Options

Wedding rehearsal (please look and comment)

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited September 16, 2005 in Weddings
Yesterday was the wedding rehearsal for my two best friends wedding. I am proud to be the Best Man and hope that shows in my pictures. The wedding is on Saturday the 17th and I'm nervous already. There will be a professional photog taking the ceremony and formal pics, but I will be taking the reception pics. I have never done anything like this before and am a mix of excitement and nerves. I will be using a 20D, 580EX with Gary Fong's LSII (which I just got in the mail today) and for the majority of the time will have a 50mm f/1.4 on. These are some pics I took at the rehearsal yesterday. Please take a look and point out anything you think I should work on. I really appreciate any suggestion you may have. These were taken with the 50mm and natural light. They were taken at the site of the wedding and at teh same time the wedding will be at, although the pics I take will most likely be indoors or later outside in much less light.

Click for Exif

36186348-L.jpg
The Blushing Bride Josie

36186408-L.jpg
The Groom John hugging Josies parents

36186464-L.jpg
John with his Mom

36186547-L.jpg
By the power invested in me......

36186516-L.jpg
You may kiss the Bride (I know her face is OOF, but I thought it was a cute shot)

36186592-L.jpg
Josie showing the ring bearers tux to Johns Aunt (left) and Grandma (right), it's soo little.

These are the 6 best out of 24 shots, 25% isn't so bad, it's better than I usually do. Please give me any last minute advice you may have, there are a lot of great photogs in this forum and I have already learned soo much from all of you. I almost feel like all the threads I have read and pictures I have taken so far were just practice for this single event.

Wish me Luck icon10.gif
Nick
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 16, 2005
    Faces. Try not to make the back of someone's head the focus.

If you have the light, you might try shooting candids with a 70-200
    or something shorter.

Best of luck to you!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ian408 wrote:
    Faces. Try not to make the back of someone's head the focus.

If you have the light, you might try shooting candids with a 70-200
    or something shorter.

Best of luck to you!

Ian
    But his head is so big it kept getting in the way :giggle . Yeah, I noticed that too, I'll have to remember to autofocus and then manual to get faces instead of the foreground/back of head. I have a 70-200 f/2.8 IS that I was wondering if I should try using or not. I'm just not sure if I'll have enough light because I'll probably be taking most shots indoors in a room with high ceilings (no flash bounce) and dim lighting. I guess I'll just have to throw it on and give it a try.

Thanks for the advice Ian
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    some great hugs
    and some awesome facial expressions
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    gluwater wrote:
    But his head is so big it kept getting in the way

Well, then don't see the back of either one, if possible move to a spot where both faces can be seen in profile, this also lets you see whatever is going on between them (rings, kisses, and such). I don't do weddings for income but when I do it for "fun," moving around and in and out is the best way to get the most out of a lens as long as you are not glued to a specific chair.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    best of luck to you :D
    these look nice - need some attn in post, i think the skin tones are a bit too red imo.

have a great time, relax, and try to remember: best man first, photographer second lol3.gif
  • Options
    colourbox wrote:
    Well, then don't see the back of either one, if possible move to a spot where both faces can be seen in profile, this also lets you see whatever is going on between them (rings, kisses, and such). I don't do weddings for income but when I do it for "fun," moving around and in and out is the best way to get the most out of a lens as long as you are not glued to a specific chair.
    Thanks colourbox. In this case I was "glued" to one spot. These were taken during the rehearsal and being best man I was standing next to John. Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    andy wrote:
    best of luck to you :D
    these look nice - need some attn in post, i think the skin tones are a bit too red imo.

have a great time, relax, and try to remember: best man first, photographer second lol3.gif
    I agree about the red. I've been busy and just processed these real quick so I could put them up here. Photographer second? If I have to lol.giflol8.gif.

Thanks for looking and for the comment. I got the TC BTW, thanks a lot icon10.gif I'm dying to try it out.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    gluwater wrote:
    I agree about the red. I've been busy and just processed these real quick so I could put them up here. Photographer second? If I have to lol.giflol8.gif.

Thanks for looking and for the comment. I got the TC BTW, thanks a lot icon10.gif I'm dying to try it out.

Agree with Andy on color also need to set white and black pt in levels and some S cuve to improve contrast, mid tones need some brightening. Has to be tough from where you were standing. Break out that 70-200-'is' gives effective 2 or more stops equivalence-and push that 20d-don't be afraid to boost iso to 800 or 1250 .....do this and you will get some awesome shots---you will fill the frame, have sharp images with lovley 'bokah' and little noise.and don't forget fillflash with a diffuser of some type.........have fun and take lots more shots than you think you'll need(big flash card or some other portable storage)...........Mereimage