Options

Great Gray Owls

iceman17iceman17 Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited September 16, 2005 in Wildlife
Last year was a good year for photographing Owls.I shot many rare Northern Hawk Owls that can be seen in my last post.It was also a good year for the mighty Great Gray Owl.This bird also does not migrate very far south so I thought I would also share with you some of these shots.
I was learninga new camera at the time and the W.B was all wrong.I also noticed that for the most part my shutter speed was much lower than my focal length,bad yes since I was handholding the camera.Oh well these turned out better than I had hoped.Hope you all enjoy them..Mike.

36105094-M.jpg

36105098-M.jpg

36105103-M.jpg

36105107-M.jpg

36105110-M.jpg
I took a picture once
but they made me give it back.

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 15, 2005
    Good work Ice thumb.gifthumb.gif

What a beautiful bird iloveyou.gif I liked all of these, but the last one is probably my favorite clap.gif Really nice contrast and detail. You did well to isolate him/her from all those darn bare branches eek7.gif

Can't wait to see what you catch this year :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    More Owls mwink.gif

Now I'm jealous

well done thumb.gif
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    Nice Shots! I also like the last one best. thumb.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    Excellent shots. I always like the bird deep in the branches shots. They bring the nature aspect in nicely. They are hard to do in getting the bird sharp and exposed correctly. Very nicely done.thumb.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2005
    Excellent shots. If you were using your 70-200VR lens the VR paid off on these shots.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    Whoo Whoo WhooRayyyy thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Nice .

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Love the owl, especially w the shallow dof. What did you say you did wrong again?

I am going to have to learn to do it wrong,rolleyes1.gif , starting with how to find the owl. And, here in the coastal southeast, how to find bare branches. Very cool.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve,the Owl let me walk around a bit without getting spooked so it was easy to frame it...ice
    Good work Ice thumb.gifthumb.gif

What a beautiful bird iloveyou.gif I liked all of these, but the last one is probably my favorite clap.gif Really nice contrast and detail. You did well to isolate him/her from all those darn bare branches eek7.gif

Can't wait to see what you catch this year :D

Steve
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Hi Ben,it was indeed a good year for owls.I even managed to capture a few snowy owl shots but they didn't turn out so good...Ice:cry
    bfjr wrote:
    More Owls mwink.gif

Now I'm jealous

well done thumb.gif
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Thanks Steve,for wild birds they sure didn't seem to mind me being there...ice
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Nice Shots! I also like the last one best. thumb.gif
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Hi Khaos,these birds allowed me to move around to frame my shots.Some folks that have seen these in other forums have stated that they dont like the branches,the way I see it is this is were the bird lives so its natural.Thanks for your reply:): ...ice
    Khaos wrote:
    Excellent shots. I always like the bird deep in the branches shots. They bring the nature aspect in nicely. They are hard to do in getting the bird sharp and exposed correctly. Very nicely done.thumb.gif
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Hi Harry,fact is I was using a very slow Sigma 28-300mm lens.Its not all that sharp but I have got many good shots with it over the years.I now have the 50-500mm and hand hold it for the most part as well.I find it difficult using a tripod when shooting birds because you have to be ready when they take flight.Thanks for your reply...ice
    Harryb wrote:
    Excellent shots. If you were using your 70-200VR lens the VR paid off on these shots.
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Thanks Mike,I hope to get a second chance this year using my new Bigma...ice
    Whoo Whoo WhooRayyyy thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Nice .

BMP
    I took a picture once
  • Options
    Hi Ginger,I shot these last feb in -27 deg.The owls seemed warmer than I was :): .Thanks for your kind words..ice
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Love the owl, especially w the shallow dof. What did you say you did wrong again?

I am going to have to learn to do it wrong,rolleyes1.gif , starting with how to find the owl. And, here in the coastal southeast, how to find bare branches. Very cool.

ginger
    I took a picture once