Options

Tips for indoor wedding in Fall (day after thanksgiving).

mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited August 12, 2011 in Weddings
I need few pointers from veterans over here. One of my wife's friend is getting married & she has asked me to shoot for her wedding. This is my first attempt at shooting wedding. I'm not a professional photographer and have already made it very clear to her. Wedding is going to be on a day after thanksgiving and it is going to be an evening indoor wedding. Considering it is upstate NY it would be pretty dark around 6:00 PM. Here is location where they are planning to do ceremony.
http://www.franklinplaza.com/main.htm
I'm planning to make a trip to location and try and see it from inside and see what are lighting conditions inside.

My current list of gear is
Canon 60D+20D
Sigma 17-50 F2.8
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 70-200 F4L
Canon 580EX Flash
Canon 10-22 F3.5-4.5

I'm planning on getting Canon EF 28mm F1.8 prime lens for this shoot. I'm still learning how to use flash so that is one part that I'm planning on mastering in next couple of months. Are there any things to keep in mind for indoor shoots ? I'm planning in shooting most of time in Manual so I can control exposure as I want.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    You have no need for the 28 prime for this wedding.....I would use 17-50 and 70-200 one on each body...if you can afford it rent a 70-200f2.8......that one stop can make a real difference......also I would want a camera rotating flash bracket to get my flash up off the camera........Your 17-50 will be great for all individual and groups portraits, the 70-200 I also use for portraits and ceremony shots on a tripod...with this being a pretty much 1st wedding from your 1st post...I would go aperture priority......with weddings you do not have the time to spend on chimping to see if you nailed the shot or not...wedding are fast paced...almost like shooting a fast sporting event and if you start asking people to hold on a se so I can check the image...everyone will get cranky......also get tons of batteries for the flash...............of course there are as many shooting styles as there are photogs and I prefer to not carry a ton of gear with me......my set up is as fololows 2- D300 + 18-70 + 70-200 + 2 flash units + 2 quantum batteries / flash power cables + at least 3 batteries for each body + 14 cf cards (12 - 8gb & 2 16 gb).....Tripod and monopod (I use the monpod to hold flash for some of the formal shots after the ceremony in the Sanctuary).................

what other advice do you need
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 8, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    You have no need for the 28 prime for this wedding.....I would use 17-50 and 70-200 one on each body...if you can afford it rent a 70-200f2.8......that one stop can make a real difference......also I would want a camera rotating flash bracket to get my flash up off the camera........Your 17-50 will be great for all individual and groups portraits, the 70-200 I also use for portraits and ceremony shots on a tripod...with this being a pretty much 1st wedding from your 1st post...I would go aperture priority......with weddings you do not have the time to spend on chimping to see if you nailed the shot or not...wedding are fast paced...almost like shooting a fast sporting event and if you start asking people to hold on a se so I can check the image...everyone will get cranky......also get tons of batteries for the flash...............of course there are as many shooting styles as there are photogs and I prefer to not carry a ton of gear with me......my set up is as fololows 2- D300 + 18-70 + 70-200 + 2 flash units + 2 quantum batteries / flash power cables + at least 3 batteries for each body + 14 cf cards (12 - 8gb & 2 16 gb).....Tripod and monopod (I use the monpod to hold flash for some of the formal shots after the ceremony in the Sanctuary).................

what other advice do you need

Thanks for your suggestion, this is being my first wedding I'm bit nervous (and excited at same time). So it looks like it is time to enhance my flash skills.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2011
    Okay one more question, considering fact that I'm going to be shooting indoor whole event and based upon photo gallery of the place it all looks like a Banquet hall lit up with Tungsten light do you think that going Av vs M mode makes any difference ? I did shot one birthday party at Chuck-e-Cheese and shoot most of time in Av mode. Problem with that was my shutter kept dropping below 1/30 which made photo look bit softer than what you get at minimum of 1/60. If I go M mode I can set my shutter to minimum of 1/60 and set Av to 2.8 or 4.0 and let ISO max out upto 3200 (which I personally dont lilke because of noise it adds to the image).
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    If you are used to shooting in M, I would stick with it. For indoors, the light is not going to really change, especially if there are no windows or it is already dark outside, so you won’t really need to chimp or change your settings much. You might also think you have enough light and then show up and realize they dimmed it lower than you could have imagined. Knowing how to use flash is a must. I typically don’t use it, but I know how to when I need to. I have a 60d as a backup camera and if they dim the lights you are going to be pretty barred unless you know how to use your flash.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    Honestly Josh, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get off the internet, grab your camera, and get out there. Okay, the internet is of course a great place to find answers to specific technical questions, and this is one of the best places to come, but you know what I'm saying. Practice, practice, practice!

To be honest, when I see what a seemingly high-end venue that is, and you describe your experience level as "I shot a birthday party at Chuckie Cheeses once," ...I'm a bit afraid to think what the final result will be if you were to shoot the wedding right now. Since I haven't seen any of your images though, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll assume that you're totally capable of delivering gorgeous photos just as long as you get out and practice as much as you can. You don't have to go to a wedding to get some practice in, heck you don't even have to go to a party at Chuckie Cheeses! All you need is a few subjects / models, and an idea. Try things out; practice tracking someone walking towards you so you can track a bride coming up the aisle. Test just how dark it can get before you completely max out your acceptable parameters for focus sharpness, motion blur, etc.

Anyways, good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2011
    Honestly Josh, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get off the internet, grab your camera, and get out there. Okay, the internet is of course a great place to find answers to specific technical questions, and this is one of the best places to come, but you know what I'm saying. Practice, practice, practice!

To be honest, when I see what a seemingly high-end venue that is, and you describe your experience level as "I shot a birthday party at Chuckie Cheeses once," ...I'm a bit afraid to think what the final result will be if you were to shoot the wedding right now. Since I haven't seen any of your images though, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll assume that you're totally capable of delivering gorgeous photos just as long as you get out and practice as much as you can. You don't have to go to a wedding to get some practice in, heck you don't even have to go to a party at Chuckie Cheeses! All you need is a few subjects / models, and an idea. Try things out; practice tracking someone walking towards you so you can track a bride coming up the aisle. Test just how dark it can get before you completely max out your acceptable parameters for focus sharpness, motion blur, etc.

Anyways, good luck!

=Matt=

Matt thanks for your suggestion, I'm practicing with different settings and lights but never put people/model in play. Your suggestion made me realize to work on that aspect too, thanks for that.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    It's a beautiful venue. You might want to check and make sure you don't need professional liability insurance to cross their threshold. Places of similar caliber in NY state often require proof that you are an insured professional to allow you to shoot there.

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't go here.... but based on your comments about your lack of knowledge about posing, which is a huge part of doing justice to a wedding, you might be getting in way over your head. If you are sure you want to do this, you could seriously consider hiring a second shooter for an hour or a couple of hours and a few hundred dollars. This someone should be a good to great wedding photographer already, and if you do this, let them direct the "formals" and the bride alone/ groom alone / couple shots.
    There are some fabulous wedding photographers up in your area. Reaching out to them might just save you and this couple a lot of heartache and regrets. But either way, best wishes to you.
  • Options
    Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    Lots of good advice here.

I would never shoot below your focal length unless on a tripod. Meaning if you were shooting at focal length of 80mm, your shutter speed should be equivilant or higher. For moving people, I wouldnt shoot below 1/80 unless your going for the shutter drag. Youve got some wide aperature glass and on the 60D you should be more than fine.

Go there and scout the location. You have plenty of time and I sure the place isnt that busy during the week. Go a couple times till you feel comfortable there. Bring your cam and flash and see how well the light bounces off the walls, ceilings, etc.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    One more thing: Know your sunset time and take advantage of the magic hour. Get outside with the couple.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179&month=11&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

And check out Melissa Jill's blog. She had a nice series on flash use at weddings, OCF tutorials, and tons of other educational stuff. You can shoot as slow as 1/15th of a second if using flash if the ambient light is pretty dark, but you have to understand the science behind that statement and purpose of doing so...
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    It's a beautiful venue. You might want to check and make sure you don't need professional liability insurance to cross their threshold. Places of similar caliber in NY state often require proof that you are an insured professional to allow you to shoot there.

ETA: Maybe I shouldn't go here.... but based on your comments about your lack of knowledge about posing, which is a huge part of doing justice to a wedding, you might be getting in way over your head. If you are sure you want to do this, you could seriously consider hiring a second shooter for an hour or a couple of hours and a few hundred dollars. This someone should be a good to great wedding photographer already, and if you do this, let them direct the "formals" and the bride alone/ groom alone / couple shots.
    There are some fabulous wedding photographers up in your area. Reaching out to them might just save you and this couple a lot of heartache and regrets. But either way, best wishes to you.

I'm going to scout location tomorrow so will have more information on what are there requirements. With regards to hiring second shooter it is not my call as it is friends wedding. I've already told her about second shooter as well as my lack of skill as a professional photographer and she is fine with it so far.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Lots of good advice here.

I would never shoot below your focal length unless on a tripod. Meaning if you were shooting at focal length of 80mm, your shutter speed should be equivilant or higher. For moving people, I wouldnt shoot below 1/80 unless your going for the shutter drag. Youve got some wide aperature glass and on the 60D you should be more than fine.

Go there and scout the location. You have plenty of time and I sure the place isnt that busy during the week. Go a couple times till you feel comfortable there. Bring your cam and flash and see how well the light bounces off the walls, ceilings, etc.

That is exactly what I'm planning to do. I've made couple of calls and fixed appointment with property manager to go thru location along with understanding what lighting condition they have. I'm planning to take my camera along with lens and flash with which I'm going to take test shots while I'm there to see how it looks.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    One more thing: Know your sunset time and take advantage of the magic hour. Get outside with the couple.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=179&month=11&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

And check out Melissa Jill's blog. She had a nice series on flash use at weddings, OCF tutorials, and tons of other educational stuff. You can shoot as slow as 1/15th of a second if using flash if the ambient light is pretty dark, but you have to understand the science behind that statement and purpose of doing so...

Thank you that is great resource for me, much appreciated. Unfortunately wedding starts at 6:30 so to get the bride out at 4:30 for suset lighting is going to be difficult especially it will be bit chilly in upstate during that time. It is going to be all indoor event.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    You need to direct the couple to do what is in their best interest.

I live in NY too, and do outdoor photos routinely in far colder months than November. I prepare winter wedding couples for making a little time before the wedding, and tell the bride to pick up a cute white jacket or something to help her stay outside for five to ten minutes, like in the photo below. November is easy. It's not going to be bitter cold for another month, and snow is highly unlikely.

It was about 25 degrees when this photo was taken at a late December wedding.

i-9W6WQBW-L.jpg

Your comments about a second photographer reflect inexperience. Although a photographer can shoot a wedding alone, it's not wise for a newbie to try doing so till they have some experience. Hiring a second shooter is the photographer's decision, not the couple's. Will the caterer ask the couple if he can hire help to do his job? No. He will be responsible for providing what he is contracted for, and will hire the help to fulfill the expectations of the clients. Wedding photographers do the same. Even those who don't bring a second photographer often bring an assistant to help with gear, lighting, backing up files, a same day slideshow, and numerous other tasks. Many of us feel it is highly irresponsible to shoot a wedding without a second photographer, though. What if there was a family emergency the day of the wedding? What if someone bolts away with the primaries' main camera and cards?
    If all else failed, my second would still show up and at least have some images to help the couple recall the precious moments of their wedding day.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2011
    You need to direct the couple to do what is in their best interest.

I live in NY too, and do outdoor photos routinely in far colder months than November. I prepare winter wedding couples for making a little time before the wedding, and tell the bride to pick up a cute white jacket or something to help her stay outside for five to ten minutes, like in the photo below. November is easy. It's not going to be bitter cold for another month, and snow is highly unlikely.

It was about 25 degrees when this photo was taken at a late December wedding.

i-9W6WQBW-L.jpg

Your comments about a second photographer reflect inexperience. Although a photographer can shoot a wedding alone, it's not wise for a newbie to try doing so till they have some experience. Hiring a second shooter is the photographer's decision, not the couple's. Will the caterer ask the couple if he can hire help to do his job? No. He will be responsible for providing what he is contracted for, and will hire the help to fulfill the expectations of the clients. Wedding photographers do the same. Even those who don't bring a second photographer often bring an assistant to help with gear, lighting, backing up files, a same day slideshow, and numerous other tasks. Many of us feel it is highly irresponsible to shoot a wedding without a second photographer, though. What if there was a family emergency the day of the wedding? What if someone bolts away with the primaries' main camera and cards?
    If all else failed, my second would still show up and at least have some images to help the couple recall the precious moments of their wedding day.

Okay looks like I did not made myself clear enough and my apologies for this. I'm shooting this event for my friend as they asked me to volunteer for it and it is totally free shoot. They are not going to pay me anything for shoot, so call for second shooter is going to be done by couple and not me. They have seen pictures that I've taken so far and based upon it they want me to do their wedding. All the points that you raised here are valid about backup photographer and I've already raised same things to them so they are aware of it.