Options

Blotchy spots?

HomerHomer Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited July 27, 2011 in Finishing School
5970357635_99ec81d26f_b.jpg

There is a spot I recently noticed showing up in all of my photos, I realized it was due to my dirty lens...but the damage has already been done. I've been trying to get rid of it for a while now to no luck.

In this photo it is located on the upper-left hand corner and a small bit in between the two clouds on the right side. I use Photoshop CS5, I'm not too much of an expert in getting rid of defects. Is there any possible methods I could try to help improve or possibly get rid of the blemishes?

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    You should be able to fix this fairly easily with the Healing Brush, maybe even a very large Spot Healing Brush.

Do your corrections on a new, blank layer with the brush set to sample all layers.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 25, 2011
    Are you sure those blotches are due to something on the surface of your lens?

The Healing Brush, or the Clone tool should fix these pretty easily.

Are you sure your sensor ( or the ani aliasing filter over your sensor really ) is clean, and without blemish?

If you see the exact same blemish in each image, I doubt this is something on the surface of your lens....If it is on your lens, clean it off. If it is on your sensor, read carefully about sensor cleaning before you attempt to correct it. Please!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Looks like a classic case of dust on the sensor, but the test would
    be to shoot the same view with a different lens. If the spot's still
    there, get out the Giotto Rocket Blower and read the manual on
    how to clean the sensor.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    NyteNyte Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    There's a small speck that looks like sensor dust to the left of the tall building, but the two blotches being referred to don't. Or if they are, they're one heck of a large bit of dust and transparent too.

I would select the area and go for either the patch tool or content aware fill to remove them in processing.

Edit: Looks like there might be another one in the cloud top right by the way.
  • Options
    HomerHomer Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2011
    Thanks a lot guys :)
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 27, 2011
    I do not think they are dust, but the remnants of a drop of liquid that got to the sensor. I'm thinking saliva.

Anyone talk while changing lenses?

If I am correct, then a rocket blower won't work, nor will the ultrasonic shaking of the camera's sensor cleaning work.

Hopefully, it is just lens flare, but if it is on the sensor, and seen in each and every frame in thevsame spot, then the sensor will need liquid cleaning. Again, DO NOT do this until you are thoroughly knowledgeable about the CopperHill technique or take it to a professional shop for cleaning. Poorly done wet cleaning can ruin your camera, so listen up...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin