Options

Alaskan Mountain Summer Fun

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited July 28, 2011 in Journeys
Well I haven't posted here in forever, but life is starting to slow down a little lately and giving us time to get out and have fun, so we hit the mountains recently with Prezwoodz to get some time on the rocks. His photos are in another thread here, so here's mine!

A thick fog was holding over the peaks when we arrived with the plan of doing some climbing in an area none of us had ever been to. Vision was obscured to a little over 100 feet though, and with only a vague idea of which direction to go to look for the rock, and everything soaking wet, we decided to forgo the climbing plan and go over a ridgeline into Archangel Valley. Once there, we took off up the hillside to do some simple mountain wandering and have some fun. Here's a Western columbine, a beautiful flower that grows wild in the area, and is not only edible, but delicious, and even makes your salads a whole lot better looking! :D
Edit-01-L.jpg

We found our way through the fog to a couple different boulder problems, and even though the weather wasn't quite optimal for climbing, we worked through them anyway. Here's Kelsey pulling some moves.
Edit-08-L.jpg

The fog got heavier and lighter over the hours, giving us some beautiful scenery and lighting to test our meager photographic skills. I think I speak for all of us when I say we sometimes don't feel worthy to be the only people shooting in places like this, but at the same time we love being the only ones there! :D
Edit-09-XL.jpg

Having experienced our adventures for the day, we headed back to the road with a bit of a stop for a photo op of Kelsey enjoying a dip in the peaceful waters of Archangel Creek. Keep in mind these waters are a beautiful murky blue due to the fact that they're only about 3/4 mile from their head - in a GLACIER!
Edit-11-L.jpg

And that's it for this trip! Hopefully I'll have more to share as what's left of summer goes on! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I can relate to that version of rock climbing (I hate going up to the 2nd floor!). And I can definitely put myself into the last pic (especially if the water is hot!).:D

Enjoyed these, nice work! Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix