Options

Tips for using tilt-shift lenses in wedding photography

bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited July 9, 2011 in Weddings
I did a tips blog post for using tilt shift lenses in wedding photography. I'd post the whole thing here but there are more photos in the post than are allowed here...

http://bobbyearle.com/blog/tilt-shift-lens-use-in-weddings/

It's got some detailed examples. If there's enough interest in the comments of the blog, I'll get a part two up next week :)

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    As someone without a T/S lens, I think I like it. It shows good ways to use it without going over the top... I think a lot of people criticize the use of a T/S because some photographers take it so far that it seems to be more important than the subject of the image is. Most of your examples are nice and subtle and therefore seem to create a feeling that is akin to the feeling that a narrow DOF might achieve, subtly drawing attention to the point that matters.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Thanks, Kinkajou! You actually make a point I make a lot. Often times, people criticize the T/S lenses because they see less than average photographers shoot poorly with it -- and since T/S lenses are so easily identifiable, people label the lens as gimmicky. But the way I look at it is that if I'm to disregard a T/S solely because some photographers use it poorly, then I guess I need to throw out my 24L, 50L, and the rest of them :)

Again, thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    I love your TS work. It actually made me go get the nikor 45M TS. I think I will eventually get the wide angle version as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Wow! That's so good to hear!!! Thanks, man :D
  • Options
    TomHarmonTomHarmon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    Just picked one up myself. It's a little difficult to get used to, but I'm liking what I see. It's definitely a plus in my lens, even if it doesnt come out often.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    There's no limit to how many photos you can embed, only to how many you can attach. And embedding is better, in any case, since attaching applies some brutal compression to your images.

We'd love to have that here. We're working on moving our tutorials and reviews from our SmugMug site to incorporate them better right here on Dgrin. We'll be making that change sometime around the time we roll out our new 2.0 look.

Please, if you need any help or support in porting your tutorial to Dgrin, let us know! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops