SmugMug on Roku - NOW AVAILABLE !!

Comments

• cleworthcleworth Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2010
    cleworth wrote:
    Understood. I will stand by. Thanks again for the response.

Just an update: I re-uploaded the photos using the Lightroom plug in with the JPEG setting set to 100% and the slide show worked fine on Roku - although the captions don't show unless I stop the slideshow.
  • hoffmcshoffmcs Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    cleworth wrote:
    Just an update: I re-uploaded the photos using the Lightroom plug in with the JPEG setting set to 100% and the slide show worked fine on Roku - although the captions don't show unless I stop the slideshow.
    Which is by design because that window blocks a lot of the pictures and most people want to see their pictures. To see the captions, you can pause and manually advance the slideshow. The very simple remote and somewhat limited SDK does not provide a lot of flexibility with this.
  • cleworthcleworth Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    Which is by design because that window blocks a lot of the pictures and most people want to see their pictures. To see the captions, you can pause and manually advance the slideshow. The very simple remote and somewhat limited SDK does not provide a lot of flexibility with this.

OK. That will work fine. Thanks for your help and taking the time to program this.
    edited May 8, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote: »
    This is an issue with the Roku firmware that does not like the way SmugMug redirects links. The reason you first picture works and subsequent pictures do not is because the image falls in the "Large" bucket while the rest fall into the "Medium" size bucket. You can tell when you hover over the image and in the slide out see photo sizes. Tonight, I am going to see if I can get a work around going for this issue.

You can see how resolutions relate to image sizes on this help page, http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality.

Chris

I just released an update to the Roku channel that works around and effectively fixes the issue. It will now use the direct medium image instead of relying on the redirect. I still recommend uploading the largest size possible as they will look the best on your TV.
  • kmpkmp Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2010
    Videos not playing
    Hello,

I am really enjoying the SmugMug channel on Roku.

Today I am having a problem however. Videos will no longer play. They were fine, but now when attempting to play any video, the progress bar displays for a sec (instantly showing HD quality) and goes straight back to the list.

Anyone else having this problem? Hoping its an easy fix.

Thanks.
    edited June 2, 2010
    kmp wrote: »
    Hello,

I am really enjoying the SmugMug channel on Roku.

Today I am having a problem however. Videos will no longer play. They were fine, but now when attempting to play any video, the progress bar displays for a sec (instantly showing HD quality) and goes straight back to the list.

Anyone else having this problem? Hoping its an easy fix.

Thanks.

I am looking into this as I also see the issue with all videos. I believe the issue may be related to the newest firmware release by Roku. I am working with them to resolve this issue. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, just got back from a long weekend.

Chris
    edited June 2, 2010
    I am looking into this as I also see the issue with all videos. I believe the issue may be related to the newest firmware release by Roku. I am working with them to resolve this issue. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, just got back from a long weekend.

Chris

Although I believe the issue is related to the new firmware, I was able to write a fix to work around the issue. I submitted it to Roku and it should be released in the next day or two. I will let you know when it is available.
    edited June 4, 2010
    Although I believe the issue is related to the new firmware, I was able to write a fix to work around the issue. I submitted it to Roku and it should be released in the next day or two. I will let you know when it is available.

The channel has been released. Just refresh the channel by visiting the channel store and then exiting. Let me know if you have any more issues.
  • mlizambrimlizambri Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2010
    Roku
    Love the app you wrote, thanks. My Roku updated it's firmware recently and although I can browse popular photos by others, when I try to view my smugmug pictures it gets hung up on "retrieving".
    edited June 6, 2010
    mlizambri wrote: »
    Love the app you wrote, thanks. My Roku updated it's firmware recently and although I can browse popular photos by others, when I try to view my smugmug pictures it gets hung up on "retrieving".

I was able to view your photos fine. Are you still seeing the issue? It may have been a temporary network thing. Let me know if you are still having problems.
  • bgatesbgates Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    vertical images pixelated
    Hi Chris,

I have been using your SmugMug channel on my Roku for about a year now, just after you released it. I love it and it has worked great. Thank you very much for doing this and making it available.

But I recently had a failure of my Roku box. They sent me a new one (XD/S model) and everything works fine except for a glitch with SmugMug. Horizontal photos display fine, but vertical photos are pixelated, as if it is a very low-resolution image. I normally upload 1024X768, and I don't recall having this problem in the past. Can you suggest what might be wrong?

Here is my Smug page:

http://bobgatesphoto.smugmug.com/

Here is a gallery I was just working on today where all the verticals are pixelated (thought it's the same for older galleries too):

http://www.bobgatesphoto.com/Other/hidden/Young-Actors-Feb-21-2001/15937642_6cx6D#1195444735_SBzKi

Thanks,

Bob
  • karenpoorekarenpoore Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2011
    We just installed Roku and have updated software, but when I go to the channel store to add it states it is not supported. Went on their instand chat and they only said to make sure the software is up to date ... and it is.
    Does it make a difference that we are going the wireless way?
    HELP ... I would love to see my Smugmug on TV. I have a standard TV and not HD.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Karen Poore
    www.karenpoore@gmail.com
    My Smugmug info:
    www.karenkennedy.smugmug.com
    karenkennedy47@yahoo.com
    ps Is it better to hook this box up directly to the computer as opposed to wireless?
    ps2 Sorry about the two proper names ... got married three years ago, but I have not gone to ALL the agencies required to update my name.
    ps3 Trying to solve the problem here and I am on the Roku website. Could it be even though we have basic cable we are not using it ... we have (or my husband has) switched to an antenna and local channels? Do not quite understand this... Netflix is playing fine.
    A couple of weeks ago, Roku released a SDK to add channels to their platform. I decided to write a channel to view SmugMug accounts.

The channel currently includes:
    • Popular Photos - Browse popular photos (from smugmug.com/popular feed)
    • Albums - View Recently Updated Albums (reverse date order)
    • Categories & Subcategories - Browse your albums by category
    • Friends & Family Albums - Browse your linked Friends and Family SmugMug sites
    • Video - Video only albums show list of videos while mixed albums show a selector screen
    • Random Slideshow - Generate a random slideshow from all albums

I hope you like the channel and look forward to your feedback.

Chris

EDIT: 1/29/2010 - The channel is now officially available in the Roku Channel Store! Please post any feedback in this thread.
    edited June 23, 2011
    It does work on standard tv but it sounds like Roku is blocking it. I will try and test it this weekend and follow up with Roku if that is the issue.
    edited June 23, 2011
    It does work on standard tv but it sounds like Roku is blocking it. I will try and test it this weekend and follow up with Roku if that is the issue.

Thanks!
    By the way, I cannot get CNET either ... "not supported"
    edited June 23, 2011

Note: I have "liked" their Facebook page and posted the problem there too.
    edited June 23, 2011
    karenpoore wrote: »
    Note: I have "liked" their Facebook page and posted the problem there too.

Okay, so I just connected and I thought we could see our own galleries! That was a waste of time.

Update: Hold on I think I am getting some where!
    edited June 23, 2011
    Okay, so I just connected and I thought we could see our own galleries! That was a waste of time.

Update: Hold on I think I am getting some where!

Update: trying to put in activation code and have tried three different codes. Maybe it takes a few mins. ...
    edited June 23, 2011
    When I put in the code a blank Smugmug page comes up on my laptop? I did log on to my account too.

Update: Just got the message " Request timed out" " Unable to link to SmugMug within time limit"

Update: Again
    Update: Okay, I have tried five times to activate and I am getting a little frustrated ... so I will give up for now!
    edited June 23, 2011
    I just saw that you guys do not support this and I should email Chris ... so I did.
    Thanks you guys
  • TourKickTourKick Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    A couple of weeks ago, Roku released a SDK to add channels to their platform. I decided to write a channel to view SmugMug accounts.

The channel currently includes:
    • Popular Photos - Browse popular photos (from smugmug.com/popular feed)
    • Albums - View Recently Updated Albums (reverse date order)
    • Categories & Subcategories - Browse your albums by category
    • Friends & Family Albums - Browse your linked Friends and Family SmugMug sites
    • Video - Video only albums show list of videos while mixed albums show a selector screen
    • Random Slideshow - Generate a random slideshow from all albums
    I hope you like the channel and look forward to your feedback.

Chris

EDIT: 1/29/2010 - The channel is now officially available in the Roku Channel Store! Please post any feedback in this thread.

wings.gifCould you please share the code that enables video yes/no for mixed albums? How do you detect if something is a video?
    I've been waiting for someone to come up with this! :)
    Thanks.
    edited July 7, 2011
    TourKick wrote: »
    wings.gifCould you please share the code that enables video yes/no for mixed albums? How do you detect if something is a video?
    I've been waiting for someone to come up with this! :)
    Thanks.

You can see all the code for the channel on github (https://github.com/chrishoffman/roku-smugmug/). It looks like I keyed off the Duration to determine if it is a video or not. If Duration is defined, it is a video. Hope this helps!
    edited July 7, 2011
    I just saw that you guys do not support this and I should email Chris ... so I did.
    Thanks you guys

I tried to link and it works fine. Did you try another browser to see if you could get it to work? Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
  • cfphotoscfphotos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 12, 2011
    Hi Chris,

The SmugMug channel capability on Roku is a feature I really enjoy. One feature I'd really like to see is the ability to enter a password for user galleries. Most of my galleries are password-protected (not ready for prime time) but do have external links enabled, and I can't view them via Roku.

Congrats, and best regards,
    Chip
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2011
    Totally AWESOME! 09-21-11
    Chris,

You rock! I stumbled across this post in DGRIN and went and set up my ROKU for my site. WOW! So easy to do, too. Maybe I have missed the fanfare about this - I have been a Pro member for 5 years. Seems like SmugMug should be ACTIVELY supporting this feature. I just went to the SmugMug home page and looked at the "features and pricing" area. No mention about viewing through ROKU at all. What a shame. I'm sitting here enjoying a ROKU driven random image slideshow of all my images (13,000+). It's fun to see images I have not looked at in years!

I think I will add a DGRIN comment that SmugMug needs to add this to their features listings. If this is working on ROKU, I wonder what other things like ROKU is supported?

Thanks for adding this programming - it's just too cool!

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
    http://www.southeasternphotography.com
  • johnnyblazejohnnyblaze Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2011
    Having trouble with Roku
    Hey there. I received my Roku as a present for Christmas and was eager to add Smugmug as a channel. After adding Smugmug to my channel list, I was unable to link it to my account. I did not have trouble adding/linking any of the other channels that I was interested in. The error message doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read it......however, it just asks me to try again later. I've been trying for a few days now and still getting same response. Is this something that you can help me with?

Thank you for any help you may offer,

JBlaze
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    Works great for me, one of the reasons I bought a Roku tonight was this Channel.. Thanks so much!!

clap.gif
    edited January 2, 2012
    Hey there. I received my Roku as a present for Christmas and was eager to add Smugmug as a channel. After adding Smugmug to my channel list, I was unable to link it to my account. I did not have trouble adding/linking any of the other channels that I was interested in. The error message doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read it......however, it just asks me to try again later. I've been trying for a few days now and still getting same response. Is this something that you can help me with?

Thank you for any help you may offer,

JBlaze

I just found out that the site I am hosting all the linking stuff (Google App Engine) runs out of its free quota at about 8 PM every night since Christmas. Try doing it in the morning and see how you make out. I am looking to get this resolved shortly though.
    edited January 2, 2012
    Chris,

You rock! I stumbled across this post in DGRIN and went and set up my ROKU for my site. WOW! So easy to do, too. Maybe I have missed the fanfare about this - I have been a Pro member for 5 years. Seems like SmugMug should be ACTIVELY supporting this feature. I just went to the SmugMug home page and looked at the "features and pricing" area. No mention about viewing through ROKU at all. What a shame. I'm sitting here enjoying a ROKU driven random image slideshow of all my images (13,000+). It's fun to see images I have not looked at in years!

I think I will add a DGRIN comment that SmugMug needs to add this to their features listings. If this is working on ROKU, I wonder what other things like ROKU is supported?

Thanks for adding this programming - it's just too cool!

Troup Nightingale
    Southeastern Photography
    http://www.southeasternphotography.com
    Way late but thanks!! Glad you are enjoying it.
    edited January 2, 2012
    cfphotos wrote: »
    Hi Chris,

The SmugMug channel capability on Roku is a feature I really enjoy. One feature I'd really like to see is the ability to enter a password for user galleries. Most of my galleries are password-protected (not ready for prime time) but do have external links enabled, and I can't view them via Roku.

Congrats, and best regards,
    Chip
    Sorry for responding to a three month old question, but here it is anyway. You should be able to view all your private albums when you authenticate to your account. You may have selected public when you linked your account, so only those are available. In the control panel, under Authorized Apps, change the authentication to Private and see how that works for you.

Chris
  • WidgetCEOWidgetCEO Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2012
    Viewing My SmugMug Account on Roku
    I've installed the SmugMug channel (thanks) on my Roku box. However, when I go to it all I am able to see is a full screen version of the SmugMug logo.

I also have not been able to figure out how to get to my specific Roku account. I am not very technically oriented so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you and thanks again for the channel.

Peter