Options

DSS 80 - Kitties again :)

lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's my go at this challenge - I've taken a ton of photos but it seems like most shots might break one rule but fall within another. Comments welcome please! :)

1. Guarding the trunks
IMG4967-M.jpg

2. A tail before 4
IMG5174-M.jpg

3. Pounce!
IMG4849-M.jpg

4. Shadow kitty (although her face was blown by the flash; I inverted it because the white blinded me)
PIC0006b-M.jpg

5. She won't mess with him again
IMG4819-M.jpg

6. Cockeyed
IMG4703-M.jpg

7. Rough & tumble
IMG4879-M.jpg
~Lillian~
A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    #2 - It breaks the shoot at eye level rule. The shapes of the kitties are very effective, especially when combined with the square shapes on the floor and the round, clear dish.

#1 is a great kitty portrait. And Pounce is fun. But I still think #2 is the best.

I disagree with your title in #5. Based on experience with my two kitties, she will definitely mess with him again. :D
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    These are all great in their own ways. My favorites are #1 and #2
    In #1 I love the textures in the trunks, and really liking the blue, and with the cat being so centered, I'm guessing that's the rule you're breaking.

#2 has a great viewpoint and the framing is very nice

#5 is funnyrolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I like #1 & #2 best, however, as with a lot of the shots posted for this challenge, I don't see blatant rule breaking going on. Of those I would choose #2.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I personally LOVE #4 clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 6, 2011
    I like 1 and 2! Seems like we are all over the place on these....
  • Options
    cromwellcromwell Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    Like ic4u said, they're all great in their own way. I guess I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one, since 3 and 5 are my favorites. 3 breaks 3 rules that I see immediately and got to love the eyes and the action. Those eyes in number 5 really do it for me...if it weren't for the eyes I would choose 1 for my second choice.
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    #2 breaks the rule of odds and the perspective from above is great! I still like the window washer best...
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    #2 - It breaks the shoot at eye level rule. The shapes of the kitties are very effective, especially when combined with the square shapes on the floor and the round, clear dish.

#1 is a great kitty portrait. And Pounce is fun. But I still think #2 is the best.

I disagree with your title in #5. Based on experience with my two kitties, she will definitely mess with him again. :D
    Thanks Karen - & you're right, she will mess with him again - that curiosity thing works overtime with kitties! :)
    ic4u wrote: »
    These are all great in their own ways. My favorites are #1 and #2
    In #1 I love the textures in the trunks, and really liking the blue, and with the cat being so centered, I'm guessing that's the rule you're breaking.

#2 has a great viewpoint and the framing is very nice

#5 is funnyrolleyes1.gif
    Thanks Karin - I was trying to center her in the middle of the trunks, side to side & top to bottom. I probably break this rule the most, as I tend to center things - not really sure what the rule is exactly, just that you're not supposed to center things.
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I like #1 & #2 best, however, as with a lot of the shots posted for this challenge, I don't see blatant rule breaking going on. Of those I would choose #2.
    Thanks Dave - & I know what you mean about trying to tell from the photo what rule was broken (or rules). On these: 1 is centered; 2 is not shot on eye level (thanks Karen - I wasn't sure on that one, just knew it was an oddball comp); 3 is actually my favorite catch because of Finley in the air (& her weird green red-eye), but I really think the head being chopped off takes away from it rather than adds to it; 4 was an accident & normally would be a throw away shot for me - so overexposed it made my eyes hurt! 5 - not sure what the exact rule is, but it seems like the subject closer to the camera should be in focus rather than the one further away? In 6, the horizon is tilted & 7 the focus is off.
    I personally LOVE #4 clap.gif
    Thanks Tatiana - I was playing with a new P&S camera & kitty moved toward me during the little delay after I pushed the shutter!
    I love 1,2,3!
    Thanks Kyle!
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like 1 and 2! Seems like we are all over the place on these....
    Thanks Gretchen!
    cromwell wrote: »
    Like ic4u said, they're all great in their own way. I guess I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one, since 3 and 5 are my favorites. 3 breaks 3 rules that I see immediately and got to love the eyes and the action. Those eyes in number 5 really do it for me...if it weren't for the eyes I would choose 1 for my second choice.
    Thanks Scott - I love the action shots too, just trying to decide if or how much the broken rules are adding to the shots.

I've cropped #3, as the leg of the arbor was really distracting to me. Is this better?
    3a. Pounce!
    IMG4849b-M.jpg

I also did a baby shoot this week & have a couple I'd like to throw out there, maybe they're better than the kitties.

8. Center of the world
    IMG4477-M.jpg

9. Flower hats are so 'in' this season!
    IMG4486-M.jpg

Thanks for your comments - I'm heading out of town for a wedding. Am hoping I might get some shots there, but may not have time to work on them - can't hardly see them on the little netbook - I need a BIG screen! Any comments &/or suggestions appreciated!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    #2 breaks the rule of odds and the perspective from above is great! I still like the window washer best...
    Thanks - didn't think about that rule! (but I think the window washer is one of photo-funtasia's nice shots) :)
    ~Lillian~