Options

#80 Channeling BJY at Mission San Xavier del Bac

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited July 6, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
BJY is Bill Josh Young, my first marriage father-in-law, who passed away earlier this year. BJY was an accomplished artist who earned his living on Madison Avenue, then doing corporate and freelance graphic design, followed by a stint as the head of the graphic design department at the University of Arizona. He came kicking and screaming into the digital age and became a diehard photoshop fan. And, boy... could he make that program sing!

BJY taught me rules about graphic design, typography, jazz, traditional and digital photography, and life in general. He was a great man, a positive influence on me and mentor to boatloads of others. And, he knew when to break the rules, too.

So... this weekend his granddaughter (my daughter) and I took a road trip to Tucson to pay respects and celebrate his life with friends and family. One of his favorite places was the Mission de San Xaiver del Bac in southern Tucson. On Saturday morning after the celebration, I visited again and saw again, things we'd explored together years ago.

So... here's to you Bill Josh. Here are a few rule-breakers for your consideration. There are more photos from this early hours excursion that aren't the rule-breakers (including some first attempts at pp on an iPad with Nik Software's Snapseed app in my SmugMug gallery, here. I'd inviter forum members to take a look and comment if so inclined. For now, I'm leaning toward #5 as my DSS #80 entry. Feedback welcomed...

1. Adobe Cathedral with Styofoam Cross
0601-San-Xavier-RAW-034-L.jpg

2. Look-out Lion
0601-San-Xavier-RAW-070-L.jpg

3. Arched Ceiling Cherub
0601-San-Xavier-Snapseed-204-L.jpg

4. A Fan of Relgious Iconography
0601-San-Xavier-RAW-166-L.jpg

5. Quintessential Rule-Breaker Looking to Leave the Frame.
0601-San-Xavier-RAW-179-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I love all these shots! I agree that #5 is a strong contender for this challenge but my favorite shot of the series is #4. There is just something so comical about that electric fan tucked away in that corner amid all that iconography. I'm not sure what rule that shot is breaking, though. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 5, 2011
    I like 5, 4 and 2 for this challenge - in that order. I think the composition of #5 is the most obvious about breaking rules and I like the title you gave it in the entry gallery. I also looked at your smug mug gallery, and it was fun to see the various ways you processed images from this trip with finesse! (I ended up adding Nik Software's Snapseed app to my ipad as I am thinking of going on vacation without taking a laptop. Fyi for others: It was on sale for July 4th but not sure whether the sale is still going or not.)

Glad you were able to make this trip with your daughter and pay tribute to your first marriage father-in-law.

Gretchen
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
    Loving #5, the one you entered. It breaks the rules and is a great photo despite (because of) the broken rules, which is the whole idea!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2011
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    #4 and #5 for me.

#4 breaks a rule - the subject is almost inconspicuous and part of it is cut off. I also think it makes the picture.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    #5 gets my voteclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    #5 gets my voteclap.gif

+1