I

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    ne_nau.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    ne_nau.gif

Sorry Harry and others that have visited this thread. Here is the missing content.

I am sorry it has taken so long to post this but, as explained before, I have had little time for photography or computer work.

The chicks fledged mid June. Unfortunately I missed the occasion but many residents, who have a great interest in these birds, did witness it.
    The number of fledglings has been variously reported between 3 and 4. Personally, I have only seen two. Another fledgling may have met an untimely death. Some residents say it took off from the nest site, flew a short distance then tried to return. Unfortunately, it crash landed into shrubs on the cliff face and called out for some time but was never seen again. I have passed on to the residents the contact details of the police wildlife officer and the City Council Ranger. This may avoid another incident, such as this, ending in tragedy.
    The two remaining fledglings took up position on the pylon where they waited for the adults to return with food. When the adults returned to the quarry, they would call out for the fledglings to leave the pylon and join them.

End June

P6275803DxO-L.jpg

P6275804DxO-L.jpg

P6275791DxO-L.jpg

P6275792DxO-L.jpg

At this time, the fledglings were being fed on ledges on the cliff face. They still had to become expert fliers and hunters. After feeding, they practised their skills on each-other.

P6275839-L.jpg

P6275877-Editfiltered-L.jpg

P6275874-L.jpg

1st Week in July

The juveniles are still using the pylon and getting very proficient in their flying skills. I was standing quite close to the base of the pylon and witnessed one juvenile try to capture a pigeon in flight. The two birds raced at very high speed towards me then back to the cliff face where the pigeon managed to escape by dropping, like a stone, into thick vegetation. Watching this was nothing short of thrilling. Alas, it was so unexpected and so fast, I did not have time to record it.
    The adults were still bringing prey into the quarry for the juveniles. This time however, the adults dropped the prey above the juveniles for them to catch.

P6305913-L.jpg
    Note that the adult (above) is upside down and peering down to see how the chicks get on.

P6305927DxO-L.jpg

Hope you like these
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I do like them Peter. Peregrine captures aren't easy.

Its a real bummer when this life thingie gets in the way of photography.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I do like them Peter. Peregrine captures aren't easy.

Its a real bummer when this life thingie gets in the way of photography.

Thanks Harry. At least I have managed to capture the important stages in the cycle. If I had not, then I would have been terribly disappointed.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    Awesome capture and story. Clean your sensor (1st image).
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    Awesome capture and story. Clean your sensor (1st image).

Thanks for your reply and commentsthumb.gif

You are right about image #1. It cleared up for all the rest of the images since then - the camera sensor ultra-sonic wave cleaning must have cleared it up.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2011
    very nice story with the photos thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2011
    jwear wrote: »
    very nice story with the photos thumb.gif

Thank you Jeff for your kind reply.

Sorry to all for the problems when I first posted this thread.
  • Options
    korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    nice serie
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2011
    korandoke wrote: »
    nice serie

Thank you for your kind comments.