Options

Trip to Maine - suggestions anyone?

SSSSSS Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
I've got some frequent flyer miles that I must use or lose so in a few weeks I'm off to Bar Harbor courtesy of Southwest via Manchester NH. I'll use the better part of Monday driving up the coast, spend that night in Bar Harbor, then Tuesday in Acadia, and then I'm not sure where to spend Tuesday night and Wednesday. Any suggestions? Any one familiar? I fly out of Manchester 7pm Wednesday evening so I have planty of time to shoot but would rather not be so far away that I spend most of the day driving back to Manchester. BTW we have an office in Amesbury MA so I've been to Cape Neddick and the York area several times and would like to try somewhere new.

602406635_ogTuA-L.jpg

Perkin's Cove near York Beach, ME

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Steve

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited July 2, 2011
    If it were me I'd spend two nights in Bar Harbor, giving enough time for a full day in Acadia + a few hours the next morning as well. Head back to the airport in Manchester by driving to Bangor and taking interstate 95. Yes, I know, it looks further than using Augusta as a turning point to the coast. Trust me, it's a more consistent and shorter (time) drive.

While the bulk of Acadia is on Mt. Desert Island, there is a portion of the park that is not, and it's well worth a visit to the Schoodic Peninsula - http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/upload/schoodic.pdf. It's further east than the main section of the park.

Take the first day to drive up the coast, stopping as the scenery dictates.

If bridges interest you, there is an observatory in one of the towers of the Penobscot Narrows Bridge - http://www.visitmaine.com/attractions/sightseeing_tours/historic_and_unique_bridges/penobscot_narrows_bridge/.

Closer to your starting point on the coast (a little south of Portland), the Wells Reserve is beautiful - http://www.wellsreserve.org/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    SSSSSS Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2011
    Thanks Denise. I've been leaning toward spending both nights in Bar Harbor too. I'll definitely go to Schoodic Peninsula and I'll be checking out the other links for posiible stops. Good advice, thanks again. BTW I got a little inspiration from you May Galleries, nice shots, I love the misty views.

Steve
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Denise knows that area very well so I'd follow her advice. Having been to Acadia for the 2009 Shootout, I would certainly recommend more than 1 day there. Have a good trip!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2011
    Hope this is not too late. Denise's suggestions about returning via Bangor is right on if you need to make good time back to Manchester. I also recommend a visit to Schoodic and staying more than one night.

Since I live in Portland, I will suggest Portland Head Lighthouse and Fort Williams Park (the location of the lighthouse) in Cape Elizabeth. Look offshore from Portland Head and you will see Ram Ledge Light. Other lighthouses near Portland are the Cape Elizabeth light at Two Lights (also a good place for a lobster dinner outside at "The Lobster Shack"), Spring Point Ledge light and Bug Light in South Portland. If you like old buildings downtown Portland (the Old Port) is interesting.

If you are a map person look for Delorme Maps in Yarmouth. Many people like to stop at LL Bean in Freeport.

When you are driving up the coast, any road named "Shore Road" is usually worth a detour. A detour off Rt. 1 at Northport to Bayside is interesting. The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland is having a good photo exhibit now (Paul Caponigro) and a Weyth exhibition "Andrew Wyeth, Christina’s World and the Olson House". If you have time and are a fan of the Christina's World paint, then a trip to the Olsen House in Cushing. The Lighthouse in Rockland. Peter Ralston's gallery in Rockport is a good stop. Look on the map for Mechanic Street/Beauchamp Point/Calderwood Lane for a scenic drive between Rockport and Camden.

In Acadia, you can get a good sunrise shot from near Thunderhole. Climb the Bubbles for good shots of Jordan Pond. Thuya Garden and Asticou Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor are good visits if you like flowers. Bass Harbor light can be good both at sunrise and sunset. Nice shots from the summit of Cadillac Mt. if you walk the trails away from the parking lot. If you want to get a sunset shot from Cadillac Mt. go to the first overlook on the right going back down from the summit (I think it is the Blue Hill overlook). I met Art Wolfe the last time I was shooting there. Nice guy. Otter Cliffs is a good shooting spot and there is a nice rock covered beach at Seawall.

We like eating breakfast at Two Cats in Bar Harbor.