to Western PA about 15 years ago. Sadly, we stopped just for a few hours at Yellowstone (before I got into photography).
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    21 FTW! This is a wonderful set and I love how much drama, mist, fog and snow you got even in late May. Thanks for inspiring!
  • Options
    drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Thanks for the kind comments!

I could spend a great deal of time there I think, just wandering around and watching the light change (while avoiding the stealth bear and bison, or even bear riding a bison). Which is saying something coming from me, I have been nearly fanatical in my single minded focus on THE Grand Canyon these last 7 years.

#24 was lucky a lucky out-the-window shot. The hillside there is actually carved away, so you get that neat cutaway look with bison on top, then grass, then dirt and rocks.

#5 has inspired me to gin up a batch of 4x6 vintage postcard reproductions. Trying to get that colorized B&W look. I really like vintage in connection with the parks. Not sure what to do with them just yet... It would be cool to sell them, but kind of a niche thing.

Now I just need to make enough money off of photos to just go hang out here as long as I want ;).

It's too blurry, but what do you guys think of this in principle? He was SO posing for the cameras.
    MG9860-Composite-M.jpg
    ...and the river flows through our souls...
    www.chrislindbergphotography.com
  • Options
    WiscoFrankWiscoFrank Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    Really great shots .. heading to Grand Tetons, Custer State Park & Yellowstone tomorrow. Can't wait.
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2011
    WOW! Just WOW! Killer photos!!
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    #2, 17 and 21 are just STUNNING. Excellent work...

Cheers,