Options

Challenge #81 - Possibilities... C&C Please :)

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited July 24, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
#1 - Meeting At The Mound
i-wd6MJ3b-L.jpg

#2 - On It's Way To The Outfield
i-Nn7hMnR-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Well, he's definitely about to connect on that second one. However, my eye seemed to look around the photo a bit before being drawn to the ball. Could be the crowd is separated by the stairs and yet connected by team loyalty. Also get the feeling of connectedness in the first one. Nice photos, but I can't pick one over the other. Hmmm ... I'm not much help, hopefully someone else chimes in.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    Looks good for a fan shot. Pro shot will be tight in face, swing and followthrough. Good streaking with ball
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    They are fan shots.... I can only dream of getting the vantage point of the pros. :) Even with seats on the field... so many heads and people to shoot around.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    They look a little too zoomed or a tad grainy. I like the action shot best.
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »
    They look a little too zoomed or a tad grainy. I like the action shot best.

I agree. The effect almost looks purposeful on the second one. Kinda retro. But we're so used to seeing tack sharp sports action shots like this (from the pros with the $10K lenses on monopods), that's it feels off.

The second one hits the theme for me though. When I first saw it my thought was "oh, he connected."
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Of these, #2 is best, certainly theme worthy. I agree with the comments already mentioned. Great timing on the batting shot!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    #2 fits best and I like the photo.

But, I wandered all over the frame before I decided on what was being connected. The grainy retro feel saves the image from the distance from which it was shot.

To be honest, my first thought was how disconnected the fans are from each other because of the stairs.

Your timing was great!

I wonder what it would look like if you cropped even further to isolate the batter, since the grainy feel is now part of your composition.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thanks for the great advise! I'll see if I can't make #2 better. It was a challenge to even get the shots off between the people, the distance and the harsh daylight (12:30pm game). Hopefully I can get it challenge worthy since I really do love the idea of the batter making contact with the ball.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    This better worse? Went back to original and tried to cut out noise and sharpen ... also a closer crop.

i-ZbKdT4d-L.jpg
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    cromwellcromwell Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2011
    Like the others, I really like the second one for the theme. I think I would go in between the two versions you have for the crop.
    My Smugmug
    Scott Cromwell
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    I like this one and see it's your current entry. Looks good.