Options

Jeff's sports image (HS senior)

Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited July 18, 2011 in People
Einsteins w/medium softboxes on either side and behind - feathered forward.

5947962711_d7a823e074_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    A grid light spotted on the eyes to capture their intensity and you'll have a REAL winner.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2011
    Main light was a socked beauty dish...deliberately turned off so the viewer could not identify with the subject.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Cool! Cool! Cool!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Main light was a socked beauty dish...deliberately turned off so the viewer could not identify with the subject.
    My bad. From the title, I thought it was being used as a senior portrait. Now that I know the intention, it's perfect just as is.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    My bad. From the title, I thought it was being used as a senior portrait. Now that I know the intention, it's perfect just as is.

It is a senior portrait - jut not one you would typically see.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I'm with Bryce on this one. Very creative shot, but just a touch more light on the eyes and it's there. I don't think it would ruin the "mystery" you're going for. It would just add the slightest bit of intensity.

As is, it's a great Gatorade ad, but as a senior pic, I think we do need to be able to identify with Jeff a little more.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Don't get wrapped up in that it's a senior portrait. We shoot for our clients and what they want - not solely based on what type of session it is. When our client says "I love this shot" (see below) and we say "we'll make it much more harsh and darker in the face" and they want that shot - we're going to shoot it.

The Gatorade ad part is correct - both the image of Jeff and the one below were shot for that feel. Nothing states seniors can be delivered Gatorade/Nike ad types of portraits. In fact, our HS seniors frequently ask for that and we're one of the few in our market that delivers them.

This is not the only image from his session. As noted above, the main was a socked beauty dish and was turned off for this image. We have others withe main metered "properly" and some with the main very low power for subtle fill. By using the PocketWizard system (FlexTT5 and AC3) we are able to make all these decisions from the camera, without ever touching the strobe.

We get the images we know that will make mom happy and the ones we know that will make our subject happy.

4865200356_e0234d0b11_b.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Well you should have said you were using Pocketwizards in the first place! I officially retract my opinion.

Seriously, they're both great shots. I'm glad your clients were happy with them.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Well you should have said you were using Pocketwizards in the first place! I officially retract my opinion.

Seriously, they're both great shots. I'm glad your clients were happy with them.
    In that case...

Items uses in this set
    • 2 human male photographers
    • 1 human male subject
    • 1 set of football shoulder pads
    • 1 black jersey with white numbers
    • 3 Paul C. Buff Einstein strobes
    • 1 Alien Bee beauty dish
    • 1 Alien Bee beauty dish diffusion sock
    • 2 PhotoFlex medium softboxes
    • 2 PhotoFlex softbox speedrings
    • 1 C stand
    • 1 boom arm
    • 2 sandbags
    • 2 Wescott lightstands
    • 3 PocketWizard MC2s
    • 3 black power cords for Einsteins
    • 1 black extension power cord
    • 1 surge protector
    • 1 Canon 40D
    • 1 Canon battery grip for Canon 40D
    • 2 Canon batteries for Canon 40D
    • 1 Sandisk compact flash card (8gb)
    • 1 Canon 24-70 2.8L lens
    • 1 Canon lens hood for 24-70 2.8L lens
    • 1 Canon hand strap for Canon 40D
    • 1 rapid shoulder strap w/ quick release
    • 1 PocketWizard FlexTT5
    • 1 PocketWizard AC3
    • 1 Bogen Expan system for backdrops
    • 1 Black roll of seamless paper
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    You're either trying to get rid of me or you have too much time on your hands.. or BOTH!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    My time is extremely limited. Yet like those that have mentored me - I always have time to educate.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Random question ... Would you mind posting the / a original? I'm just curious how much work you did to the background. When I shoot with a black background ... For the love of me ... It's never really black. I don't mind darkening it, easy enough ... Just curious how a pro's photo looks like :D
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Random question ... Would you mind posting the / a original? I'm just curious how much work you did to the background. When I shoot with a black background ... For the love of me ... It's never really black. I don't mind darkening it, easy enough ... Just curious how a pro's photo looks like :D

Absolutely. I'll actually do one better and post the setup shot too. You'll see there was no work needed to the backdrop (the darker backdrop is a result of the contrasty b/w conversion - all done in LR3) as we kept the lights far enough away and the back lights feathered forward. You'll see the main is feathered down as well. Joel Grimes has mastered this...it's his setup for about 80% or more of his work - then the composite.

I accidentally lied about the backdrop - it's grey seamless - not black. Even better. :)

The editing was extremely light - may seem like a lot but it wasn't. Used our normal contrasty b/w conversion in LR plus a re-crop. Amped the exposure some along with the blacks. In PS I quickly fixed a couple skin areas, a very light skin smoothing layer, sharpening and very light dodge/burn. I didn't need much d/b as we painted him well with light SOOC.

That's it.

SOOC
    JeffP-7772_web-2.jpg

Setup
    JeffP-7726_web.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Absolutely. I'll actually do one better and post the setup shot too. You'll see there was no work needed to the backdrop (the darker backdrop is a result of the contrasty b/w conversion - all done in LR3) as we kept the lights far enough away and the back lights feathered forward. You'll see the main is feathered down as well. Joel Grimes has mastered this...it's his setup for about 80% or more of his work - then the composite.

I accidentally lied about the backdrop - it's grey seamless - not black. Even better. :)

The editing was extremely light - may seem like a lot but it wasn't. Used our normal contrasty b/w conversion in LR plus a re-crop. Amped the exposure some along with the blacks. In PS I quickly fixed a couple skin areas, a very light skin smoothing layer, sharpening and very light dodge/burn. I didn't need much d/b as we painted him well with light SOOC.

That's it.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this!!! I guess I should make my people step a couple steps away from the backdrop ... well ... I guess I should get a wider set-up to start off with, mine is rather tight.

Thanks again for posting these photos! Very helpful! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks for posting this!!! I guess I should make my people step a couple steps away from the backdrop ... well ... I guess I should get a wider set-up to start off with, mine is rather tight.

Thanks again for posting these photos! Very helpful! iloveyou.gif

It's always a good idea to keep your subjects a good distance off your backdrop much of the time. This allows you to keep light off your backdrop (or light it separately for more control) and for it to go out-of-focus.

Tip: You can make your backdrop seem wider than it is by using a compression lens (aka, longer lens). A longer focal length will compress the scene.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    Tip: You can make your backdrop seem wider than it is by using a compression lens (aka, longer lens). A longer focal length will compress the scene.

Hmmmm ... good point! THANKS!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I like your creative use of light.
    I don't like the first shot, I like the second shot a lot.....fwiw.