Options

Upper New York state road

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited September 18, 2005 in Landscapes
Taken from somewhere in the finger-lakes region of upper new york state a few weeks back, beautiful area to visit and shoot at. :thumb

35425461-L.jpg

AJ

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2005
    Thats a nice wide shot MD...did you use a polarizer to get the sky that rich blue ?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Very nice shot. I love that area. I used to live in Rochester and drive down to Canandaigua to visit friends. Beautiful drive. I often drove it in the evening sweet light of summer.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Hey Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats a nice wide shot MD...did you use a polarizer to get the sky that rich blue ?

Thanks Gus, and yes I did use a polarizer on it. 18-70 DX @ 29mm, A mode f4.

AJ
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very nice shot. I love that area. I used to live in Rochester and drive down to Canandaigua to visit friends. Beautiful drive. I often drove it in the evening sweet light of summer.
    lol Our hotel was in Canadaigua! :D We were there shooting a friend of Dani's wedding. It's only about a 4 hr drive from here in Ottawa...

Dani and I remarked often at how beautiful the area was, rolling hills, farms and vineyards... nod.gif

AJ
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    MuskyDude wrote:
    lol Our hotel was in Canadaigua! :D We were there shooting a friend of Dani's wedding. It's only about a 4 hr drive from here in Ottawa...

Dani and I remarked often at how beautiful the area was, rolling hills, farms and vineyards... nod.gif

AJ

Cool!

We also had old friends of the family that actually had a point named after them on the lake--Long's Point. The shale beach made for hours of rock-skipping fun. It's totally gorgeous, and it's wine making country, too! Bully Hill Wines is nearby. Very funny story, that. It was owned by Walter S. Taylor, of Taylor wines. Well, when Taylor wines was sold from the family, they sold the right to use the name.

Walter S. was a bit eccentric, and would draw his own wine labels, and sign his artwork as "Walter S. Taylor". He was sued by the company that bought them out (Coca-Cola, I think?) and had to stop using the Taylor name. He had a bottle with a self-portrait where he drew in the kind of eye-mask that Zorro would wear and scribbled out his last name in the signature.

Here's a similar bottle, you can see his name is blocked out.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    Nice shot AJ. I love the leading lines to the sky. Great colors.thumb.gif
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    David, I lived in Rochester also...from 1997-2000. Great area.

Nice shot AJ. That's a beautful area. Great wine country also. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Erich
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    I love the shot. Reminds me of the two years I lived in the area between the two longest finger lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, in a little town name Romulus.

If you are ever in the area again there is a neat little waterfall right beside NY 14 which runs along the western shore of Seneca Lake just a few miles north of Watkins Glen that you should shoot.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    Beautful shot AJ. All my pups are from the region I'll be heading up there one the baby can travel. I'll be sure to have my camera..
  • Options
    Khaos wrote:
    Nice shot AJ. I love the leading lines to the sky. Great colors.thumb.gif
    Thanks K I appreciate it.

AJ
  • Options
    Hi Eric
    erich6 wrote:
    David, I lived in Rochester also...from 1997-2000. Great area.

Nice shot AJ. That's a beautful area. Great wine country also. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Erich

Thank you, and I agree about it being a beautiful area. We just wished we had of had a bit more time to stop and shoot. Cheers!

AJ
  • Options
    Hello Dixie
    Dixie wrote:
    I love the shot. Reminds me of the two years I lived in the area between the two longest finger lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, in a little town name Romulus.

If you are ever in the area again there is a neat little waterfall right beside NY 14 which runs along the western shore of Seneca Lake just a few miles north of Watkins Glen that you should shoot.
    Thanks and we do plan on returning, your heads-up is appreciated. Dani and I shot a rather dry waterfall that would have been spectacular in the spring, I wonder if it's the same one you speak of. Have a good one!

AJ
  • Options
    Hey Eric
    4labs wrote:
    Beautful shot AJ. All my pups are from the region I'll be heading up there one the baby can travel. I'll be sure to have my camera..
    Thanks, and we'll all look forward to seeing your shots when you get back up there! Cheers!

AJ
  • Options
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Thanks and we do plan on returning, your heads-up is appreciated. Dani and I shot a rather dry waterfall that would have been spectacular in the spring, I wonder if it's the same one you speak of. Have a good one!

AJ
    If it was on NY 14 just north of Watkins Glen that would be it (on the right heading north). Post a photo of the one you took and I can say for sure. :):
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    Dixie wrote:
    If it was on NY 14 just north of Watkins Glen that would be it (on the right heading north). Post a photo of the one you took and I can say for sure. :):
    Hey Dixie...

This was closer to NY 21, in South Bristol

Heres a shot of AJ shooting the waterfall!

CRW_3417s-vi.jpg
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    Dani wrote:
    Hey Dixie...

This was closer to NY 21, in South Bristol

Heres a shot of AJ shooting the waterfall!
    Not the same one. The one on NY 14 you will need standard or wider focal length and can shoot it right from the bridge. I wish that I could post a photo of it. I took it in 1979 or 80 with a Mamiya RB 67 using b&w negative film and had it printed as a 24x30 which is too large for my scanner. One of these days I am going to have to break down and get someone to scan my old medium format negatives or else buy a scanner that will handle them.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    MarkSMarkS Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    Bully Hill Wine
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool!

Bully Hill Wines is nearby. Very funny story, that. It was owned by Walter S. Taylor, of Taylor wines. Well, when Taylor wines was sold from the family, they sold the right to use the name.

Walter S. was a bit eccentric, and would draw his own wine labels, and sign his artwork as "Walter S. Taylor". He was sued by the company that bought them out (Coca-Cola, I think?) and had to stop using the Taylor name. He had a bottle with a self-portrait where he drew in the kind of eye-mask that Zorro would wear and scribbled out his last name in the signature.

Here's a similar bottle, you can see his name is blocked out.
    He also produces Got My Goat Red... says they got my name but I still got my goat or something along those lines