Options

photo instruction (towards the sun)

KjonesKjones Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 3, 2011 in Technique
Hi, I am a traveling cook. Loving the outdoors and getting the opportunity to work in some of the most beautiful places I have picked up photography as a hobby. I would like to know if you guys could help me out. How do you photograph looking towards the sun in the morning and daytime; without darking what is right in front of you or losing the details in the sky. when I attempt to do this, the sky turns bright white and the sun turns into a big white spot on the photograph. I dont know if it will make a difference but I have a Canon Rebel Xsi.

-thanks for your help,
Kellan Jones

Comments

• Options
    dgebbendgebben Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    sunsets
    Focus your camera on something dark in the area like a tree of building. Press the shutter button half way down allowing the camera to focus then while holding the shutter button move the camera to frame your sun set. Practice this as it takes time to get it right. Sunsets are tricky but the results can be stunning. Good luck!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Hi Kellan and welcome!

You're diving right in to one of the most tricky photographic situations. Camera sensors can't handle that sort of range in light like your eyes can, so your best bet will to be to take two shots (one for sky, one for your foreground subject) and merge them in a photo editor, or you can use a flash to brighten the dark subject in front.

Meanwhile though, I'll move this thread over to our Technique forums for you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Use flash to even out the light or expose on your subject and let the background go. Some people use reflectors...I don't recommend them...personal preference.
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    HDR. Download a trial of Photomatix Pro and take bracketed exposures. Otherwise you have to choose between the foreground and the sky.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com