Options

Juvi Roseate Spoonbills, White Ibis, Snowy Egret, GBH, and One Unknown

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Wildlife
Hi Everyone,

Avery Island in South Louisiana is not everyone's idea of a great summer destination, but despite the heat it was really green and beautiful after a big rain in late July. Please help me identify Bird #3! And I especially appreciate any photography suggestions! Best, Pam

1. and 2. White Ibis

20110726White-L.jpg

20110726WhiteIbisAveryIsland00-L.jpg

3. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS BIRD IS! (Seems like I cropped in a little too tight?)

20110726BitternAveryIsland001-L.jpg

4. Juvenile Roseate Spoonbills

20110726RoseateSpoonbillsAvery-L.jpg

5. Roseate Spoonbill sharing a perch with a Snowy Egret

20110726RoseateSpoonbillSnowyE-L.jpg

6. Great Blue Heron

20110726GreatBlueHeronAveryIsl-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    Very nice set of images Pam, and that unknow is a Green Heron. Hope to capture some of these birds this coming Oct.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2011
    Thank you, Dennis! I thought the unknown looked like a green heron I saw earlier this year, but I could not see any green on this bird. Best, Pam
  • Options
    LindiweLindiwe Registered Users Posts: 606 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2011
    Beautiful series, Pam.
    I do agree that your crop on the Green Heron is a teensy bit tight, but probably just a matter of taste. It's still a beautiful shot.
    I absolutely love the 4th image, of the juvenile spoonbills. The composition is just gorgeous.
    (The images appear to me to be just a tiny bit dark. I suspect this is more likely to be an issue my monitor settings than your excellent photography, though.)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Lindiwe wrote: »
    Beautiful series, Pam.
    I do agree that your crop on the Green Heron is a teensy bit tight, but probably just a matter of taste. It's still a beautiful shot.
    I absolutely love the 4th image, of the juvenile spoonbills. The composition is just gorgeous.
    (The images appear to me to be just a tiny bit dark. I suspect this is more likely to be an issue my monitor settings than your excellent photography, though.)

Thank you, Lindewe! You are absolutely right--it is my monitor, not yours. I have a new monitor, and when I checked the callibration, it was way too bright. After I corrected that, the photos look too dark to me, too. Many, many thanks! Best, Pam
  • Options
    korandokekorandoke Registered Users Posts: 517 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    nice set pam.
    nr 5 is my favorite
    Best regards,
    Korandoke
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    korandoke wrote: »
    nice set pam.
    nr 5 is my favorite

Thank you, Korandoke! Hope you are having a great summer! Best, Pam
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    Excellent set Pam, very well composed images (excluding #3, the crop is too tight).

As for the bird ID I will have to differ and say its a juvenile tri-color heron.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    Excellent set Pam, very well composed images (excluding #3, the crop is too tight).

As for the bird ID I will have to differ and say its a juvenile tri-color heron.

Thanks, Harry. I see you are right. I first thought it was a juvenile tri colored heron because it was perched where I had seen them before, and because of the rust coloring and white stripe up its neck. Then after I looked at it on the computer, I wasn't so sure, because it's neck looked so short. Green Heron, Bittern? . But just now I searched the internet, and everything except its short appearing neck looks just like another juvenile tri colored heron photo. I don't know why it had its neck pulled in like that. For sure it could not have been cold!

Thanks for your always appreciated suggestions, too. Best, Pam
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    The spoon bills are my favorite. Very nice images, Pam!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    The spoon bills are my favorite. Very nice images, Pam!

Thank you, Mike! I love the spoonbills too. The adults are so beautifully colored, and this is the first year I have been sure they were nesting at Avery Island. Exciting for us. Best, Pam
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Great series. I really like the Ibis.
    Angela
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    spechtal wrote: »
    Great series. I really like the Ibis.

Thanks, Angela! That White Ibis did seem to have a lot of personality! Best, Pam