Options

Shooting Residential Homes - Tips?

John_WalshJohn_Walsh Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 28, 2011 in Technique
I've been shooting residential homes for a local contractor and wondered if you all had any techniques to share.

I'm looking to shoot f22 (ISO 100) for max detail, but my shots a getting a mix of overexposure (where the sun hits) and color saturation (shaded areas of the home). I can edit in PhotoShop, but there has to be a better way. Tough to capture correctly, as I need to shoot all angles of the home and include some sky/landscape.

Any thoughts?

~ John

Canon 50D | 17-40 f4 Cannon L Lens | Tripod

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2011
    1) if you can, pick a cloudy day
    2) obviously shoot raw and full frame if you can
    3) shoot barcketed and blend

There really is no way around over exposed underexposed portions of images unless you have the luxury of controlling the lighting. Best you can really do is shoot with camera that has high dynamic range, proper sun conditions, and multiple exposure if needed. Fix in post as needed.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2011
    Interesting.

Can you explain the Bracketed and Blend technique? I've not heard of that one.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 21, 2011
    F 22 will give you unsharp images, due to diffraction. You will be better off at f8 - f11, though with slightly shallower DOF.

How are the photos going to be used?

Large prints? ( 20 by 30 inches or larger)?

Or in a newspaper article? Or online images less than 3 by 5 inches?

Bracketing is shooting 3-5 frames on a tripod, at different shutter speeds, to alter the exposure captured so that you can get retain in the shadows and highlights.

Blending techniques are done in Photoshop (or in Photomatix if you begin to shoot HDR) High Dynamic Range is a technique to capture the entire gamut of light from deep shadow to sunlit areas.

One needs some facility with Photoshop to make the most effective use of bracketing and blending techniques.

Stuck in Customs is a good site for an introduction to high dynamic range imaging.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2011
    I had no idea about f22 and will take your advice.

The photos are used for a combination of print / web work. No larger than 2000 x 3000 px.

Very excited to try blending! I will read up and give it a go on my next shoot.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    f/8 will put everything into focus and your lens will be at it best performance around there. if you are using a wide angle the dof will be huge so you can even get away with f4 or 5.6
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I do some work for a local realtor. The stuff I shoot for her is for online viewing at about 3 x 5"

For these, the image quality can be quite poor yet still look terrific when sized for web viewing.

I shoot RAW and process in lightroom. Lightroom is great for global adjustments like white balance, which I bet is the "saturation" that you refer to.

I generally shoot with existing light and do not use flash. If you are using the home's incandescents, then try to minimize window light....if using window light try to minimize the incandescents. This will help with the white balance mismatch of those two different color temperatures.

I hand hold a 17-55mm F2.8 IS lens. The stabilization lets me hand hold to about 1/30 of a second shutter speed. I am typically at ISO 800 or 1600, and will use aperatures of F3.5 and smaller. I focus 1/3 of the way into the composition/frame. This maximizes what will be is sharp focus at F3.5.

I also apply some light noise reduction and sharpening in Lightroom.

At the reduced viewing size....er....final output size, the images are plenty sharp enough.

...and dont forget that shooting RAW can REALLY stretch the dynamic range of your camera. It allows lifting ofd shadows and recovering blown highlights (to a degree) in post production.deal.gif

Be sure to vary the shooting angles!

ISO800, F3.2, 17mm, at 1/200. This is in my own home before we bought it, but shows how good F3.2 can look at wider focal lengths. Lots of window light here.

1023036187_Lpmrv-XL.jpg

Another....different home interior....

F3.2, ISO800, 17mm, 1/30...mixed window and incandescent lighting

992318664_Qp9zj-XL.jpg

and last....

F3.2, ISO800, 17mm, 1/30 - incandescent lighting. Note the shades drawn shut on windows.
    992319712_9r99Y-XL.jpg

....and now....of those three I think this is the noisiest. This is the size as they appear on the realtor's website. At this size they are nice and sharp!

992319712_9r99Y-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2011
    I had no idea f3.5 could produce a nice, sharp DOF. These tips are great and are changing my, umm, perspective. Got a shoot on Wed and hope to apply many.

Also psyched to try HDR.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2011
    Ok, now have Photomatix (looks really cool) and shot 3 locations with bracketing.

Trey mentions manually converting RAW files to JPEG before importing. What, if any, pre-processing needs to be done?

And what's the difference between tone-mapping in Photomatix vs. using the RAW adjustments in Photoshop? Do you recommend using a combination of both. If so, what has worked for you?