Options

A3 print?

oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited August 5, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi all
I have a photograph that shows a size of 5955 pixels wide by 3971 pixels high. I have got a request from a customer for a A3 print of this picture. have never tried to resize before in cs5. Any recommendations on what to do?
What boxes should i have ticked in the image size menue in CS5 before i change the size of the original image?

Regards
Patrick.:scratch

Comments

• Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    the dimentions of my original photograph is very near 297mm × 420mm to make an A3 print.
    Should i select the original photo drag it over the template size and drag it until it is the right size or try some other method?

Regards
    Patrick.:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 4, 2011
    A3 paper is defined as 297mm x 420mm, or 11.69 inches x 16.54 inches as seen here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

For fine print quality, most folks prefer 300 pixels per inch, or in your A3 print, 16.54 x 300 = 4962 pixels and you have 5995 in your image.

For the short side, at 11.69 inches, you need 11.69 x 300 = 3507 and you have 3971. So you have sufficient pixels for an A3 image in your file, so you should be fine.

Do you plan to print this from Photoshop?

If so just tell PS that you want to print this as an A3 size, or as 11.69 x 16.54 inches, and let the printer driver in PS deal with the adjustments to fit the A3 size.

The aspect ratio for an A3 print is 297/420 = .707

The aspect ratio for your file is 3971/5955 = .667, hence you will need to crop one margin of your image to completely match the aspect ratio of an A3 print.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    A3 paper is defined as 297mm x 420mm, or 11.69 inches x 16.54 inches as seen here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

For fine print quality, most folks prefer 300 pixels per inch, or in your A3 print, 16.54 x 300 = 4962 pixels and you have 5995 in your image.

For the short side, at 11.69 inches, you need 11.69 x 300 = 3507 and you have 3971. So you have sufficient pixels for an A3 image in your file, so you should be fine.

Do you plan to print this from Photoshop?

If so just tell PS that you want to print this as an A3 size, or as 11.69 x 16.54 inches, and let the printer driver in PS deal with the adjustments to fit the A3 size.

The aspect ratio for an A3 print is 297/420 = .707

The aspect ratio for your file is 3971/5955 = .667, hence you will need to crop one margin of your image to completely match the aspect ratio of an A3 print.

Hi Pathfinder,
    It is good to know there is a friendly face waiting for anyone needing help here on the forum. I took all you said into consideration and done a small experiment.
    I opened a new file in cs5 to the dimentions of an A3 piece of photographic paper.
    Next i opened my image and placed it into the new file. Yup you are right, my image is too large. So i guess what i should have first asked was........When i have to resize an image that is too large what should i tick and what should i not, inside the image size box. i probably should leave constrain proportions alone i think.
    Mabey you have a better idea of this only since this is my first time i dont want the customer unhappy with the finished product.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Patrick,

Open your image in CS5. Select the crop tool. Enter your dimensions (16.54 " X 11.69") or substitute the metric equivalent. Leave the resolution box blank. Crop to taste.

Send off to print.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Patrick,

Open your image in CS5. Select the crop tool. Enter your dimensions (16.54 " X 11.69") or substitute the metric equivalent. Leave the resolution box blank. Crop to taste.

Send off to print.

Sam

Now why didnt i think of that! Thanks Sam. If i remember right you said on some other tread that you are a stickler for detail. Can i email you the full picture so that you could see if i have got the colours and sharpness right?

Cheers
    Pat.:D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    When i have to resize an image that is too large what should i tick and what should i not, inside the image size box. i probably should leave constrain proportions alone i think.
    Mabey you have a better idea of this only since this is my first time i dont want the customer unhappy with the finished product.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards

I have a simple rule for me that seems to work.....
    1st - never have anything in the image size box ticked except for constrain proportions
    other wise you start interpolating pixels and for me that is one thing that I do not want done by photoshop at all.......

next.........
    change the dpi to 339.692 this will get you real close to the desire image size with about 1 inch of crop needed for the longest side(s), top or bottom or both, ..................

Now save the by using "SAVE AS", so that you do not overwrite the original...send a web ready copy to client for approval...since they saw an edge to edge original they may not want one that has been cropped.......(after saving the cropped image go to file come down to "save for the web" and pick a small good looking image to send for approval) .....it may seem like a lot of work but it can get you more clients in the end.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2011
    Now why didnt i think of that! Thanks Sam. If i remember right you said on some other tread that you are a stickler for detail. Can i email you the full picture so that you could see if i have got the colours and sharpness right?

Cheers
    Pat.:D

Sure no problem. Make sure you send the full res file. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Sure no problem. Make sure you send the full res file. :D

Sam

Thanks again Sam. Looks like i now have a much more presentrable image to bring to the printers.

Kind Regards