Options

Wedding Challenge • 07/2011 • FLOWERS

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Weddings
This challenge is still to be announced / "named" by Nicole. I'm leaving for Boston in a couple of hours and don't think I'll have many chances to check my email, so I figured I'd prepare this thread already, hope you guys don't mind.

Nicole, please announce the new theme by commenting below .. I'll change the title of the thread + the gallery once I get back (oh, and please feel free to upload a few samples :D THANKS!)
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE GALLERY
>>> FROM NICOLE:
A flower or flowers must be the main subject of the picture (humans can be involved). Doesn't necessarily have to be the brides bouquet, or the grooms boutonniere. Looking for out of the box entries, maybe something that i haven't thought of or seen before!

or go to: www.smugmug.com

login: DgrinExtras
password: knockknock

Then go to: Wedding Challenge • 07/2011 • Flowers

From there you should be able to upload a pic, but let me know if you have any questions (see top right corner / UPLOAD > TO THIS GALLERY)
When you upload a photo, please name it with YOUR NAME, or your nickname (I need to be able to contact you, if you win, so don't make it too hard, haha). Please do NOT upload full res files as I can't take any responsibilities for it and don't want the photo to end up in the wrong hands. Feel free to put your name on the photo.

Once we announce the winner, the top 3 pics will receive a 1st / 2nd / 3rd place badge :D

The CUT-OFF date is July 31st. Nicole will then have time to choose the 3 winners and will announce them by August 2nd :barb

Let me (or Nicole) know if you have any questions.

:lust

Shhhhhht, there are 2 entries allowed per person.
Let's gooooooo!!! :lynnma

Comments

• Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    WOW, i'm going to Boston too this weekend! I will submit the challenge by the end of the day. mwink.gif
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    WOW, i'm going to Boston too this weekend! I will submit the challenge by the end of the day. mwink.gif

HA! Tooo funny!!! Hope you have fun, Boston is beautiful. :D Sounds great about the challenge, thanks Nicole! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    OK, so some might think this is lame, but we haven't had a detail challenge in a few months so I am going with Flowers...

Matt, i do like your water idea, but am a little worried about the number of entries...my last win only had a few entries, so this time I want to see pages and pages! Come on people get cracking.

What i am looking for: Flowers

A flower or flowers must be the main subject of the picture (humans can be involved). Doesn't necessarily have to be the brides bouquet, or the grooms boutonniere. Looking for out of the box entries, maybe something that i haven't thought of or seen before!

2 entries per photog!

Ready....Set...GO! cheerleader.gif
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Does it have be flowers that the bride and groom bought or made? Could it be from the venue itself?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2011
    Works for me! I think I might even have some pics of flowers in water! Ha!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    Does it have be flowers that the bride and groom bought or made? Could it be from the venue itself?

Nope, as long as it was taken at a wedding. I will even let engagement photos slip in if need be.
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    works for me! I think i might even have some pics of flowers in water! Ha!

:d
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2011
    OK Nicole, for the record, I haven't yet looked at the gallery so I am asking this question w/o prejudice jic someone posted an image similar to this. this is actually an image shot by my second a couple weeks ago so I will use this as an example. Question is What defines the flower(s) as being the subject of the image? In this image the photog was clearly taking a picture of the groom as he was getting pinned up. Flower isn't the subject but the flower is a main secondary component to the image. The way I read your rules, is that you want not just flowers in an image like this, but pictures of flowers only. Maybe a bride out of focus or a cathedral in the background or whatever, but not an image where the subject is other than flowers.

i-twgXxjf-L.jpg

in this second image, which is just a crop of the first image, I would consider the flower to be the subject, but it could still be seen as some to be a secondary component.

i-bkFzCkh-L.jpg

I may be the only one confused, but likely others are wondering, or if you judge based on these specifics then people will be upset if they didn't realize. So from my examples, 1, 2, both or neither?

Thanks and sorry to be so anal.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2011
    mmmatt wrote: »
    OK Nicole, for the record, I haven't yet looked at the gallery so I am asking this question w/o prejudice jic someone posted an image similar to this. this is actually an image shot by my second a couple weeks ago so I will use this as an example. Question is What defines the flower(s) as being the subject of the image? In this image the photog was clearly taking a picture of the groom as he was getting pinned up. Flower isn't the subject but the flower is a main secondary component to the image. The way I read your rules, is that you want not just flowers in an image like this, but pictures of flowers only. Maybe a bride out of focus or a cathedral in the background or whatever, but not an image where the subject is other than flowers.

i-twgXxjf-L.jpg

in this second image, which is just a crop of the first image, I would consider the flower to be the subject, but it could still be seen as some to be a secondary component.

i-bkFzCkh-L.jpg

I may be the only one confused, but likely others are wondering, or if you judge based on these specifics then people will be upset if they didn't realize. So from my examples, 1, 2, both or neither?

Thanks and sorry to be so anal.

Matt

Hey Matt. Sorry for the late and short response. I'm on vk right now and only have spotty phone reception ( and not much Internet time). To me, the subject of the first photo is the flower, yet the second photo is much stronger in relation to the theme... Make sence?
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2011
    Thanks Nicole. that absolutely clarifies for me and I'm glad I asked.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 19, 2011
    OK!!! i am back from vacation and waiting for more entries.... waiting and waiting and waiting. ne_nau.gif
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2011
    I accidentally uploaded the same photo twice. Would someone with access please delete one of them? Thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    I accidentally uploaded the same photo twice. Would someone with access please delete one of them? Thank you.

Done & done thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2011
    only a few days left...i expect to see many many more. If you are reading this and have ever shot a wedding, i know you have some sort of flower photos... :D
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    ewebwomanewebwoman Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2011
    Opps! Don't know how I actually uploaded my images twice. Delete is grayed out. Sorry :(
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Can we give this one two more days... maybe for those who shot this past weekend. Come on people, i know we have more then what is posted (not that i don't already have some favs. ) POST POST POST! :D
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2011
    Can we give this one two more days... maybe for those who shot this past weekend. Come on people, i know we have more then what is posted (not that i don't already have some favs. ) POST POST POST! :D

Sounds great, Nicole. We'll extend the deadline to Wednesday, 11.59pm thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2011
    Thanks! I completely forgot to enter until just now. (Some very pretty stuff in there!)
  • Options
    canonboycanonboy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2011
    Oops! I just uploaded 2 versions of the same photo! Can you help me delete the first one (darker one)? The delete button is grayed out.

Mine is the one with a bunch of flower petals on the table and a candle in the bottom left corner. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2011
    canonboy wrote: »
    Oops! I just uploaded 2 versions of the same photo! Can you help me delete the first one (darker one)? The delete button is grayed out.

Mine is the one with a bunch of flower petals on the table and a candle in the bottom left corner. Thanks.

Not a problem ... thumb.gif Thanks for submitting!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2011
    Thanks to everybody who submitted a photo to the current contest iloveyou.gif

Just a quick note, I'll be leaving for MA tomorrow early morning and I won't be able to check my messages / emails on a toooo regular basis (though I will in the evenings).

Nicole, can you please announce the 3 winners here on the board, and I'll send the first-place winner a PM with further instructions.

Thanks so much for your patience! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    And the Winners are:

First Place: #3, Matthew Saville. Stunning shot, really what i was looking for. The Flowers make this photo. If they were laying on grass it wouldn't have had the same effect as them in the clover? filed. Just beautiful. The composition is spot on, perfect amount of light on their faces, some contract with the shadows. Really enjoyed the shot. Also, LOVE how you can get a bride to lay in a field, most brides would never get the dress dirty (coming from a girl who wore her dress in a waterfall :) )

Second Place: #14, Angie. Another great example of using flowers, this time in an engagement session. Again, the addition of the flowers makes this shot work. It gives what could have been a flat looking shot depth. And i love the all the color!

Third Place: #20, HeatherFeather. This was a tough choice between #20 and #18 (Both Heathers shots). What makes 20 stand out is the use of nature and not necessarily the brides bouquet. Most photographers would think to avoid the so called weeds, but Heather decided to embrace them. I am not totally in favor of the composition and probably would have favored a horizontal crop instead of a vertical, but it defiantly captured my eye.
    I loved the joy in #18, but would have liked to see her face and not just the tossing of the flowers. LOVE flower girls :)

Great job everyone! thanks for submitting! Matt- you are up (again).
    Nicole
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    Thanks Nicole!!! iloveyou.gif Congrats to the winners and Mat, I'll be waiting for the new theme.

Thanks so much to everybody that submitted a pic (or two)!! clap.gif
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    And the Winners are:

First Place: #3, Matthew Saville. Stunning shot, really what i was looking for. The Flowers make this photo. If they were laying on grass it wouldn't have had the same effect as them in the clover? filed. Just beautiful. The composition is spot on, perfect amount of light on their faces, some contract with the shadows. Really enjoyed the shot. Also, LOVE how you can get a bride to lay in a field, most brides would never get the dress dirty (coming from a girl who wore her dress in a waterfall :) )

Second Place: #14, Angie. Another great example of using flowers, this time in an engagement session. Again, the addition of the flowers makes this shot work. It gives what could have been a flat looking shot depth. And i love the all the color!

Third Place: #20, HeatherFeather. This was a tough choice between #20 and #18 (Both Heathers shots). What makes 20 stand out is the use of nature and not necessarily the brides bouquet. Most photographers would think to avoid the so called weeds, but Heather decided to embrace them. I am not totally in favor of the composition and probably would have favored a horizontal crop instead of a vertical, but it defiantly captured my eye.
    I loved the joy in #18, but would have liked to see her face and not just the tossing of the flowers. LOVE flower girls :)

Great job everyone! thanks for submitting! Matt- you are up (again).
    I certainly would have voted for Angie's pic, it's beautiful! But of course I'm flattered, thank you Nicole!

Gosh, I'm running out of theme ideas! Any suggestions? Hot sunny day? :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2011
    How about something about humor... catching a funny moment, or a big laugh or something like that? We did the b&w candids... but how about something more specific within the sphere of candids?
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 5, 2011
    How about shoes? Details? Tears? Perfect light? Rings? Heirlooms? SOOC? "Wind"?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2011
    How about something about humor... catching a funny moment, or a big laugh or something like that? We did the b&w candids... but how about something more specific within the sphere of candids?
    I'm gonna go with cake cutting, then. Potential for humor, potential for good candids in general. :-)

1073235544_U93tA-O.jpg

197137834_RAyRx-O.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    Love the new theme Matt and to all 3 of you guys, wow. Great images.

Matt
    My Smugmug site