Options

need opinions, please

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was planning to enter this one #1, but I noticed a very similar one had already been entered.
i-22nfsSz-L.jpg

Are either of these worth considering?
#2 Blurry Hydrangeasi-JG3FFQ9-L.jpg

#3 Centered Rose
i-4NhBms6-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    All very nice, but #1 stands out clap.gif

PS: I would enter it anyway, because it's different from the one already entered - I've seen challenges with 3 entries (or more) on the same idea...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    I like all of these and lean toward #2 as a good option if you can make it softer. I think #1 may be too much like another entry given that the subject for this challenge is wide open. The last time I saw multiple entries on the same idea - the moon in the over and under challenge - it prompted a discussion about "unwritten rules" like the one you mentioned, not voting for your own entry, etc. I've been in a similar quandary with at least three challenges and went with another entry twice and stayed with my original once, so I know how hard it can be to make this call.... Ironically, I had actually been thinking that it might be good to raise the "unwritten rules" in the general thread as I had shared them with one new member (when I introduced her to dgrin) and thought others might want to know what had been discussed [edit: on this forum]!

Back to your photos, I think #2 might be a strong candidate if you reshot it so that it is even softer/blurrier. Or have one tiny portion in focus and blur the rest. Not as sure about the rose because it doesn't look like enough of a rule breaker to me, but I could be all wrong on this as I'm finding it hard to give input for this challenge....

Gretchen
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like all of these and lean toward #2 as a good option if you can make it softer. I think #1 may be too much like another entry given that the subject for this challenge is wide open. The last time I saw multiple entries on the same idea - the moon in the over and under challenge - it prompted a discussion about "unwritten rules" like the one you mentioned, not voting for your own entry, etc. I've been in a similar quandary with at least three challenges and went with another entry twice and stayed with my original once, so I know how hard it can be to make this call.... Ironically, I had actually been thinking that it might be good to raise the "unwritten rules" in the general thread as I had shared them with one new member (when I introduced her to dgrin) and thought others might want to know what had been discussed!

Back to your photos, I think #2 might be a strong candidate if you reshot it so that it is even softer/blurrier. Or have one tiny portion in focus and blur the rest. Not as sure about the rose because it doesn't look like enough of a rule breaker to me, but I could be all wrong on this as I'm finding it hard to give input for this challenge....

Gretchen

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like all of these and lean toward #2 as a good option if you can make it softer. I think #1 may be too much like another entry given that the subject for this challenge is wide open. The last time I saw multiple entries on the same idea - the moon in the over and under challenge - it prompted a discussion about "unwritten rules" like the one you mentioned, not voting for your own entry, etc. I've been in a similar quandary with at least three challenges and went with another entry twice and stayed with my original once, so I know how hard it can be to make this call.... Ironically, I had actually been thinking that it might be good to raise the "unwritten rules" in the general thread as I had shared them with one new member (when I introduced her to dgrin) and thought others might want to know what had been discussed [edit: on this forum]!

Gretchen

I missed this one, sorry headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    I missed this one, sorry headscratch.gif

Hope Joyce doesn't mind my quoting her here.... This was in the general thread in early April when folks were discussing titles for entries, public etiquette of voting, etc.
    JAG wrote: »
    Another unwritten rule that we use to do is that if one person shoots a picture for a theme and puts it in the album, and another has a very simular picture, the second person would reshoot out of respect that the first person already came up with the idea. But that is also just a curtosy thing.

I think it is a judgment call with each challenge, and there's no question that it's hard to put a lot of energy into a shot and then start over again or choose a shot that wasn't your first choice! Sigh...
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I agree with Gretchen on #2. You might try even more blurry.