Options

#82 - Night and Day Flowers

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
edited August 5, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I haven't tried combining two or more images in Photoshop before and don't know if my idea is within the rules for dgrin challenges or not, so I am looking for input on multiple levels.

1) Do you think the idea is worthy of this challenge?
2) Is a Night and Day collage where the background is white on one half and black on the other within the rules?
3) Any C & C re the individual photos? Suggestions as to how to set them side by side in a way that is visually pleasing?

The high-key images are shot around midnight using a lightbox, something I started playing with in January (after reading about it in Creative Close-Ups by Harold Davis). I shot the darker images around noon with filtered sunlight. So the one that looks like "day" was shot at night and vice versa. The flowers are illuminated with a light box to highlight the transparency of the petals and leaves. The hydrangeas and coneflowers seemed to be the best subjects for the dual approach.

Please feel free to give me your frank opinion of this idea, the subjects, and the execution up to this point. (If you prefer the shots from Midday in Napa, I'd be interested in hearing that as well.) Thanks!

1) Translucent
i-BnzbdJq-L.jpg

2) Hydrangeas Night and Day
i-wTfm3V9-L.jpg

3) Night and Day (with coneflowers)
i-3LkM88L-L.jpg

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    [Edit: Removed #4 as an option but left the comment.]

My current favorite is 2b with the hydrangeas. This whole idea may be too far out in left field, and I realize that not everyone likes the lightbox effect. If the idea has merit but my photoshop skills aren't up to par for combining images, I'll try to come up with something else.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    I haven't read up on the challenge, I was just jumping on DGrin to look around, but I clicked on this and wanted to say these are really nice shots regardless!

#3 is excellent!
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Might be because I'm having a hard time translating a lightbox to the theme, but I prefer the first one. I can see these printed glossy and framed as miniatures for the wall. Nice.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Gretchen, I like all of them. I think you are going for a night/day...noon/midnight. approach.

Are you able to take the same flowers in the same position one on white, one on black and create mirro images of the flowers with your white and black backgrounds? It would be similar to your 2a with the same flower in mirror image perspective.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Thank you all for your input on these.

Sword and Scales, I'm glad you like them!

Greg, thanks for letting me know which one you prefer and that you feel a disconnect with the theme. Did you feel that #1 had more connection to the theme or just prefer it overall (outside of the challenge)?

Chris, you are right in thinking that I am going for a night and day approach and using the lighting, exposure and background color to convey this in terms of light and dark. Rather than selecting a subject that communicates midnight or noon, I was going for an approach to a traditional subject that would express both. (I figured that it doesn't really matter which shots were done at night and which during the day as long as they evoke Night and Day and were taken within the time frame.) As it happens, backlighting a flower with the lightbox seems to work best when there is minimal light from other sources - so I have been shooting these at opposite times (refrigerating the flowers in the interim to help keep them fresh).

Chris, I'm not sure whether I could get the same composition with the same flower (at two different times of day) to create the effect of mirror images, but I might be able to get closer to that. I've been shooting with a 60mm macro lens but might switch to a zoom so it is easier to pull back for some shots and have a little more room for manipulating the images in post-processing.

I may end up sitting this one out as I am getting ready for my father to visit and reconfiguring my home to be more comfortable (and safe) for someone with advanced Alzheimer's. (He is coming for a family wedding.) We are heading overseas right after his visit, so lots to do but at least I can get around without a boot on my foot and I've just had a relaxing vacation.

Thanks again,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Gretchen, you've done a lot of work on these. Any of them would make a fitting entry for the theme. Remember that my suggestions are just that... suggestons, which you can take or leave. don't let the feedback prevent you from entering.

Good luck with your Dad's visit. Glad you have the boot off!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Gretchen, you've done a lot of work on these. Any of them would make a fitting entry for the theme. Remember that my suggestions are just that... suggestons, which you can take or leave. don't let the feedback prevent you from entering.

Good luck with your Dad's visit. Glad you have the boot off!

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I do appreciate your input and the suggestions. My comment re sitting this one out is more reflective of what lies ahead of me than discouragement. :)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    During my break from cleaning, I explored Photoshop Elements 9 some more and played with mirrored images. If I enter one of these, I'll clean up the cropping and alignment. Could get rid of that extra piece stem and/or pull back on these to get a bit more. I'd welcome your input on titles, concept, execution, etc.

[Edit: Just went back and grabbed a different image of the hydrangeas and redid the Inverse Relationship collage. I like this better than the other crop for these mirrored image collages but don't have time to redo them all.]

5a. Inverse Relationship [new version with different crop of hydrangeas]
    i-rh6fsx9-L.jpg

6. Night and Day (mirrored)
    i-SPZMCv8-L.jpg

[Edit: Removed 5b, 7 & 8 as options.]

Some edits of #1 to soften the "glare" of the lightbox, etc. (If I use one of these, I'll need to come up with something appropriate for a title.)

1b. Dreams of Gardening (some blue fill)
    i-TKLNnKm-L.jpg

1d. Hydrangea in Watercolors A
    i-Gvp3zVt-L.jpg

[Edit: Removed 1c and 1e]

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Greg, thanks for letting me know which one you prefer and that you feel a disconnect with the theme. Did you feel that #1 had more connection to the theme or just prefer it overall (outside of the challenge)?

I like the new number 6. I can definitely see where you're going with the theme. I think it works. I guess it's just that you could take these at any time of the day or night, instead of our hour-specific charge.

But definitely striking images.

Good job.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    I really like #5, both a and b!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    I really love the translucence of 1d, but I also really like the solid black background of 2b. I can only tell you what I like since I have almost no experience with studio shots. I've never been able to get a completely solid black background. But the lighting IMO is spot on!

Best wishes for the wedding.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    These are really nice Gretchen. I like #3 from your originals and #6 from the second set but am seeing a lot of noise on the black.
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    I agree with the others on #6 - clever take on the theme - nicely shot and processed. Love the translucence that you captured in the petals. I've been wanting to try a light box myself...you know how much I like flowers and close-ups! Thanks for your inspiration. GP
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Thank you all for your input on these! I'll keep exploring this idea and check in with Sean on what is within the parameters of the dgrin challenges.

Greg, thanks for taking the time to comment on the new shots and all.

Kate, I'm partial to 5a myself although I love the soft color palette of the hydrangeas. Thanks for giving me your thoughts on these.

Brian, you picked out my personal favorites. I think I used an hdr version of the hydrangea for the 1b-e edits, and I really liked the way it looks with the watercolor edit. I've been using Bill Atkinson's photocard app on the iPad (to send postcards via email) and I can see using some of these shots for photocards.

Dave, are you seeing noise on the black with both images or specifically #3? Both were shot at low ISO but I'll check it out. I oversaturated the pink coneflower in #3 (with a plant mister), inadvertently making dark spots on the petals and used a black top (lint and all) for the background so it could be noise or something a little harder to fix...

Greta, I had an old lightbox from the days of sorting slides and have been using that for these. I tried this with an iris and a lily a few months ago, and the iris worked especially well. Hope you get a chance to try this yourself!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Dave, are you seeing noise on the black with both images or specifically #3? Both were shot at low ISO but I'll check it out. I oversaturated the pink coneflower in #3 (with a plant mister), inadvertently making dark spots on the petals and used a black top (lint and all) for the background so it could be noise or something a little harder to fix...

Both images. Do you use Photoshop to edit your images? Add a levels adjustment layer. Then press and hold the ALT key and left click on the left adjustment slider (black point) and you instantly see all of the areas in the black that aren't quite black. A very slight adjustment to the right eliminates it. You can do the same on the right side to see the areas that aren't quite white. There are other ways to take care of it without adjusting the flower images at all, but this seems to work ok for these. You can give it a try and see whether or not you like the results. Just a thought.

Anyway they are very nice images.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Both images. Do you use Photoshop to edit your images? Add a levels adjustment layer. Then press and hold the ALT key and left click on the left adjustment slider (black point) and you instantly see all of the areas in the black that aren't quite black. A very slight adjustment to the right eliminates it. You can do the same on the right side to see the areas that aren't quite white. There are other ways to take care of it without adjusting the flower images at all, but this seems to work ok for these. You can give it a try and see whether or not you like the results. Just a thought.

Anyway they are very nice images.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try doing that. I had been using Lightroom 3 for photo processing with occasional follow-up with Photoshop Elements - usually levels. Recently upgraded to PSE 9 (from 6) and it is now easier to create adjustment layers (than it was in earlier versions of PSE), so I have started doing more with Photoshop.

Appreciate the help!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    I'll take another look at #6 tomorrow but spent some time working on adding a texture layer to #5 today. Used an image of hydrangea blossoms shot around noon today. Do you think this benefits from a hint of color? Are the images with more background texture too much? I welcome your input even if it is "you might want to leave well enough alone"! Looking over the feedback, I see that most prefer 2, 3 or 6 over 5....

Thanks,
    Gretchen

7a. Hydrangeas Night and Day
    i-dgrpWmf-L.jpg

7b. Night and Day
    i-2FKZJRt-L.jpg

7c. Night and Day
    i-cWqrVQm-L.jpg

7d. Flowers Night and Day
    i-bPGS8Xm-L.jpg
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    It seems like you've moved on, but I just wanted to let you know that I really like the asymetrical originals you had in 3 and 2b. I prefer 2b, but I like hydrangeas better anyway. I think the photoshop play is interesting, but that your first few posts reflect the noon/midnight theme better.
    edited August 2, 2011
    Still Looking at All My Options
    red_zone wrote: »
    It seems like you've moved on, but I just wanted to let you know that I really like the asymetrical originals you had in 3 and 2b. I prefer 2b, but I like hydrangeas better anyway. I think the photoshop play is interesting, but that your first few posts reflect the noon/midnight theme better.

Jake, I just finished reshooting the "dark side" of 2b and I'm still looking at 2b and 6 as options. The photoshop play was to see whether I could introduce color effectively if I went with 5, but it looks like 2, 3, and 6 are more appealing and/or convey the theme better to folks. Waiting to hear whether this general idea fits the parameters of the challenge or not before I do more in photoshop but knew that I had to reshoot the hydrangeas asap....

Thank you very much for taking the time to give your input on these!

Gretchen
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2011
    GORGEOUS! You sure can tell that you are giving this a goodly amount of thought and energy....
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    GORGEOUS! You sure can tell that you are giving this a goodly amount of thought and energy....

Thanks, Sweet Harmony. Glad you like them. Any preferences with this challenge in mind?

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    Well, after all the reshoot/reprocessing, I still think 3 is my favorite. I just like the idea that the image is different as well as the lighting and processing. No matter which you pick to enter, it will be a strong entry. Nice work.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Well, after all the reshoot/reprocessing, I still think 3 is my favorite. I just like the idea that the image is different as well as the lighting and processing. No matter which you pick to enter, it will be a strong entry. Nice work.

Looks like #3 isn't option as it stands. Just heard back from Sean that most of these images fall within the rules. The exception is #3 because the subject isn't touching an edge of the white or black, meaning it is floating in a way that breaks the rules about not having frames. Number 3 is a temporary entry while I figure out whether to go with 2, 5 or 6 after making a few tweaks.

Still open to your thoughts on these!

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I really like the translucent colors of 2 & the right side of 6 - I also like 3, but understand (much better now after reading Sean's explanation) the framing issue there. Really neat idea of the black/white backgrounds - very on-theme! I also like the subtle flower background on the right side of 7b & the left side of 7d, but I like the color versions of the flowers better.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    New Night and Day Hydrangeas
    Here are the latest permutations. I'd welcome your input on which you think might be a strong entry. Wishing I had taken more art courses somewhere along the way.... C & C welcome.

Gretchen

8. Hydrangeas Night and Day
    i-qKHqMDz-L.jpg

i-9wKCmNP-L.jpg

10. Inverse Relationships
    i-VmsRnxP-L.jpg

11. Night and Day
    i-NxTkFh4-L.jpg

i-XVKSPQH-L.jpg

i-LQcMmNT-L.jpg

Many thanks for the help you have already given me!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like the translucent colors of 2 & the right side of 6 - I also like 3, but understand (much better now after reading Sean's explanation) the framing issue there. Really neat idea of the black/white backgrounds - very on-theme! I also like the subtle flower background on the right side of 7b & the left side of 7d, but I like the color versions of the flowers better.

Lillian, thanks for taking the time to give input on these. Hope things are going OK for you!

Gretchen
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Waiting to hear whether this general idea fits the parameters of the challenge or not

What parameters do you feel it pushes? Borders? Borders were allowed and now with Seans rule change, even more so. Otherwise I saw no rule issues in these photos~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    What parameters do you feel it pushes? Borders? Borders were allowed and now with Seans rule change, even more so. Otherwise I saw no rule issues in these photos~

Thanks for looking at this thread, Tom. I hope to get back to these later today or tomorrow. One of my composites was outside the rules re borders before - #3 Night and Day with coneflowers - but they all fit now that Sean tweaked the rules. Now I am just waiting on free time.

Gretchen