Options

models

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited September 16, 2005 in Technique
I used the search for the forums and couldn't find an appropriate post.
could someone point me out to a good post about shooting models or could give good advice for shooting models?

I've never done it before but just starting to try it out.

thanks in advance
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    What kind of models? people, mini airplanes and cars? and what is the intended use of the photos? catalog, portfolio, practice, or glossy magazine covers?

Do you have any lighting equipment? Details man, details :-)
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I used the search for the forums and couldn't find an appropriate post.
    could someone point me out to a good post about shooting models or could give good advice for shooting models?

I've never done it before but just starting to try it out.

thanks in advance
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2005
    oh sorry.

I want to shoot female models for portfolio practice.

It'd be outdoors shooting mostly around the evening around sunset when lighting is best.
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    You might look at onemodelplace.com, it has some information about different types of model shooting.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    chrisjlee wrote:
    oh sorry.

I want to shoot female models for portfolio practice.

It'd be outdoors shooting mostly around the evening around sunset when lighting is best.
    From personal experience, while I believe it is good to read up about things, nothing quite beats doing it. Jumping in head first and doing it, lots of it.

Ask people you know and don't know if they want to model for you (Yuri is my example). Share with them that you are also new to this, but that results will be good and getting better. I often do a TFP (Time For Prints) or TFCD (Time For CD) arrangement, this way no money exchanges hands, and both parties get ahead.

Read, and take a look at what others do, but in the end, I learned more from my first three shoots than I could have from reading about it for a lifetime.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    Chris you are in the perfect location for this.

Tons and tons of "models" up at MSU. What are you up to this weekend? I don't have any plans as of yet and if ya could line up some models I'd be happy to come up and do some shooting with you and show you what I know at least.

Oh Yes one great tip that I was given when I did my first shoot with a model (from the studio owner).

"Have personality, smile, laugh, talk, make them smile, laugh, and feel comfortable." If ya don't keep em engaged they get bored. Then you get boring photos.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    <SNIP>
    Oh Yes one great tip that I was given when I did my first shoot with a model (from the studio owner).

"Have personality, smile, laugh, talk, make them smile, laugh, and feel comfortable." If ya don't keep em engaged they get bored. Then you get boring photos.
    Speaking of tips, here is one that really worked for me.

Shoot about 30 pics, and review them with the model on-site on a computer (laptop). Do an honest review and feedback, example 'see how that pose makes you look good/funny/bad' or 'oops see how I have this or that wrong with the camera setting (WB, focus, aperture, light)' or ' hmm those (straps, indent, earrings, piercing) don't look as good in a picture as they do in real life' or 'see what your body language is saying in this picture'. Do this about 3 times, so 30 pictures, review, 30 pictures, review, etc. After the second or third time, most of the time I see the model loosening up quite a bit, and I see the feedback from the review starting to show up in the pictures.

Be gentle and polite in your feedback, but be brutally honest. Keep in mind, that if it doesn't look good there and then, no matter how much Photoshop or fancy B/W conversion you throw at it, it will still not be what it could be. Don't wait until after the shoot and 200 pictures to review and find out your WB was off. Don't be too proud to chimp or check the histogram, also the review times are a good time for outfit changes, or light setup changes.

Here are some good links that might help as well:

http://www.canvas42.com/proshoot/proshoota.html
    http://www.wolfkettler.co.uk/models/modelsguide1.html

FWIW,

XO,
    and believe me shooting models is a lot of fun.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2005
    shooting at state...
    Chris you are in the perfect location for this.

Tons and tons of "models" up at MSU. What are you up to this weekend? I don't have any plans as of yet and if ya could line up some models I'd be happy to come up and do some shooting with you and show you what I know at least.

I've got nothing going this weekend. I should check this forum more often. Usually to busy doing things.

Give me a call gary. I have a model lined up today (friday) but i hate this weather.
    ---
    Chris
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D