Options

Don't shoot into the sun??

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited July 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
4th of July view from the balcony in Newport, RI - do these work??

IMGP3240a-M.jpg

IMGP3241-M.jpg

Or maybe: Don't play with fire??

IMGP3345-M.jpg

IMGP3374-M.jpg
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    There are things to like about all of these. And I can see a rule broken in each one. But I don't find them especially compelling and the broken rule does not Make the photo.

#1 and #2 are pretty sunsets. I think I like #1 better. The boats in the foreground lead the eye to the flag then the bridge and the sun. The movement is similar in the 2nd, but the mast is more prominent and breaks up the flow a bit.

The last 2 are decent firework shots - not easy when you are far away. The first is cut off at the top and the boats are a bit blurry and I think I like that effect. The last is cool because you have the crescent moon in it, too.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    #1 is my favorite of these, although the theme aspect isn't screaming at me. Yeah you're shooting into the sun, but it is a sunset, so not sure it's really breaking that rule. Of the fireworks, I prefer the first one
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Another possibility? - uneven horizon

IMGP3553-M.jpg
    --- Kono ---
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2011
    I like the second shot
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited July 6, 2011
    I like the second shot

15524779-Ti.gif I like the balance of the composition in the second and this shot puts a bit more emphasis on the effects of shooting into the sun, so it lends some weight to the rule being broken - even though it is taken as the sun is setting.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I also agree - & for a sunset shot, I would think that all the boats would be considered clutter? But I really like all the masts sticking up into the golden sky - maybe darkening them a smidge (or up the contrast?) might make them more prominent against the sunset. To me, that's what makes it more special than just a sunset.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    There are things to like about all of these. And I can see a rule broken in each one. But I don't find them especially compelling and the broken rule does not Make the photo.

#1 and #2 are pretty sunsets. I think I like #1 better. The boats in the foreground lead the eye to the flag then the bridge and the sun. The movement is similar in the 2nd, but the mast is more prominent and breaks up the flow a bit.

The last 2 are decent firework shots - not easy when you are far away. The first is cut off at the top and the boats are a bit blurry and I think I like that effect. The last is cool because you have the crescent moon in it, too.

I agree... they are pretty shots but the broken rule isn't clear. Try shooting into the sun earlier in the day... get the lens flare, get the blown out stuff - take the reason you shouldn't break the rule and make it the subject. :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Thanx for the comments - I'll try tweaking them when I get home (only one more night here- then meander home tomorrow).

Another possibility - politically incorrect (and crooked)?? :D

IMGP3059-M.jpg
    --- Kono ---