Options

FS: Canon 20D IR Converted by Maxmax

botanistbotanist Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited October 7, 2011 in House of Canon
SOLD

Camera Model: Canon 20D Infrared Converted by Maxmax

Approximate age of Body: 20D came out in 2004...so 7yrs?

Body Condition: 9.9/10

Number of Shutter actuations: Haven't figured out how to get this info on a Mac, can post a pic if someone else knows how to do it.

Sale Includes: Box, manuals, body cap, strap, 2x canon OE batteries + Canon BG-E2 vertical grip (these can be separated to lower the price)

Price: $650 shipped/paypal'd (OBO)

Payments Accepted: Paypal, local cash

Possible Trades: Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro

Shipping Methods Available (Ships From): UPS, FedEx (only insurable, trackable shippers)

Shipping Available To: CONUS

Item location: Lansing, MI

Best Contact Method: PM/Email (exifocus [@] gmail)

Reason for selling: I never use it...

Photos:
Originals available here (5DM2): http://www.exifocus.com/Electronics/Equipment/
IMG3503-XL.jpg

IMG3504-XL.jpg

IMG3505-XL.jpg

IMG3506-XL.jpg

IMG3507-XL.jpg

If you'd like any other pics let me know. There isn't a mark on the body or BG-E2 grip

Some shots I took with her:
1131828158_Dpak3-XL.jpg

1131829432_KAwsT-XL.jpg

1061736409_ciMN7-XL.jpg

I've honestly been putting off selling this camera for 9mos or so. I take it out from time to time and shoot with it, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I am the first to admit that I haven't dedicated the time to really figuring it out, but that's why I think she would be better enjoyed by someone else. It seems selfish to keep her hanging around in the off-chance that I decide to take IR photography seriously.

The IR conversion was performed by Maxmax and is 715nm. I purchased this from user calvin2 on FredMiranda ~1.5-2yrs ago. I have personally shot ~200 photos with this camera. I can't believe the shutter count is out of this world, and since the IR conversion I would estimate it at less than 5,000 shots total. I looked at several shutter count apps for Mac and couldn't seem to figure out how to get the actual shutter count.

I am including a vertical grip and extra (OE) battery that I bought for the camera. I have the original box, strap, manuals etc for the Camera but not the grip. Both the camera and grip are in great shape considering the camera is 7yrs old. I'm not aware of any blemishes, but if there are some I will definitely take pictures of them and be up front about it!
Smug: botanist.smugmug.com
Photog: www.Exifocus.com
Work: www.WorkSafeBoredom.com

"The worst photographer is the one who never takes a picture."

Comments

• Options
    edited June 7, 2011
    I found a great example of 20D IR shots from a Maxmax conversion:

http://www.pbase.com/robetzel/maxmax

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2011
    Would you sell it without the grip and if so .. how much?
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Would you sell it without the grip and if so .. how much?

Yeah that could work. I was hoping to sell them all together just to make my life easier. I'll send you a PM.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2011
    Dropped the price!

• Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Wow the IR fire photo is an awesome shot! I'm an IR shooter, but currently using a Nikon D40 with Hoya RM72 IR filter...you're really lucky to have a converted camera. If I had one, I'd never sell it...
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    I just wish I had the time to dedicate to really perfecting IR photography you know? :)

If you know of anyone looking to buy one you let me know! ;)

• Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    botanist wrote: »
    I just wish I had the time to dedicate to really perfecting IR photography you know? :)

If you know of anyone looking to buy one you let me know! ;)

If noone buys it, you should give it another attempt. It's really easy once you adjust. It's white-balance and post processing that screws alot of people up. Skin is magically freckle free, hair and eyes change and foliage look like snow. I've really wanted a converted IR for awhile, but can't really afford what you're asking without a lens since all of mine are for my Nikon, I'd have to purchase one. :(

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    I'm sure you could find a Nifty 50 for $50-80. :) I'd be willing to knock $50 off to help you afford the lens if you're interested!

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    That's nice of you, I'll have to look around and see if I can find one. It'll most likely have to be online. I'm in KY and unless I go to Louisville, there's not really anywhere that sells gear locally. What about when MaxMax converted it? Most conversion companies rely on a certain lens that you send in or one they use for calibration?

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    There are lots of places to look online for used 50mm f/1.8 lenses. POTN and FredMiranda are great places to start. I just did a quick perusal of POTN and there are a dozen or so for sale ranging from $80-110 (You can get it brand new for $110-120 so if you're paying >$100 you're better off getting it new).

According to Calvin (the person I got this camera from on FM) this was calibrated with the Canon 50mm. However I can't remember if it was the 50mm F/1.8 or the F/1.4 :\ I typically shot this with my Canon 24-105mm and only in rare instances did I get ghosting. I also focused that lens manually because autofocus tends to rely on visible light to focus properly (though you probably already knew that). :)

Take a look around for the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and think on it. So far I've only had low ballers interested so this probably isn't going anywhere in the next few days/week.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Great research! I'll definitely check the places you mentioned along with my usual sources. I agree, new is better if I'm paying that much used.

I'm glad you were able to remember. I've heard you can still use other lenses, but manually and that it's best to stick with what they were calibrated for. I'd be wanting to use a wide-angle like I do now because my IR is primarily landscapes and architecture with lots of foliage and occasionally portraits. Yes, I do know about the focusing issues...it's a fun challenge with IR. Alot of the ghosting and hot spots is primarily related to the lens. Did you ever attempt blue sky/white tree IR or mostly B&W as shown above (not counting fire)?

Ok, will do! Sorry you've not had more interest...people just don't realize the beautiful potential of IR!

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    I haven't attempted blue sky/white trees personally, but Calvin had some great results with those types of shots. I would link to his photos (or his original post) but unfortunately Fred Miranda doesn't keep posts around for that long. He did send me this link. Most of these photos are from this 20D conversion:

http://www.maxmax.com/rob_etzel.htm

If the calibration is a big deal then you'd probably want to ask MaxMax how much it costs to have it re-calibrated to a wide angle lens. I know that you could get the Canon 10-22mm for ~$600-650 used if you keep your eyes open. It's a very good AF-S lens (I believe that's comparable to Nikon's DX? It's been awhile since I sold my D200 and I can't remember :) ). I could also go and PM Calvin and ask him if he remembers exactly which lens he had the camera calibrated with. Just let me know.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Alright I talked to Calvin and he thinks it's actually calibrated for the Canon 10-22. I'm not sure if that's good news or bad news, but it's news! :)

• Options
    edited September 27, 2011
    Thank you for replying! I'm still considering options and will get back with you ASAP. In the meantime, don't feel bad about taking offers and selling it. I know I want it, but it's only fair.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2011
    No worries, she's still here. ;) With the economy being what it is I hadn't expected her to sell immediately. I'm just unwilling to accept $200 for her. At that point I'd rather just keep her in my bag and use her 2-3 times a year.

• Options
    JFosheeJFoshee Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2011
    interested in your Canon 20D IR
    Was wondering if you still have your 20D IR converted camera for sale? It being 7 years old do you know approx. how many shots have been taken on it? Would love to buy it off you if it still has plenty of life left in its shutter.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    I do still have it available :) As for the shutter count I don't know off hand. I'll have to grab the latest picture I've taken with it and find some software to figure that out. Apparently there's a site now that can tell you if you upload a Raw file to it. I'll give that a shot tonight after work and get back to you.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2011
    Well after WAY too much research into this I think I've uncovered why I can't retrieve the shutter count (on Mac or PC). According to everything I've read the 20D doesn't store the shutter count like more recent dlsrs. The only "solution" I've found was via this link: http://zecoj.com/2007/01/31/canon-eos-20d-shutter-count/ And it involves using a HEX editor to edit one of the raw files taken w/ the camera. If you're tech-savvy then PM me your email address and I'll send you the most recent photo I have taken (which is a RAW file) and you can decode the shutter count. Otherwise I'd estimate the shutter count at <5k based on what I know about the camera (I have personally taken ~200-300 photos with this camera in the 2+yrs I have owned it).

• Options
    JFosheeJFoshee Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2011
    Despite not knowing the shutter count exactly, I think I'm still interested in purchasing the camera/grip, etc. from you. I won't worry about the hex editor RAW solution. I can fix the shutter later if at some point it wears out. You said we can do it through Paypal, right?
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2011
    I sent you a PM yesterday James, hopefully you got it?