Options

Can/Should I use HDR photography for studio/product images?

CameraWielderCameraWielder Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2011 in Technique
Hi everyone!

I'm doing some product photography at work (we make custom printed, and custom shaped USB Flash Drives), and was asked to look into HDR to give the images a bit more color and 'pop'. I was under the impression that HDR is best for outdoor shots, as I'm not sure if I have ever seen close up HDR photos. I gave it a go, but was really not all that pleased with the results. Again, I might be wasting my time with HDR and might need to focus more on postprocessing to get the results I am looking for. I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel XSi and a EFS 18-55mm lens. I'm using a tripod, of course, and I've got 3 daylight compact florescent bulbs for lighting. If HDR is viable for what I'm trying to do, is Photoshop good for merging the photos? or is there some other software someone can recommend?

Here's one of my failed attempts:
vkfbt.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help and comments!
(P.S. Is there a preferred way to post images on the forum?)hRkYd

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2011
    While you can try HDR with any photo, I don't think product photos where you are controlling the light would be the best canidates for HDR.

I think you can add color and pop with more conventional tools.

The first thought I had when I viewed this image was the the staging didn't add anything to the product. How about putting the product under a couple of real mushrooms in the woods?

Sam
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif.

I think you need to learn to use your lighting setup to maximum effect. There are several good books on the subject-- Light: Science and Magic is probably the standard textbook, although it can be daunting.

Luckily product lighting doesn't have to be expensive-- you'd be surprised at what you can use for gobos (hands, pieces of cardboard), reflectors (posterboard!), diffusers (an old t-shirt!), and Mobile Light Stands (Honey, a little to the left, and higher!)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2011
    The ironic thing about this shot is that your goal of using HDR was to add pop, yet the image is totally flat. Take a look at the histogram. Everything is pushed towards midtones and shadows.

I don't think HDR is a good application here. I don't see a huge tonal range in this setup so there really is no need to use bracketed images. You should be able to capture the entire light range in one frame. As other pointed out, you're better off using conventional tools to make the product pop. I would shoot this image in one frame. Crop a bit tighter on the product since it is the subject of the photo. Then I would use curves to add pop... maybe some burning of the BG elements to highlight the subject.

Just my $.02
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site