Options

smugmug api is parsing image filename and putting pieces into my image keywords!

knykny Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
Help!

I have a program that uploads images including specified keywords via the api 2.2. I've recently noticed that my keywords are now polluted with things like IMG and 8036 when the filename was IMG_8036.jpg. This is making a mess of the website that enables search on the images, because 8036 might be someone's race bib number and now they are also seeing some random image that just happened to be called IMG_8036.

Why oh why would anyone think it a good idea to auto-tag images based on the filename?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited July 8, 2011
    kny wrote: »
    ...why would anyone think it a good idea to auto-tag images based on the filename?
    Are you aware that you can stop that behavior? Go to the control panel, Settings tab, set filename keywording to disabled.

See http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel.

--- Denise
  • Options
    knykny Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    Are you aware that you can stop that behavior? Go to the control panel, Settings tab, set filename keywording to disabled.

See http://www.smugmug.com/help/control-panel.

--- Denise

Well, I'll be darned. What this doesn't explain is how I have uploaded over 100,000 images with keywords before and only recently has this behavior started, because I am quite confident I have never been in Control Panel->Settings before messing with this toggle. But, sure enough, in the Control Panel->Settings, this field was set to enabled. So, I'll assume disabling it will cause it to cease. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited July 9, 2011
    kny wrote: »
    ...I am quite confident I have never been in Control Panel->Settings before messing with this toggle.
    I think that setting is relatively new - could be within the last year or so. And I believe the default is enabled. It makes sense if you rename your photos, but for those of us who have sequentially numbered images disabled is a better choice for that setting.

--- Denise