Options

Abandoned Cracker House

WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited June 20, 2004 in Landscapes
Old style Cracker House abandoned long ago. The old Cracker House and Shotgun style homes are full of history in Southern architecture. I just love 'em.

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Old style Cracker House abandoned long ago. The old Cracker House and Shotgun style homes are full of history in Southern architecture. I just love 'em.
    Why are they called Cracker Houses?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Why are they called Cracker Houses?
    The homes themselves are of a vernacular style of architecture that permeated throughout pre air conditioned Florida. The shotgun style is also included as part of this vernacular style. The "Cracker" name is said to refer to the early Florida settlers known as "Crackers". There are a few theories as to why they were referred to as crackers. If you are interested I can add to this.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 15, 2004
    Cracker houses eh? We only have crack houses up here. :D

You're shot is nice. I like the composition, but if I may, your BW conversion seems a little flat. I only say this cause mine usually do the same. I find I often need to kick a little harder and really get good black/white contrast rather than a lot of gray.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    Hi Erik,

Ya know, I thought the same. But it is nice to get a confirmation. Thanks dude, appreciate the comment.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 16, 2004
    Whew, i'm usually weary of "constructive critiscism"... just felt strongly bout that one because I've been struggling with it myself.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    For those that are interested, here is a brief link on Cracker Houses.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/12106.shtml
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    digismile wrote:

Yes, I have seen this link. Nice of you to post it. So, I suppose you are already familiar with the different "Cracker" definitions.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Yes, I have seen this link. Nice of you to post it. So, I suppose you are already familiar with the different "Cracker" definitions.
    Hardly! After reading your first response, I was still curious to find out more so did a bit more research. :D

I love finding out more about the pictures, ie, the story behind them. As my wife says, "who lives there and why?". Around here we tend to bulldoze old things under. It's great to see pieces of history still hanging around.

Older homes took on a new meaning last summer. My grandmother's family home was dedicated as a historical site in Lloydminster, AB. Her younger sister was the first child born to the Barr River Colonists who ultimately settled the area and became Lloydminster.

To most people it just looks like a really old house (kinda like your cracker house). But what they don't know is that it was the first house in the town to have wood floors. It was also the first post office and home of the stationmaster for the railroad.

So when I see a picture of an old house, I wonder "who lived there and why?"

Thanks for the little piece of history.

Brad
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2004
    digismile wrote:

Nice link, thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au