Options

1st budoir session

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 4, 2011 in Go Figure
My first boudoir session took place in her home, all shot w/ available light.

Some taken w/ my canon 5d 50mm f1.4 and some w/ my Olympus E620 50mm f2.0--I love them both :)

sp-20-2-L.jpg

sp-51-L.jpg

sp-7-2-L.jpg

sp-17-L.jpg

C&C always welcome.
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    I seen some of your little league pics in PJ, and love the color of the PS in them. So for #4, I love the processing, but think there coulda been a more glamorous angle. For this forum anyways. Lol! My fav would have to be #2, though a little more light to show more sculpting of the curves would be nice. :) just my two cents. Nice work Liz. :B
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Hi Liz,
    good to see you're shooting GF again:-)
    1. I like the lighting, but the pose is bland and generally uninteresting. Legs in parallel rarely work, and this is a solid proof as to "why". Had she bend her "upper" knee, it'd be a totally different image. Also, she's half-eaten by the couch. It'd help if you'd place her on the very edge.
    2. Generally good, albeight I find the bg a bit distracting and probably too much loss in shadows to the camera right...
    3. Shot from the eye level? And lost a few perceptive inches on those legs :-( Sigh...
    4. Good pose and angle, but I don't like the cutting off the feet:-( Also, apparently you had not enough light and tried too hard in PS (lots of Purple under her upper knee).
    In general I find it very challenging (and frankly, very limiting) to use the window light only. I tried it myself recently and while it offer certain advantages (no need for $$$$ for the lighting, all you need is a camera, a daylight and a subject) both the quality and the versatility definitely suffer. Considering all the limitations, you did pretty good! thumb.gif
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2011
    I like #2 and #4 the best. The color processing in #4 is great and using natural light.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    The last two are nice! Maybe tone down the vignette on #3 though. On that first one, she's sinking into the couch and not posed very well. Her right leg angled over her left leg would give her more pleasing curves. #2 doesn't really look natural to me at all. But a nice 1st effort.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    I seen some of your little league pics in PJ, and love the color of the PS in them. So for #4, I love the processing, but think there coulda been a more glamorous angle. For this forum anyways. Lol! My fav would have to be #2, though a little more light to show more sculpting of the curves would be nice. :) just my two cents. Nice work Liz. :B

Hi Nelson---thank you very much for your comment on my PJ post.

I'm still learning--this is actually my first budouir shot where someone hired me, so I need the tips.

Funny--#2 is my favorite because I like the shadows rolleyes1.gif

I do like to see what others think though, it makes me open my eyes a bit.

Thank you for your two cents.

I hope I get booked again. She has sent some recommendations my way--let's see what happens.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hi Liz,

good to see you're shooting GF again:-)
    1. I like the lighting, but the pose is bland and generally uninteresting. Legs in parallel rarely work, and this is a solid proof as to "why". Had she bend her "upper" knee, it'd be a totally different image. Also, she's half-eaten by the couch. It'd help if you'd place her on the very edge.
    2. Generally good, albeight I find the bg a bit distracting and probably too much loss in shadows to the camera right...
    3. Shot from the eye level? And lost a few perceptive inches on those legs :-( Sigh...
    4. Good pose and angle, but I don't like the cutting off the feet:-( Also, apparently you had not enough light and tried too hard in PS (lots of Purple under her upper knee).
    In general I find it very challenging (and frankly, very limiting) to use the window light only. I tried it myself recently and while it offer certain advantages (no need for $$$$ for the lighting, all you need is a camera, a daylight and a subject) both the quality and the versatility definitely suffer. Considering all the limitations, you did pretty good! thumb.gif
    HTH

Hi NIkolai--it' sfunny that you mention #3 with her being shot at eye level for this legg shot. When I saw it, though I do like it, I did think to myself "man, I could have made her legs longer from a lower angle!!! then I thought "Nikolai will have a field day with this" :)

Thanks for the tips Nikolai--Right now I still dont' have $$$ to invest in lighting equipment nor the time to devote to learning it just yet. But I know how w/ budouir it;s needed. I did tell my client that I only shoot in available light and she decided to give me a try anyway.'

PS-I was so pissed I missed the entire shoe in shot #4!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    I like #2 and #4 the best. The color processing in #4 is great and using natural light.

Thank you! I did like the processing on #4--it's my favorite "processed" shot of the set. Next time I will try and not cut off the feet and likely change the angle on the legs.

I'm learning, I'm learning,

My client's man who is stationed in Afghanistan apparently loves the shoes and I was trying to do something with that:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2011
    dogwood wrote: »
    The last two are nice! Maybe tone down the vignette on #3 though. On that first one, she's sinking into the couch and not posed very well. Her right leg angled over her left leg would give her more pleasing curves. #2 doesn't really look natural to me at all. But a nice 1st effort.

Thank you.
    I hope it's not my first and last effort.
    So many details to handle and also try to keep the client comfortable so there won't be an awkward feeling. I think we managed that well together w/ some easy banter, but I think I lost my ability to analyze all the details while shooting.

I appreciate yoru tips thank you.

oh and on the vignette--I cropped as much as I could but the clutter around the curtains bothered me so much, such as the ac window unit--I was trying to hide them, but I see how the vignette is likely just as bothersome.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thank you! I did like the processing on #4--it's my favorite "processed" shot of the set. Next time I will try and not cut off the feet and likely change the angle on the legs.

I'm learning, I'm learning,

My client's man who is stationed in Afghanistan apparently loves the shoes and I was trying to do something with that:)

You're welcome! With those reasons in mind, I think you did a great job! :) Keep practicing and you'll be awesome!
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.