Options

First Post - Lake Sunset

ChesterJackChesterJack Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
edited July 27, 2011 in Landscapes
Very much the novice here. But do want to get better and would like feedback on this sunset from 4th of July in New Hampshire.

Shot with a Nikon D7000 70-300MM @ 135mm 1/25 f13 ISO640

Thanks for the feedback
"Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter

Comments

• Options
    edited July 14, 2011
    Here is another

75mm ISO 640 1/160 f11
    "Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart, cause I can hear it beat out loud" Robert Hunter
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Welcome to Dgrin! I like the composition of the first a lot. There's a lot of layers from left to right that give the image a lot of abstract appeal. The second shot doesn't have as much visual interest to me, although it still is a pretty scene. Hope to see more from you!
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I had the opposite reaction. I like the second one's color much better than the first. The sky looks over exposed in the first image and seem generally too bright for me to accept it as a sunset. Also, the water in the first shot isn't captured in a way that contributes (a reflection could've been pretty cool but the water looks too choppy).

I'm also curious if the high ISO setting was used to avoid blurring from the wind or if there's a better reason (not intended as a complaint or criticism, just curious about the choice).

It's always good to see new talent stepping forward!

Tim S.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Welcome! I have to agree with Thwack. I also prefer the second one as a sunset shot.

One suggestion would be to move the horizon line well above or well below centre (rule of thirds). It would give a different viewpoint and create more interest.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. This really is an emerging hobby for me and I truly appreciate the comments and questions.

The comment about the sky in the first shot being overexposed I totally agree with. While I like the contrast the shades of green created in the shot, I could not get them (my limitations) without adding a whole bunch of light and thus the sky was screaming.

The rule of thirds is something I continue to struggle with but I agree if applied here would have made the shot more interesting.. Will continue to work on that.

The high ISO was because the way I understand it, is to get a decent shot in low light conditions pumping up the ISO is a way to work towards that? Again, my limited experience will continue to have me making these types of errors I guess. But I promise to work at it!!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    Pumping up the ISO gives you a faster shutter speed in poor light (like sunset time). But it also tends to make pictures grainier (depending on your camera's quality, some can go pretty high and still have great shots).

If you have a tripod, fast shutter speeds aren't as critical. If the wind is blowing hard, slow shutter speeds can cause blurry clouds of course. Moving water in your sunset shots will appear different depending on your shutter speed (which you can influence up or down by playing with the ISO setting as well as via other means).

Slower shutter speeds can help smooth slightly choppy water when going for reflections. The reflection won't be as crisp as it would if the water were dead flat, but often the effect is still interesting.

For flowing water, slower shutter speeds at sunset can create interesting surface effects on the reflection. I often shoot low ISO at sunset to see what sort of water-induced effect I can get.

You might want to play with that second shot a bit - try cropping off the entire upper chunk of clouds. They're fairly bland in color so they don't add a lot to the image. Cropping that much off will make the shot look much wider than it does now (almost like a panoramic shot). You might even take a little more than that off the top…

It will also push the horizon line up above the photo's center. It won't quite get it to the 1/3rd distance from the top, but it'll be closer.

I like sunset shots to have a wider-than-normal perspective but it's a very personal choice (try it, if it sucks, you still have the original). :D

It's all a great excuse to go shoot more sunsets. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    a cropped version of your second shot
    Just a real quick recropping of your second shot to show what I was trying to explain (about lopping off the top chunk of clouds).

While cropping, I noticed the sun was dead center, so I pulled in one side of the crop to push the sun off center horizontally as well. I've attached the tweaked version just to show the effect…you have the original, so you can do this with far better quality results if you're interested.

Normally, I would cut off some of the bottom as well to get more of a pano feel if possible. But that didn't work well for this shot (the best reflection is along the bottom, so trimming that left only the bland water just below the horizon).

Keep shooting and keep posting!
  • Options
    kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    I like the crop Thwack did for you. The first image is too bland for me but the second holds good potential. Bold strong colours are good.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Amazing what the crop did for the shot. Almost like i did not take it and it is a totally different picture!

Again thanks so much for the comments and advice.

I will post again soon.

Jack