Options

my first ever engagement shoot.. (lots of pictures)

FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
edited July 21, 2011 in Weddings
As some of you recall, I had a thread going about my upcoming shoot.. Many kindly provided their suggestions, and boy am I grateful.

Also, I am sorry that I didn't listen to the suggestion of rescheduling the 10am shoot to a later time. the light was super harsh, there were nearly no clouds with little to no shade. Mosquitoes were a pure nightmare, too..
you be the judge.

1)
1-XL.jpg

2)
7-XL.jpg

3)
12-XL.jpg

4)
18-XL.jpg

5)
32-XL.jpg

6) his bike belongs to HER dad, and HER bike belongs to HIS mom.. Both are Schwinn old bikes, the only old bikes that stayed in the family.
38-L.jpg

7) here, I realized how badly i want a macro lens.. shot this with my 50mm, reversed. The ring is a really cool thing, actually. It is built of two rings. the main set is of her Grandmother's, and center diamond was pulled off from his Grandmother's ring due to damage.
42-XL.jpg

8)
54-XL.jpg

9)
64-XL.jpg

10)
73-XL.jpg

11) this spot was infested with the blood sucking bastards.. there was literally a could of them.
81-XL.jpg

12)
96-XL.jpg

13)
102-XL.jpg

14)
108-XL.jpg

15)
122-XL.jpg

16)
116-XL.jpg

any feedback is welcome. Sorry about many pictures.

total, I have 120 some pictures.. i'll be happy to link to the whole set if you like.
Arseny - the too honest guy.
My Site
My Facebook

Comments

• Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I think you did a fine job considering the harsh light. I like the ring shots and #13. Were you able to escape the lawyers in #11? :D
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2011
    TGAllen wrote: »
    I think you did a fine job considering the harsh light. I like the ring shots and #13. Were you able to escape the lawyers in #11? :D
    haha, thank you!

I used my 85mm, so I sat outside of their range rolleyes1.gif

the poor guy was covered in them, when they got back to the main road, though.

thank you.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I think the ones from #5 on are terrific! Great job with poses, capturing their fun, the ring, interesting angles etc etc. I especially like #5 and #10.

I think, given the light, that #1 probably isn't a keeper (unless there's some "behind the scenes" story that means they'll find it particularly meaningful). The kissing shots don't work for me in general, though - the advice I was given was that you should go for the moment right BEFORE they kiss so that you don't get "smooshed". You got that moment on #3, but I find that one a bit stiff and posed, especially compared to the really *good* shots later in the set you've posted.

I'm no expert, but I'd say you did really well for your first eshoot - looks like you had fun despite the mozzies! (Big fan of Caladryl gel in this house - we call it "the smell of summer" since I am "that person" who always gets DEVOURED by insects, no matter what bug spray I use or how few bites anybody else gets!)
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2011
    thank you very much Divamum. That means a whole lot coming from you. :)

I agree with the #1. i'm not a fan either, and I am going to toss it.

And you are absolutely right, we all felt a bit awkward int he beginning, not knowing what to do, or think.. Then, when we started cracking jokes, we could relax and just shoot.

(googling Caladryl.. i'm "that" special person in my house)
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2011
    I'd toss 1, 2, and 3. The rest look nice, but are a bit heavy on the "hi, Mom" type of images (looking at the camera and smiling at you), rather than capturing their connection. But overall, good job!

Next time, remember: You control the time for the session, not them. No way would I ever do an e-session at 10 am. It's not in your client's best interest, no matter what they ask for. You know better, but they don't.
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    I agree, for a first time out you've done well. I would lose some of the first ones and throughout the shoot keep an eye on hands, try to shoot the sides rather than the backs as it will be far less distracting. Also as already mentioned, get them to connect with each other rather than the camera. There is a time to look at the camera but not all that much. I will usually shoot in a series which goes pretty much, looking at me, at each other, one looking away other at partner, then switch, then both looking away. Will mix things up like bride looking down as well as out etc to bring variety.

Anyway, those are just thoughts for next time and are not to distract from the good job you did here!

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2011
    thank you smurfy!
    I am going to follow the tossing suggestion.

And the "you know better" part.. i'm still learning that one.. :\

Mark, I was hoping for the feedback like that, so thank you very much! I have to say, if not for the dgrin, I wouldn't have learned gotten as deep into photography as I did; so it is thanks to people like yourself, DivaMom, Smurfy, allen and others who taught and continue on teaching me.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2011
    I always get too many kissing shots in the engagement. I think tradition says NO kissing on engagement photos lol! Nice pics!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2011
    ha! thanks Mark.

Well, couple loved pictures, and want me to shoot their wedding.
    Needles, to say, i'm freaked out... Any good books on the matter?
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    ha! thanks Mark.

Well, couple loved pictures, and want me to shoot their wedding.
    Needles, to say, i'm freaked out... Any good books on the matter?

No books can teach you IMO. I think practice is everything, getting to learn in the field is better than any book. Just keep shooting and details details details (thats my suggestion):)
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2011
    well, that's obvious. I was just hoping that there is a compilation of do's and don't's out there.

Back to research, I go.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Great set. Good luck with the wedding!
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2011
    Look at the resources sticky. The question is asked countless times, so there's a whole thread of info, books, web site referrals, etc.
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    I think you did a great job for you first time! clap.gif

Keep up the good work!
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    I like the composition on 12 the most. Nice work.

Could you explain reversing the lens for the wedding ring shot? i don't know what that means.

Thanks
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    thank you very much
    My Site
    My Facebook