Options

Focus stacked fly

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited September 19, 2005 in Holy Macro
Thought it worth posting this- my first successful focus stacked fly and also my last macro shot for quite a while- the iris on my macro lens stopped functioning just after this shot-so back to Sigma UK with it.
The fly is a small "Dance" fly about 7mm long, taken at 1:1 with my 105mm EX lens. Camera hand held resting on a bench arm.
Brian V.

Cropped focus stacked pic

36613025-L.jpg

Uncropped Pic#1

36613019-L.jpg

Uncropped pic#2

36613023-L.jpg

Uncropped focus stack

36613024-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    Very neat Brian.

Bad news about these Sigma lenses and their iris problems. Did it err99 on you without closing down the iris? At least the turn around time on mine was less than 5 days.

alan
  • Options
    BigAl wrote:
    Very neat Brian.

Bad news about these Sigma lenses and their iris problems. Did it err99 on you without closing down the iris? At least the turn around time on mine was less than 5 days.

alan
    Thanks Alan
    I've had about 5 error99s over the last few weeks, but it coincided with me using my 1.4X extender, but since then it has done it without the extender. I've also had a couple of completely blown shots in the last few days where the iris obviously did not shut down. Yesterday after taking the above shots, the iris would not shut down at all using the DOF preview button on the camera, but this morning it seems to be functioning again. Will be contacting Sigma in a few minutes to see what they say.
    BrianV.
    Do you know what they did to your lens?
  • Options
    Do you know what they did to your lens?
    I have no idea what they did, but the report from the company that did the work said "fixed the aperture blades". However, the problem was very similar to what you're experiencing (as well as what people who need rechipping seem to be experiencing). Worrying :uhoh

alan
  • Options
    BigAl wrote:
    I have no idea what they did, but the report from the company that did the work said "fixed the aperture blades". However, the problem was very similar to what you're experiencing (as well as what people who need rechipping seem to be experiencing). Worrying uhoh2.gif

alan
    Well I must have taken about 8000 pics with it before this happened so it's been used a lot. It's now winging it's way to Sigma UK, but looks like I'll be without it for 2-3 weeks. Must admit I was more worried about shutter failure happening on the camera rather than lens failure- I almost wish for a digital SLR with manual focusing and manual aperture setting on the lenses-less to go wrong!
    I've just taken a few macro pics with the kit lens with an old close up filter I had laying around. The lens in the filter was so old, the stuff sticking the two halves of the lens had discoloured, but I managed to get the two halves apart and clean them off and stick them back together with some of that UV reactive glass glue, I was amazed it seems to have worked.- result was not too bad- will post it later.

Here it is - kit 18-55mm lens with old close up filter on front fixed in position with an elastic band.
    Thought initially I had a major problem with the lens but then realised the fly really did have a torn eye.

36631895-L.jpg
    Brian V.
  • Options
    I've just taken a few macro pics with the kit lens with an old close up filter I had laying around. The lens in the filter was so old, the stuff sticking the two halves of the lens had discoloured, but I managed to get the two halves apart and clean them off and stick them back together with some of that UV reactive glass glue, I was amazed it seems to have worked.- result was not too bad- will post it later.
    Brian V.
    I also had to resort to taking pics with the kit lens when opportunities presented themselves while my Sigma was in for surgery - only I didn't have the luxury of close-up filters :):

35192335-O.jpg

My bugs are increasing
  • Options
    Here it is - kit 18-55mm lens with old close up filter on front fixed in position with an elastic band.
    Thought initially I had a major problem with the lens but then realised the fly really did have a torn eye.Brian V.
    That's *excellent* definition for a lens that most people say should never be considered in one's initial purchase...

At least you'll be able to carry on taking pics until the winter sets in thumb.gif
  • Options
    BigAl wrote:
    That's *excellent* definition for a lens that most people say should never be considered in one's initial purchase...

At least you'll be able to carry on taking pics until the winter sets in thumb.gif
    Thanks Al- same with your shot.
    Think I might use the opportunity to actually use my other recent purchase- a canon 200mm F2.8L and perhaps even the kit lens! ie something other than macro.
    Brian V