Options

DSS #81 - Mud boiling apart

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited July 18, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Had staff function in Rotorua last night, and stayed over. Fine frosty day (yeah no rain!) so spent morning taking photos. At Waiotapu, was undone for sun by with being cold (5C) the steam rising from the Mud Pool was blocking the sun. Still managed to get some shots.

#1. Boiling Apart (Mud Pool, Waiotapu)

[IMG][/img]201107171003782WaiotapuMud-M.jpg

#2. Boiling Apart (Mud Pool, Waiotapu)

[IMG][/img]201107171003782WaiotapuMud2-M.jpg

Not sure in better to crop in, or show more of the surrounding mud. Comments be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Cool shot! The crop definitely works better for this challenge. I'd leave more of the second bubble-thing in the photo to add some more context to the shot.

I'd also try playing more with some sharpening/contrast settings to bring out the texture some more.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Definitely cool! I have always loved watching mud pools since I first saw them in Yellowstone at age 10. They have such a slow bubble.

I agree with Linda's suggestions.
  • Options
    anniemaxanniemax Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Agree that crop in works best. What a perfect shot with the upper glob positioned point-to-point with the lower. Very cool capture.
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. I too have always found the mud pools fascinating. Problem is can never tell when they are going to boil up, or how much. The Mud Pool is now well fenced off (too well fenced off to get close up for photographing!) - when I first saw it in the late 1970's was just a muddy pool at the side of the road which could easily have walked into before realising was boiling hot!

Not too good with post processing yet - have applied some sharpening and contrast, plus changed crop. Hopefully not overdone. Your comments on the post processing be appreciated.

[IMG][/img]201107171003782WaiotapuMudPool-M.jpg
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Definitely not over done! The crop looks great, too. Nice work. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    Definitely not over done! The crop looks great, too. Nice work. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I agree...lovely!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    anniemaxanniemax Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Sharpening really helps, I think. As does your crop that includes more of the interesting texture on the lower right - helps direct the eye to the 2 globules.