Options

Free, decent HDR action?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 20, 2011 in Finishing School
I'm just messing about with a shot and wondered if anybody had a recco for a decent freebie HDR action that will run in CS3? I've checked out a couple, but they weren't very good.

No biggie, just reckoned I'd ask in case anybody had one they liked before Ispend hours trying out ones that are rubbish!

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    they say Picturenaut is good [ not tried myself ]

its standalone , but it cant hurt to try , and its free

http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/index.html

• Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Ah, I should clarify: I'm not looking for one to combine exposures, but to HDRize an ordinary old photo - artistic effect rather than the real deal!

That link looks good for combining shots, though - thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Ah, I should clarify: I'm not looking for one to combine exposures, but to HDRize an ordinary old photo - artistic effect rather than the real deal!

That link looks good for combining shots, though - thanks! thumb.gif

try this then , costs nothing

http://www.nill.cz/index.php?set=tu1
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Send the image to me.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Tx basflt!

Sam, appreciate the offer but I actually want to tinker with it - I don't have a real "vision" in mind for it yet, so am just footling around for fun. If I come up with something semi-presentable I'll share! thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Tx basflt!

Sam, appreciate the offer but I actually want to tinker with it - I don't have a real "vision" in mind for it yet, so am just footling around for fun. If I come up with something semi-presentable I'll share! thumb.gif

See if you can find a free trial version. I use Nik's HDR Pro, which gets very good reviews, but don't know if they offer a free trial.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 19, 2011
    Diva, spend $50 bucks for Topaz Adjust.

It will do what you are wanting with fine control, and a whole whole lot more. Use it on a layer and blend it back into your image with a mask and it can do lovely things for your portraits.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    Good call, PF. Not sure I can buy it just now (or, to be honest, that i'd use it often enough to justify the expense) but the free trial is terrific and if I ever do want a program for these effects I'd put it first in line! It's excellent thumb.gif
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    +1 for Topaz Adjust. Nifty product, lots of value.

But did you know you can do HDR-y effects in LR/ACR?

Try this: open a raw image, set your exposure, then set Recovery and Fill Light to approximately equal and high values. (I like 60-75% for both.) Slide the blacks to the 25-40% range, pop clarity up HIGH (60-100%). Play with contrast and vibrance.

It's definitely not as flexible as Topaz Adjust, but for quick and dirty single HDR-like effects, it works just fine.