Options

Proof Options

Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited September 15, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hello all! I have a couple of questions regarding "proofing".

(1) Are there still options in the works to make it where we will be able to change the word "PROOF" to something else? (I'm really into this new customization thing)! :D

(2) Is there (or will there be) a way to not have the word "PROOF" show up on the thumbs, but only on the larger images? Yes, I want my cake and eat it too!!!

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Comments

• Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    Watermarking Photos
    I've changed the title on this to read Watermark Options in case that makes more sense here. If anyone has any ideas on this or if something is in the mill being worked on, that's great. I would just like to know prior to turning my site up to clients.

Thanks in advance.

Fred
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    Watermarking is on the to do list for the smugmug team. I don't know when or how it will be implemented, but rest assured they are working on it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2005
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. Hopefully this is fairly high up on the list.

Again thanks!

Fred
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2005
    Techman1 wrote:
    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info. Hopefully this is fairly high up on the list.

Again thanks!

Fred
    Hopefully this is VERY, VERY soon. PLEASE, pretty please consider moving this UP the priority list. My 13 y/o daughter just told me a couple nights ago that the kids at school figured out the print screen option :( they hit cntl+print screen, copy it to e-mail or whatever, and then have their friends who know photoshop tweak it as much as possilble for printing.
    I havn't been using the PROOF because it litterally blocks viewing important parts of the photo... now what :(

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    See what Google does for watermarking
    Cindy wrote:
    Hopefully this is VERY, VERY soon. PLEASE, pretty please consider moving this UP the priority list. My 13 y/o daughter just told me a couple nights ago that the kids at school figured out the print screen option :( they hit cntl+print screen, copy it to e-mail or whatever, and then have their friends who know photoshop tweak it as much as possilble for printing.
    I havn't been using the PROOF because it litterally blocks viewing important parts of the photo... now what :(

Thanks,
    Cindy
    In case anyone from smugmug is looking for ideas on how to make a proof mark that isn't as obtrusive as the current one, but still accomplishes it's goal, look at what Google does for Google maps. It seems to work quite effectively. Nobody could print one of their maps and not know it was Google and their watermarks don't seem to get in the way. Here's an example which looks even better at full size:

36138491-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    Cindy wrote:

Thanks,
    Cindy
    When dealing with those types of people, unless the PROOF is large AND IN THE WAY, they will print it out anyway...I wouldn't be surprised if they'd even print it with the current PROOF just the way it is. If they won't print it, they'd definately keep the digital file anyway.
  • Options
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    When dealing with those types of people, unless the PROOF is large AND IN THE WAY, they will print it out anyway...I wouldn't be surprised if they'd even print it with the current PROOF just the way it is. If they won't print it, they'd definately keep the digital file anyway.
    I guarantee you this happens right now.

• Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I guarantee you this happens right now.
    Instead of PROOF, I'd like to be able to put a bunch of horizonal lines across the picture, maybe even a grid...would it be hard to have the user put in a number to decide how many lines are in the grid for each picture?

Hmm, a grid might be easy to photoshop out...i dunno.
  • Options
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Instead of PROOF, I'd like to be able to put a bunch of horizonal lines across the picture, maybe even a grid...would it be hard to have the user put in a number to decide how many lines are in the grid for each picture?

This is just me talking, and I should say that I certainly don't make a killing on sales. In fact, I've made WAY more on webdesign in the past 2 weeks than in 6 months of selling photos...sigh. Annnnyyyyhow, watermarking to me seems kind of fadish but generally unnecessary. My thought is that if a person wants a print bad enough he's going to be able to get it. Also if that person doesn't care if that print looks ridiculous when it's printed because the file he's using is a smugmug medium or even large size, then I bet you he or she won't care if there is a "PROOF" right in the middle or a grid. There have been people in this very forum that have said they have actually seen their pictures printed out with a big "PROOF" on them. There's no way to stop that kind of thing unless you print out all your pictures and them sell them in a shop on main street. There just isn't.

What you can do is to prevent people from having any access to the Original sized photos and even the Large sized ones if you're super worried about it (and you may be and that's your perrogative). That way you can rest assured that nobody is going to be getting any prints that are particularly worthwhile from your site.

But that's just one guy's opinion, nothing more.

• Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    You would be amazed what can be done to copyright marking systems.

If you're really interested, then a guy called Markus Kuhn at the Computing Lab in Cambridge has done some really neat stuff attacking copyright marking systems:

Workshop paper: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fapp2/publications/ih98-attacks.pdf

Journal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fapp2/publications/ieee99-infohiding.pdf

Well worth the read :):

Luke
  • Options
    Watermarking Images
    It's really just an added deterrent. I know that people can download the image if they want and if they really want to print it out with a watermark on it...I say go for it, but if they show someone my image, I would like for that watermark to have my name so maybe the next person will actually buy the print from me.
    :soapbox

Also, I would really like to see the watermark not show up on the thumbnail or on the category photo, but on the enlarged image itself. I would hope that they "SMUGMUG" could implement this fairly easily and then give us the option of what we want the watermark to say. PROOF is fine, but again I would prefer to see my website name or something else.

Thanks and I too hope this gets up on the list for release soon.
    Fred