Options

DSS 80 - Breaking Rules in DC

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
edited July 6, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a few shots from our recent trip to DC. Do you think any of these have potential for the current challenge?

1a. Stars and Stripes Forever
i-pW6GCG3-L.jpg

1b. Stars and Stripes Forever hdr
i-nrw6wvV-L.jpg

2. Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
i-zc6vD8G-L.jpg

3a. Honest Abe
i-2XqtVbh-L.jpg

3b. Honest Abe
i-ZX7XcZZ-L.jpg

A few night time shots taken on the drive back to Philly - experiments in "breaking the rules" with some interesting results. Not sure any of them are worthy of this challenge though.

4. Night Vision
i-TghrJMV-L.jpg

5a. The World Without Glasses
i-954Znnp-L.jpg

6. Driving While Tired
i-QkXhV9v-L.jpg

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like world without glasses...been there so many times!
    Abe reminds me of the time I was in DC with friends, and my ditzy friend says "wow, he looks much bigger than he does on a penny".
    I also like #2
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Abe reminds me of the time I was in DC with friends, and my ditzy friend says "wow, he looks much bigger than he does on a penny".

rolleyes1.gifeek7.gifrofl
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I love the Lincoln shots but am not getting the rule connection with them. ne_nau.gif

I'm really digging #1 with the backward US flag. While the texture of the Washington Monument looks really nice in the HDR version, the flag itself looks a little overcooked.

I also like #2 a lot. The angle is wonderful and I love how you balanced the flags at the base of the Washington Monument with the sunlight at the tip.

I would go with either 1a or 2. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I like #5. The World Without Glasses! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    I'm gonna go with #'s 4 and 5. That being said, I'm enjoying this challenge, because it's really pretty easy to break the rules. What's not so easy is to do it for a truly compelling reason, other than simply breaking the rules.

This would be my comment about #1 and 2. While there may be rules being broken, for me the image isn't made stronger by the non-rule following.

In regard to Mr. Lincoln... this is one of the most photographed images in the world. It's really a challenge to find a way to "see" this magnificent sculpture that isn't as some level a cliche. You've got a couple of beautiful images of him, but... what's new? Of the two, I prefer the first.

Of 4 and 5, I'm leaning toward 5. There's abstraction with what I think is recognizable context and the linear composition is quite strong. The only negative may be the high noise level from shooting at 6400 iso. But within the context of the blurred image, I don't think it matters.

Nice set. Thanks for sharing them.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    I like world without glasses...been there so many times! I also like #2

Yes, it was easy to come up with the title for this shot! Thanks for your input on these, Kate.
    richtersl wrote: »
    I'm really digging #1 with the backward US flag.... I also like #2 a lot. The angle is wonderful and I love how you balanced the flags at the base of the Washington Monument with the sunlight at the tip.
    I would go with either 1a or 2. clap.gifclapclap.gif

I agree about 1b (the hdr version) being a little overcooked. I loved the light on this flag! I'll take a look at these again, perhaps working a bit more on post-processing or taking some new shots. Thanks for the feedback!
    I like #5. The World Without Glasses! :)

Tatiana, thanks for your input on these! I make take another stab at post-processing this to see if I can reduce the noise a bit.
    billseye wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with #'s 4 and 5....

Very helpful input, Bill! I agree about it being harder to break the rules in a way that makes an image stronger and I appreciate your perspective on these.
    In regard to Mr. Lincoln... this is one of the most photographed images in the world. It's really a challenge to find a way to "see" this magnificent sculpture that isn't as some level a cliche. You've got a couple of beautiful images of him, but... what's new? Of the two, I prefer the first.

Good point. It's been years since I've visited the monuments in DC, so I appreciated the opportunity to get some fresh images but they are not unique!
    Of 4 and 5, I'm leaning toward 5. There's abstraction with what I think is recognizable context and the linear composition is quite strong. The only negative may be the high noise level from shooting at 6400 iso. But within the context of the blurred image, I don't think it matters.

It's helpful for me to know why you and others are leaning toward #5, so I appreciate your specific input on this shot!

Thanks everyone,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    I really like the HDR bricks in 1b but the flag in 1a. I also like #5 - I like that more abstract light pattern better than the linear pattern in #4.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Of them all, I love #5.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    Thank you all for the helpful input! I tried tweaking 5 and wonder what you think of this version?

5b. The World Without Glasses (blue filter added)
    i-65ksBwT-L.jpg

5c. The World Without Glasses (temp tweaked)
    i-tBbcCKT-L.jpg

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »

5b. The World Without Glasses

Better :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2011
    Hi Gretchen - Love the images especially in light of July 4th. I have to say Bill's commentary is spot on in my opinion and I agree with him. I'm leaning the most to #5. But I also really like the drama and angle of #2 with the wisp of cloud in the background and the sun.

I'm stumped so far on this challenge and have appreciated your tips and recap of Freeman Patterson's rules & ways to break them...specifically #C. Thanks for sharing. GP
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2011
    Tatiana and Gretchen, thank you for the additional input on these. I have uploaded 5b to the entry gallery as I don't have time to explore this theme further - leaving on vacation soon - but I look forward to seeing how you and others interpret this theme! GP, glad you found the tips helpful! And Bill, thanks again for your input. I'm sharing the patriotic pics on fb :D

Gretchen
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I had a puposely blurred shot of the Newport bridge - I was going to title it "Don't drink and shoot" - then I saw that you had entered yours. I'm hoping either a sunset or fireworks shot will work.

Personally, I like #1a - the backlit flag looks really nice.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Thanks for your input on these. I do like the backlit flag but thought I would go with something rather different (than what I normally do) and I like that it is clearly breaking a couple of rules. But I'm sorry that it overlapped with something you had shot! I have one other idea but since we are leaving on vacation in 28 hours or so, I will probably stick with what I have. There's too much to do between now and then....

I like your idea, and there aren't many images that are showing someone breaking a well-known law or rule. I'd be interested in seeing it. (Feel free to send me a link in a pm if you want.) Thanks, Kono.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Enjoy your vacation!

The colors pop more in your original #5. Either one works for me.

#1a is gorgeous. I love the color. The red in the HDR version is not as appealing, but I like the brickwork in the BG better in the HDR.

I think #3a is better of Honest Abe. More contrast really brings out the detail.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    Enjoy your vacation!

The colors pop more in your original #5. Either one works for me.

#1a is gorgeous. I love the color. The red in the HDR version is not as appealing, but I like the brickwork in the BG better in the HDR.

I think #3a is better of Honest Abe. More contrast really brings out the detail.

Thanks for your input on these. I'll make sure I have the files for 1a and the original 5 when I head out of town so that my options are open. :D
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Another Idea: Girl at My Window
    I had one other idea and managed to shoot a few photos tonight. May be able to get a few more tomorrow with the light coming in the window.... Does this idea have potential or should I stick with The World Without Glass or the first flag (1a) image for my entry? These could all be titled "The Girl at My Window." It is a stained glass window of a girl picking up amber. It was my mother's and reminds me of her love of beauty and grace.

i-mxFWjGm-L.jpg

i-V7mKC44-L.jpg

i-Hr2SmpW-L.jpg

If I go with a girl at my window shot - perhaps shooting some tomorrow morning - does the composition break the no borders rule?

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thanks for your input on these. I do like the backlit flag but thought I would go with something rather different (than what I normally do) and I like that it is clearly breaking a couple of rules. But I'm sorry that it overlapped with something you had shot! I have one other idea but since we are leaving on vacation in 28 hours or so, I will probably stick with what I have. There's too much to do between now and then....

I like your idea, and there aren't many images that are showing someone breaking a well-known law or rule. I'd be interested in seeing it. (Feel free to send me a link in a pm if you want.) Thanks, Kono.

Sorry - I didn't intend for my comment to sound like a plea for you to change your entry - it was more in the spirit of great minds think alike.

Personally, I like your current entry better than the stained glass.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and get to take lots of photos. Everyone here is still sleeping and I'm enjoying some quiet time (my favorite time of the day :D). So far this morning I have heard a bugle playing Call to Post, someone playing a recording of our national anthem, and watched a dense fog roll in - making all but the closest of boats in the harbor disappear. I can still see the Seafair from our balcony - it is the 4th largest megayacht in the world, and is currently serving as a floating art gallery.

My photos (uneditted - I'm gonna have a lot of work when I return) can be found in my Newport and Bristol galleries on my smugmug sight: http://www.kono.smugmug.com
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I do like your DC shots but the one you've entered seems to provide the best fit for the challenge. Enjoy your vacation!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I do like your DC shots but the one you've entered seems to provide the best fit for the challenge. Enjoy your vacation!

15524779-Ti.gif Great title too!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    Sorry - I didn't intend for my comment to sound like a plea for you to change your entry - it was more in the spirit of great minds think alike.

Personally, I like your current entry better than the stained glass.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and get to take lots of photos. Everyone here is still sleeping and I'm enjoying some quiet time (my favorite time of the day :D). So far this morning I have heard a bugle playing Call to Post, someone playing a recording of our national anthem, and watched a dense fog roll in - making all but the closest of boats in the harbor disappear. I can still see the Seafair from our balcony - it is the 4th largest megayacht in the world, and is currently serving as a floating art gallery.

My photos (uneditted - I'm gonna have a lot of work when I return) can be found in my Newport and Bristol galleries on my smugmug sight: http://www.kono.smugmug.com

I didn't take it as a plea but was curious about how much of an overlap it might be. Fun shots in your gallery! I wonder whether you could crop the sharper shot of the bridge so that the horizon is pretty much centered and enter that one? It's a lovely shot! Thanks for the input on my last minute shots. I think I'll stay with my current entry. Not planning to take a computer with good photo editing capabilities with us....
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Thank you all for your input. Great community here. We are heading to Hawaii - Big Island and Maui - and looking forward to it. Thankfully, I am traveling without a walking boot protecting a broken foot. After 8 very long weeks, I got the all clear on Friday!