Options

Newb, first post. Three photos.

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in People
I've never shown any of my photos in a public forum like this. I've been shooting for about two and a half months, every day. I haven't felt that I had anything good enough to actually share, but I'm willing to take my first step today. I realize this isn't the best work out there. It is only an honest representation of where I'm at, right now.

Equipment: Nikon D5100, 50mm 1.8G, 18-55 kit lens, cheap home made light modifiers, etc.

i-RqS6WSK-XL.jpg

i-BTnfzW2-XL.jpg

i-JLmmM4W-XL.jpg

I look at these and see ways they could be improved, so I know you more experienced people will have even better ideas. I'm hoping someone out there will be kind enough to take some time to really dissect these images. Please feel free to be brutally honest. I wouldn't have shared them if I wasn't prepared with a rather thick skin.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    #1 is very flat/grey. It almost looks underexposed unless that is how you wanted your processing to look.

#2 is warm (red/orange). The tree lends nothing to the photo. You need a horizontal line to emphasize/compare the height of the jump. His expression and pose is priceless!!!!

#3 The leading line of the fence is very good and dynamic but again the photo is flat in its lighting. The position of her head adheres to the rule of thirds and helps to create a strong subject placement in the photo. Her shirt is busy and takes attention away from her.

You get better by posting and asking for help so keep it up.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Charles,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Flat light is my enemy at the moment, I seem to be _really_ good at producing flat light in almost every shot. In 3, for example, would I have a better result moving the reflector to a more oblique angle? More to the rear of the subject, or not quite that far?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Ryan, buy a ping pong ball and carry it around with you. Hold it up in front of you and at subject position. Do do a 360 and watch the light on the ball. You should see it develop a shadow and move as you spin. Stop when you have the ball about one half to one quarter in shadow. Put you subject in that exact position and you will then have direction of light.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    If you are doing any processing learn how to do levels adjustments..instant cure for most dull underexposure issues.
    They don't look flat as much to me as just underexposed.
    3 is a good shot, just needs the exposure tweaked.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    Excellent tips. I'll be hitting the sports store tonight on the way home to buy me a pack of ping-pong balls. I'll have one in my pocket at all times until I master this thing. Here is a color version with a slightly different pose, opened up a bit more. I don't like it due to the shirt issue, but is the exposure too far the other way in this one?

i-Zx2D7cQ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    RyanS wrote: »
    Excellent tips. I'll be hitting the sports store tonight on the way home to buy me a pack of ping-pong balls. I'll have one in my pocket at all times until I master this thing. Here is a color version with a slightly different pose, opened up a bit more. I don't like it due to the shirt issue, but is the exposure too far the other way in this one?

i-Zx2D7cQ-XL.jpg

Have you checked your histogram?headscratch.gifthumb
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    processing aside, I think #2 is killer shot. #1 is okay but too grey for my taste.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Have you checked your histogram?headscratch.gifthumb

This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here...obviously an admitted newbie who is dealing with light issues and has admitted so. Do you really think he knows what a histogram is or how to read it? Since you brought it up...how about you give us a lesson. What do you look for in a histogram and what adjustments do you make to get it where you think it should be?deal.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    I won't talk to the technical nits already presented by the other guys since they already gave great advice. However, I did want to mention that there is one thing you are doing right and is the most difficult to learn. Your composition is pretty good. All three images are nicely composed. I also like you use of DOF. Good job. Now work on your use of light and processing and you'll be producing really great photos.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    markgorby wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I stopped posting here...obviously an admitted newbie who is dealing with light issues and has admitted so. Do you really think he knows what a histogram is or how to read it? Since you brought it up...how about you give us a lesson. What do you look for in a histogram and what adjustments do you make to get it where you think it should be?deal.gif

By definition, anyone posting here has access to search facilities - whether topic specific (Dgrin) or net wide.

If I come across something I don't understand, I'll try to find out about it by myself first ... I don't know what others do?

If these routes to understanding give an incomplete / garbled picture, they generally also give sufficient info to know what additional (more targetted) Qs to ask in order to flesh out the basics.

Re the second part - yes, I could describe what I do / go about it - but there's already a wealth of info around done by far better ppl than myself - and let's find out where the OP's at first?

I agree with the tips already mentioned, btw.

pp
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011

I have no teaching inclinations nor a master degree in photography.
    If you stopped posting here is your business, not mine.
    If you look at my posts you'll find I have only 117.
    I am a newbie myself and proud of it, but I have improved a lot with the C/C's from the knowledgeable ones here.
    I have got from point A to point B very fast and forced to learn by myself from others critique, good and not so good and sometimes harsh.
    A histogram is nothing if you don't know how to read it, I just honestly tried to propel him into discovering a tool he will need and use day in and out, not to show any type of supremacy of knowledge which I don't have.
    I hope this changes your opinion, if not, who cares.
    I hope RyanS truly understood what I meant writing: HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR HISTOGRAM?
    By the way, # 3 W/B is my preferred.
    Y.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Not a lesson but info I found by searching "What do you look for in a histogram" And I found these two.

http://www.howtogeek.com/66546/what-is-a-histogram-and-how-can-i-use-it-to-improve-my-photos/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

They both seem to do a nice job explaining.thumb.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    Not a lesson but info I found by searching "What do you look for in a histogram" And I found these two.

http://www.howtogeek.com/66546/what-is-a-histogram-and-how-can-i-use-it-to-improve-my-photos/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

They both seem to do a nice job explaining.thumb.gif

Thanks.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!beer.gif
    Y.
  • Options
    DarrylDSmithDarrylDSmith Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Love the second shot the most. His facial expression is pretty awesome and the colors aren't too bad. The bright spot on his shirt may detract some, but it's no biggie with me. I'd def check out what was mentioned above. Also, next time, if you can, try to fix the hair of your clients. Some people have the BIGGEST thing about hair (once did a 2-hour shoot and a model hated all of them because of her hair -__- ). Just a tip in the future, but these shots are pretty cool.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    I'm not afraid of getting a little technical. I really appreciate the links to the histogram information and for all the suggestions here. I have already started reading and I promise each one of your suggestions will be carefully considered. I am very grateful to everyone for the feedback. I didn't expect such a response from experienced photographers. I am in awe of some of the work posted by you folks. Some of your work is just jaw-dropping amazing. The more I learn the more I realize how hard it is to do what you folks do. That has given me a new appreciation for the visual world in which we live.

I, for one, do plan on posting again.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Glad to have you as part of our community. Never hesitate to post photos or questions. I am member of many forums and I have yet to find a photo forum with such great members. First, the number of quality photographers on Dgrin is amazing but there are a few other forums that have some really good photogs that share their work. The difference in Dgrin is that the photogs are always willing to answer questions and give feedback. Keep posting. I guarantee you it will help you grow your skills.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    WELCOME!! My first post was a bit scary for me too, but I have learned more here than anywhere else!! Keep posting !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700