Options

I have a problems in Nikon D7000??please help me ??????

sharif.alsharif.al Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 31, 2011 in Cameras
hi
I am using in the mean time the Nikon D7000 DSLR
and I used this camera under tungeston light and when i took the
picture i found that they an orange to yellow or orange to red color.
could you tell me the problem that stands behind that. and how could i get rid of it. coould you tell me how to make white balance in easy steps and if there is a video then it would be better.

please give me the exact maybe settings to solve that problem ?

help me please

Comments

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    If you shoot RAW, then use any white balance setting you like and it will be easy to correct in PP. If you shoot JPG, then you have to be more careful. You can set the cameras's white balance to Tungsten mode, or perhaps an 18% grey card would be useful to you. Or, even better, an 18% grey t-shirt :D

(With the grey card or t-shirt, you'd set the WB manually off the 18% grey. I'm not sure how that works with the D7000. If you take one exposure of the 18% grey, you can synchronize all of your shots to that WB setting in PP).
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    If you shoot RAW, then use any white balance setting you like and it will be easy to correct in PP. If you shoot JPG, then you have to be more careful. You can set the cameras's white balance to Tungsten mode, or perhaps an 18% grey card would be useful to you. Or, even better, an 18% grey t-shirt :D

(With the grey card or t-shirt, you'd set the WB manually off the 18% grey. I'm not sure how that works with the D7000. If you take one exposure of the 18% grey, you can synchronize all of your shots to that WB setting in PP).

18% grey is to check metering, not white balance. However, the product that you posted has a "white" card on the other side, that is to adjust white balance.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,894 moderator
    edited July 27, 2011
    sharif.al wrote: »
    hi
    I am using in the mean time the Nikon D7000 DSLR
    and I used this camera under tungeston light and when i took the
    picture i found that they an orange to yellow or orange to red color.
    could you tell me the problem that stands behind that. and how could i get rid of it. coould you tell me how to make white balance in easy steps and if there is a video then it would be better.

please give me the exact maybe settings to solve that problem ?

help me please

If you can provide an image example of the problem with full EXIF attached we might be able to check your settings and tell you what to try for correction.

Otherwise, the advice from ThatCanonGuy and insanefred should help you for future images too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Hi
    This is the photo.
    Could you tell me the camera setting to overcome these mistakes ???
    Does custom white balance help or not ? if yes how to make it manually ?

What are the necessary step that i need to correct colors in such photo in Photoshop for example ?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    sharif,

I would suggest that you read your camera manual..the white balance section. It is very simple to change your white balance on the camera.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    18% grey is to check metering, not white balance. However, the product that you posted has a "white" card on the other side, that is to adjust white balance.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't really thought about it much, since I always shoot raw, but now it makes sense.
    Hi
    This is the photo.

What are the necessary step that i need to correct colors in such photo in Photoshop for example ?

This photo looks overexposed, and the focus may be a little off (or it could be the poor upload quality). The overexposure is probably due to the flash being too strong. While I wasn't there, the white balance looks pretty normal to me compared to what my eyes would see (but of course I wasn't there, so not totally sure).

If you have a RAW file, then you can do it all in Photoshop's built-in Camera Raw feature. If it's a JPG, it's going to be harder to recover. With your permission, I can download the file and see what I can do to improve it...
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    you can use grey card for WB. There is raging debate over what is "best" but either will work. Just think the grey is just unexposed "white". As long as the RGB histograms look like white..ie balanced then a grey card will get you very close to "correct" WB.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    Hi
    This is the photo.

Unfortunately that image does not contain EXIF information, so I can't tell anything about camera setup from it.

It does look like you had mixed lighting, meaning that one side of the subjects' face is illuminated from one kind of lighting and the other side of their faces are illuminated from a different kind of lighting. While the suggestions to set proper white balance are certainly important, in mixed lighting it may not be enough.

Shooting in RAW mode and processing from RAW files allows you to be more selective about white balance. It would allow you to set a white balance to correct for "most" of the problem. You may still need additional image processing, using a computer and software, and some advanced techniques including layers and masking with selective correction.

For the Camera's WB settings refer to page 117 of the user manual or of this pdf:

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

For more information about how to handle mixed lighting in post-processing, ask your question in our Technique forum:

http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2011
    How to shoot in such placed ????help me
    Hi
    I was shooting at a wedding hall where lightings are almost red or oranges ,......etc.
    How could I shoot in such places ???
    Should I used full auto option in my Nikon D7000?
    Or Should I use manual settings for that purpose ?
    And How could I shoot moving object like in sport ????

Yesterday i shoot these photos and they were bad ? and i do not know where is the problem
    to overcome it ??
    help me?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2011
    Please read my post just above and try those things.

Additionally, it looks like you are using the "Auto", "Green" mode of operation. You need to get away from that mode and use Aperture priority or Shutter priority modes to start. Bring the ISO up to ISO 800 or ISO 1600 for indoors. Make sure you are using "Auto WB".

That should improve your results somewhat.

Next, consider purchasing an external flash and flash modifier (or make your own flash modifier.)

Try to get some tutoring from someone local, like someone at a local advanced school or university. Local newspapers sometimes also have knowledgeable photographers (but surprisingly, not always.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2011
    sharif, you are basically asking "how do I become a better photgrapher". start by reading your camera manual. you have a great camera and it deserves to used correctly and that starts by reading and understanding your manual. go do that 1st. it doesn't help anyone if we spoon feed you direction out of context and understanding.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2011
    How about a photography book?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2011
    How about a photography classeek7.gif a simple beginners class will start you off --there is no great shot setting on a Nikon ----maybe on a canon headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Honestly, looking at at the three images posted, I gotta man-up and admit that I take pics like that all the time. But they're always *my* fault, and it's just a matter of figuring out the right camera settings. Managing your shutter speed, aperture, ISO and flash power is NOT easy to do all at once, and it takes years of practice to start nailing these settings on the first try.

Sorry that doesn't answer your specific questions about how to shoot in those environments, but to be honest the subject is so vast that it is just not something you can learn in a few forum replies. It'll take a lifetime of experimentation and practice. But that's the fun part of this craft, no?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum