Options

how long to upload 4g card?

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited August 15, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Just wondering if any of you know the average time your machine/cards take to transfer.

Maybe even when uploading into and through lightroom.

Im just curious if its time to upgrade my machine or not. Its a new PC (well about 3yrs now) but its only ever been used for editing. Now im up to about 500gigs on my external and now both my external and lightroom are binding up all the time and its getting hard to get anything done.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    If my 16gb cards are full it takes about 1 1/2 hours to down load the raw files...that is using a cf - pcmi card in my dell laptop
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    I own a 2.5 year old laptop and I transfer images at 70-90MB/second via ExpressCard interface with 600x cards. That's ~3-4 minutes tops for a full 16GB transfer.

How large is your external? Upgrading your HDD space sounds like the issue, not getting a new computer. Trying to cram an almost full room with more stuff just equates to slow, poor performance. Gotta make the room larger so the computer can have breathing room to do work on the drive.

If you have the right hardware and enough HDD space, things should work quickly.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    Using an older Sandisk Extreme SD/CF USB 2.0 card reader, I just copied from my Sandisk 8GB Extreme III Class 6 SDHC card to my 7200 rpm laptop hard drive. 4.82 GB of CR2 and JPG files. Took 4 minutes 54 seconds. The speed shown by Windows hovered around 17 MB/sec.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    My 32gig card only seems to take 5 or 6 min on my laptop or desktop. This using a PCMI card reader and an internal reader on the desktop. I use sandisk extreme and extreme pro disks. I bet it is the HD or you have slow cards.

Art???? WTH man?? 1.5 hrs. You got some computer hell too.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »

Lol i was along the same lines of thinking there rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    My 32gig card only seems to take 5 or 6 min on my laptop or desktop. This using a PCMI card reader and an internal reader on the desktop. I use sandisk extreme and extreme pro disks. I bet it is the HD or you have slow cards.

Sorry I have never just let a card be read straight with nothing else running I have other software apps running also...some video and some audio.....so I really have no idea how long a single card reader should take...most of the time I am running the PCMI and a usb reader at the same time and doing audio for other people all at once......might do video for someone also....can't say when the last time I just plugged in a card and dropped it on my external drive was....maybe 3 yrs ago....so I never felt have like it was a prob as I am always doing something while it is downloading......This is all on a Dell Studio 17.......at least it has not crashed while making it earn its place on my desk.....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Sorry I have never just let a card be read straight with nothing else running I have other software apps running also...some video and some audio.....so I really have no idea how long a single card reader should take...most of the time I am running the PCMI and a usb reader at the same time and doing audio for other people all at once......might do video for someone also....can't say when the last time I just plugged in a card and dropped it on my external drive was....maybe 3 yrs ago....so I never felt have like it was a prob as I am always doing something while it is downloading......This is all on a Dell Studio 17.......at least it has not crashed while making it earn its place on my desk.....:D

If you're rendering video I'd understand 3MB/sec, otherwise IMO that is still walking-through-molasses slow. I don't know the max bandwidth limit of PCMCIA, but I know it's a lot more than 3MB/sec. USB 2.0 also goes up to ~28-32MB/sec for the fastest readers. Your reader might be old or cheap... or both. Lol :D
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2011
    On my new iMac with a firewire reader:
    Copy runs at max CF card speed of 45MB/sec
    Copy/Import to Lightroom with keywording runs at about 11MB/sec
    A full 8 gig card with RAW files Copies, imported and rendered by Lightroom takes 13 minutes.
    My 2007 Macbook that I upgraded from would easily take 40 minutes to do the same copy/import/render routine
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    If you're rendering video I'd understand 3MB/sec, otherwise IMO that is still walking-through-molasses slow. I don't know the max bandwidth limit of PCMCIA, but I know it's a lot more than 3MB/sec. USB 2.0 also goes up to ~28-32MB/sec for the fastest readers. Your reader might be old or cheap... or both. Lol :D

yeah they are old...it is the first usb reader I ever bought and it still freakin works...sorry I do not replace stuff until it no longer works.......

• Options
    edited August 13, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    yeah they are old...it is the first usb reader I ever bought and it still freakin works...sorry I do not replace stuff until it no longer works.......

If you weren't doing something at the same time how valuable would that 90 minutes be though?
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2011
    If you weren't doing something at the same time how valuable would that 90 minutes be though?
    That is just it.....I do not ever come back with just one card to down load...so i am running at least the 2 readers at one time and that in it self slows down the machine...I always have more work to do than I have time...so i will never be downloading 1 or more cards that something else is not cooking.......

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    If I download local using my Sandisk reader (32GB card) about 10 minutes. If I download direct to my server, about 30 minutes.. if I do it via Wireless.. Hell, about 12 hours. Laughing.gif