Options

I need advice on lens selection

kgarrett11kgarrett11 Registered Users Posts: 525 Major grins
edited July 17, 2011 in Technique
I have been shooting a Premier Development League soccer team here in Jacksonville. I recently acquired a Nikon D300 to go along with my D3. I have a 300mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. What lens should I use on what body? The games are usually at 4pm so unless it is real cloudy light is no problem for the 28-300mm and I am usually about 3ft from the sideline. I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give.
www.Prideinphotography.com
Powered by Smugmug
Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
Equipment
Nikon D4, D300

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited July 10, 2011
    Lenses of maximum aperture f2.8 or better will activate the "high precision" capabilities of your AF sensor (center sensor only, I believe.)

That said, I can find many examples of the Nikkor 28-300mm, f3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S used in sports.

In good light I think that any of these lenses can do the job, but I would tend to go for the f2.8 aperture lenses myself. I suggest using the 300mm, f2.8 on your D300 for the reach, when you need it, and the 70-200mm, f2.8 on the D3. Don't be afraid to mix and match lenses according to your shooting style however.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Lenses of maximum aperture f2.8 or better will activate the "high precision" capabilities of your AF sensor (center sensor only, I believe.)

That said, I can find many examples of the Nikkor 28-300mm, f3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S used in sports.

In good light I think that any of these lenses can do the job, but I would tend to go for the f2.8 aperture lenses myself. I suggest using the 300mm, f2.8 on your D300 for the reach, when you need it, and the 70-200mm, f2.8 on the D3. Don't be afraid to mix and match lenses according to your shooting style however.

Thanks, that is what I was leaning toward, but taking the 28-300mm with me just in case. If it were one of their night games then there would be no question about which to use.
    Powered by Smugmug
    Three passions wildlife, golf and the STEELERS
    Equipment
    Nikon D4, D300
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »

One other thing that I just thought of, I also have a 1.7TC. I have never used it for any sports photography. Would it hamper me in getting sharp pictures of the action if I were to put it on either the 300mm or the 70-200mm?