Options

Isle of Skye - Scotland (29 XL Pictures)

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited August 12, 2011 in Journeys
The Isle of Skye is sometimes referred to as The Misty Isle. True to the moniker, the Isle has extreme weather that leaves it in clouds for a considerable amount of time. The Isle is not the easiest place to get to as it is only accessible by car or ferry from the northern reaches of Scotland. During planning to go to the Isle, my wife and I determined that a car would be absolutely necessary. The next step was determining where to hire a car and how to get to the car hire and back.

We decided to first fly into London and spend a little bit of time there. While in London, we went to the Burlington Arcade on Picadilly:

#1:
1249272821_mVrpf-XL.jpg

One of our primary reasons to go to the Burlington Arcade is macarons at Laduree:

#2:
1249279788_jffmc-XL.jpg

After we had spent some time in London, we boarded the Caledonian Sleeper towards Inverness:

#3:
1255443200_CcP42Td-XL.jpg

#4:
1255446496_3GT3wc4-XL.jpg

From there, we had a 3.5 hour drive to our cottage on the Northwest part of the island. Here is one of the scenes that we passed on the way in:

#5:
1255450321_TgTmwHk-XL.jpg

One thing you must know about the Isle of Skye is that the terrain is very diverse and the island is separated into several regions (largely by peninsula): Duirinish, Waternish, Trotternish, Minginish, and Sleat and South Skye. We had almost a week in Skye and decided to visit a different region per day. Our planning was largely influenced by the weather. I had GRPS service on my mobile phone and so we were at least able to load the BBC weather forecast for Portree on a daily basis. (Portree is the largest town on the Isle of Skye and is in Minginish.)

During our first full day on Skye, there was good weather and so we headed to the Trotternish peninsula, which has some of the most unique land features on the island. On this day, we did the Quirang walk, which was quite an experience. On this walk, we went through rain, ice, sun, and winds that were so strong you had to brace yourself at times to keep from blowing over. Walking into those winds was an exercise in endurance as it became increasingly difficult to push forward. Some of the scenes that we saw on this walk:

#6:
1249761990_jyrvi-XL.jpg

#7:
1249765743_dP8HQ-XL.jpg

#8:
1249803118_cyJrP-XL.jpg

The next morning, I went out and made a few images around the cottage we were staying at to show what the Duirinish peninsula is like. One thing about this part of Scotland is that you have lots of single track road, in which the road is barely wide enough for one car and you have bi-directional traffic. There are several "passing places" scattered along the track that enable you to safely pass the oncoming traffic. Coupled with the large number of sheep who would often block the road, it was quite the enjoyable driving experience.

#9:
1249730555_SMNFV-XL.jpg

#10:
1249738465_cHsuC-XL.jpg

#11:
1249735904_VdXLL-XL.jpg

#12:
1253160450_43B2c4T-XL.jpg

Not too long after I made these images, it began to rain -- which is not surprising at all on Skye. We decided to head to the Fairy Pools and Eas Mor which are out in Minginish. When we got to the Fairy Pools, the rain was pouring heavily and non-stop. We didn't actually want to get out of the car, and so we didn't. We headed down to Eas Mor instead (as it was a shorter walk) and we never really found the good view point for this major waterfall. However, the streams coming down from the Eas Mor were very nice:

#13:
1252412299_rN3nU-XL.jpg

After a while, the rain let up and so we headed back to the Fairy Pools. Upon getting a little bit down the trail, we came to an "intermediate burn crossing" (burn being Gaelic for stream). Neither of us felt safe crossing the stream (which was actually the Sligachan River) and so we didn't get to see the Fairy Pools. I was really looking forward to that part of the trip, but here are a few pictures of the valleys of the Cuillin Mountains where we were:

#14:
1254924903_zqggwmH-XL.jpg

#15:
1252406801_MChKg-XL.jpg

Since we didn't get the chance to hike to the Fairy Pools we had some extra time on our hands. With that extra time, we drove to Talisker Bay:

#16:
1252415936_ajNjU-XL.jpg

Getting to Talisker Bay, you pass beautiful terrain with massive waterfalls everywhere. I think I counted at least six major waterfalls just from the car to Talisker Bay (which amounted to about 30 minutes of walking).

The next day the weather was up in the air and we headed for the Waternish peninsula to go see the view from the Cliffs of Score Horan. This walk was not a lot of fun as it went over very marshy, wet terrain, but here are the views we were rewarded with:

#17:
1255412116_ZxrJCZb-XL.jpg

#18:
1255415559_MKhjmG9-XL.jpg

The rest of the day turned out to be very rainy and we didn't get any more hiking in. The next day was more of the same. We did drive into Portree to pick up some groceries, but the rain continued all day.

The weather forecast for our last full day on Skye was shaping up very nicely. As this would be our last full day, we filled the schedule and the morning started for us at 4:45am to catch the sunrise out at Neist Point. One thing that makes Neist Point difficult at sunrise is that it is one of the windiest places you can go on Skye and wind and long exposure photography don't mix.

Ensuring that your gear is behind the rocks as much as possible can help quite a bit:

#19:
1253163366_gRFM3H2-XL.jpg

#20:
1253983753_cBGxkJj-XL.jpg

After this, we had some breakfast and then headed back to the Trotternish to hike up to the Old Man of Storr. Here are the images from on the way up:

#21:
1255421805_xjCshGw-XL.jpg

#22:
1253988680_9VQ4rG8-XL.jpg

Here is the view from the base of the Old Man of Storr:

#23:
1257550458_NH4WJQF-XL.jpg

And coming back down through the forest (which if you look carefully at the previous picture, you can see on the bottom left):

#24:
1249769082_UZLk9-XL.jpg

We then headed up to Kilt Rock and unfortunately, without hiking out to Brother's point, there isn't a real good view of this impressive sea side waterfall.

After that, we headed to where the Lealt River falls out into the ocean at Inver Tote. From the car park and the easy path you couldn't see a whole lot of the waterfalls that are down in the gorge at this area. I hiked the very steep hike down into the gorge and I must say that the lower falls is quite beautiful:

#25:
1255425147_fst69LV-XL.jpg

Later that evening, we went to Elgol, which is in South Skye. The drive to Elgol is a very long drive down single track roads that wind back and forth through some breathtaking country side. This particular night did not bring a lot of sunset light to Elgol, but here is what I was able to see:

#26:
1255430665_jJh4Nbw-XL.jpg

#27:
1255433982_5sSzjhW-XL.jpg

#28:
1255435800_DQKRLK9-XL.jpg

That was a very long day that didn't see us getting back to the cottage until 11:30pm. The next day, we had to drive back to Inverness to catch the Sleeper back to London. On the way back, we did stop at Eilean Donan castle in Dornie:

#29:
1253992308_tsMzCRK-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited April 17, 2011
    After that, we took it easy and I didn't make any more images.

If you are interested in seeing more of my pictures from Skye, please go to:http://www.kabbottphoto.com/Landscapes-and-Nature/UK-Scotland/Isle-of-Skye-April-2011/
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Looks like a great trip. I loved Scotland! That trail pictured in #6-8 is perhaps the most beautiful hike I've ever taken. I was in awe the whole time. Thanks for taking me back.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    Wow, this is such a great set and I am seriously considering doing a similar trip now after seeing the rest of your photos from Scotland! I love how dynamic the weather is up there, as well as how green and lush it is. Not a whole lot of people tromping around is another huge plus.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2011
    What a great photo spread. I too must come and visit your beautiful country.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    What a great photo spread. I too much come and visit your beautiful country.

A great set of photos! You did amazingly well to cover so much of the island in the short time you were there. Thank you for bringing back some great memories.

Back in 2000-2002 I lived there for a while it was an amazing experience. Unless you actually see the brilliance of the 'green-ness' it's hard to appreciate just how bright and lush it is in spring.

While I was there most pics were taken using a Nikon 990 or 995, I can't remember and some with a 5700 which I thought was just brilliant at the time!! http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Places/Isle-of-Skye Apologies for including a link in your thread but you might find some familiar places to compare with.

Congratulations again on a beautiful set :)

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    johnbrinerjohnbriner Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Wow! This is an excellent series. Looks like you and your wife really had a great time in Scotland. I can't pick which one is my favorite because all of them look really great.headscratch.gif But, after seeing those macarons from Laduree, I felt really hungry. Thanks for sharing these fantastic images.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,241 moderator
    edited April 18, 2011
    All I can say is wow!

I'm being pulled by island destinations (in the North Atlantic, no less), and you've just added another must visit place for me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2011
    chrisdg wrote: »
    Looks like a great trip. I loved Scotland! That trail pictured in #6-8 is perhaps the most beautiful hike I've ever taken. I was in awe the whole time. Thanks for taking me back.

Thanks for your comments -- I think that the Quirang may be one of the best hikes I've ever done too. It's between that and the Storr.
    schmoo wrote: »
    Wow, this is such a great set and I am seriously considering doing a similar trip now after seeing the rest of your photos from Scotland! I love how dynamic the weather is up there, as well as how green and lush it is. Not a whole lot of people tromping around is another huge plus.

Schmoo -- I would love to see your take on Skye! It was truly like no place I'd ever visited before and I'm definitely inclined to figure out a way to go back. One thing that we noticed coming in is that not every area was green at this time of year (early April). There were several brown areas mixed in with the green. That said, the landscapes are still just amazing and pictures don't really do the area justice.
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    What a great photo spread. I too much come and visit your beautiful country.

Thank you -- Scotland is, sadly, not my country. I would definitely recommend a visit!
    caroline wrote: »
    A great set of photos! You did amazingly well to cover so much of the island in the short time you were there. Thank you for bringing back some great memories.

Back in 2000-2002 I lived there for a while it was an amazing experience. Unless you actually see the brilliance of the 'green-ness' it's hard to appreciate just how bright and lush it is in spring.

While I was there most pics were taken using a Nikon 990 or 995, I can't remember and some with a 5700 which I thought was just brilliant at the time!! http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Places/Isle-of-Skye Apologies for including a link in your thread but you might find some familiar places to compare with.

Congratulations again on a beautiful set :)

Caroline

Thank you, Caroline -- I don't mind that you linked your photos. I would love to figure out how to live there for two years. Sounds like and looks like an excellent time! Skye is definitely a place that stays with you.
    johnbriner wrote: »
    Wow! This is an excellent series. Looks like you and your wife really had a great time in Scotland. I can't pick which one is my favorite because all of them look really great.headscratch.gif But, after seeing those macarons from Laduree, I felt really hungry. Thanks for sharing these fantastic images.

Thanks :D If you know how to get Laduree in the States, I'm all ears.
    All I can say is wow!

I'm being pulled by island destinations (in the North Atlantic, no less), and you've just added another must visit place for me.

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise -- there are certainly lots of islands worth checking out in the North Atlantic. Skye has such dramatic landscapes that it won me over in terms of picking where to go next. One place that I didn't get to explore is the Isle of Raasay, which is a quick ferry ride from the Isle of Skye. If we had more time, that would have been on the must do list. Also, across the Minch you have more of the Outer Hebrides and I'm sure there is a lot of nice stuff to see there too. Skye would make a good base for exploring the Western Isles of Scotland.
  • Options
    1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Wonderful presentation, Karl. Thank you.

Andyw
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2011
    Fantastic! Definitely is a place I need to get to someday. Thanks for the write-up!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    I hitch-hiked across Skye after staying on Erraid in 1996. Northern Scotland visits me in my dreams-what an incredible place!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2011
    What? No distillery photos?? You went to Skye and didn't go to a distillery? Are you mad, man? :D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2011
    1andyw wrote: »
    Wonderful presentation, Karl. Thank you.

Andyw

And thank you for your comment!
    Fantastic! Definitely is a place I need to get to someday. Thanks for the write-up!

You're welcome -- Skye is definitely worth having on that list :D
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I hitch-hiked across Skye after staying on Erraid in 1996. Northern Scotland visits me in my dreams-what an incredible place!

Sounds like a lot of fun -- it is definitely the type of place that stays with you.
    Icebear wrote: »
    What? No distillery photos?? You went to Skye and didn't go to a distillery? Are you mad, man? :D

Haha -- Yeah, I must be mad. We drove by the Talisker Distillery in Carbost and I had some Talisker 18 at one of my meals, but no, we didn't tour the distillery. Too much other stuff to see and do for having a limited amount of time. That said, if I go back, it's on the list.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 25, 2011
    Beautiful photos, Karl! The scenery is simply amazing. clap.gif
    I want to go there. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Nasser RadiNasser Radi Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    incredible photos specifically, photos at the shore
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2011
    annnna8888 wrote: »
    Beautiful photos, Karl! The scenery is simply amazing. clap.gif
    I want to go there. :D

Ana

Thank you, Ana! It's definitely worth the time and effort to go to Skye :D
    incredible photos specifically, photos at the shore

Thank you, Nasser! It's a decent drive down to Elgol from the main road, but the scenery is absolutely worth it!
  • Options
    KeyWestPhotogKeyWestPhotog Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Karl outside of the great landscape shots you have, I'll send you some fresh lobster in the mail for a job well done on the composition/lighting of the macaroons!
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2011
    Such amazing images of Skye! They are all so beautiful!!!! Skye is such a magical place. As far as the distilleries go....I remember sampling Talisker...and whoa...that stuff is potent!

Well done!!! Well done, indeed!clap.gif
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Karl outside of the great landscape shots you have, I'll send you some fresh lobster in the mail for a job well done on the composition/lighting of the macaroons!

Thank you! Those thing are so tasty, I wish you could get them in the States. As it stands, right now neither Laduree or Pierre Herme have locations over here.
    Punkybeth wrote: »
    Such amazing images of Skye! They are all so beautiful!!!! Skye is such a magical place. As far as the distilleries go....I remember sampling Talisker...and whoa...that stuff is potent!

Well done!!! Well done, indeed!clap.gif

Thank you! Indeed, Skye is a truly magical place. It's hard to capture the full essence of Skye with photography as the landscape is so varied. That's a good thing though :D

I had the Talisker 18 while over there and liked it quite a bit -- it is potent, though!
  • Options
    gvinet55gvinet55 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2011
    What a beauty!!! I'm in love with this places, want to visit it one day!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    gvinet55 wrote: »
    What a beauty!!! I'm in love with this places, want to visit it one day!!! iloveyou.gif

Thanks for your comment -- I often find my mind wandering back to my time on Skye. I honestly think that this trip may have been the best I've taken to date. Skye is truly an exceptional place!