david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
edited August 16, 2011 in Weddings
Thanks for your input.

i-gNNP8B4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AntonlmAntonlm Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Nowhere near a pro and probably not in a posistion to say anything, I like the shot and the "look" but the edges from her forehead and chin and along her left arm messes it up..IMO (which is to be taken with a grain of salt) heck it could even be my monitor.
  • Options
    sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited August 9, 2011
    Nice lighting, a little too soft for me (but that's totally a judgement call). You would get extra brownie points in my book if we could see her eyes (catchlight is really what I'm looking for)
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    It's a bit too soft and dreamy for me. I like to have texture on the skin and the dress, but if this is the style you like...it looks fine. Very painterly.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    sphynge wrote: »
    Nice lighting, a little too soft for me (but that's totally a judgement call). You would get extra brownie points in my book if we could see her eyes (catchlight is really what I'm looking for)

Thanks for your input. I've intentionally want her to look away. But I do have her looking towards me but none of the shots I liked.
    marikris wrote: »
    It's a bit too soft and dreamy for me. I like to have texture on the skin and the dress, but if this is the style you like...it looks fine. Very painterly.

Yeah, its the dreamy feel that I'm seeking for. Perhaps I'll try to history back the back of the gown to be more pronounced.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    You can post several different processing if you like :) That way we'll have more options, and maybe less glow. But honestly, this is very subjective. What is your aim for the photo? Are you printing on canvas? Is it for a client? What do *they* think?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    You can post several different processing if you like :) That way we'll have more options, and maybe less glow. But honestly, this is very subjective. What is your aim for the photo? Are you printing on canvas? Is it for a client? What do *they* think?

Hi, I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist and the model is my friend. I agreed the painterly part, glow, etc are all subjective. At least the pose is acceptable, huh?

Now that I know the pp effect is generally acceptable rather than a spooky one, I may do some tweaking here and there. But sometimes churning out too many choices could be equally confusing and making oneself harder to decide.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2011
    Hi,

2 more pics here. Appreciate your comments on pose, lighting, toning and whatever you find worrisome. I'm no professional but I must give credit to Grace which apparently quite good in posing without me giving any direction. That really made my job so much easier.

(2)
    i-Hb8rPfK.jpg

(3)
    i-w7cW6wC.jpg
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2011
    I think that they are all wonderful! Are they my processing style? Not really. But that is what makes them so great...they are YOU. If your client likes them then you are set. I think these are some seriously beautiful photos. Keep them just as they are.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    Wachel wrote: »
    I think that they are all wonderful! Are they my processing style? Not really. But that is what makes them so great...they are YOU. If your client likes them then you are set. I think these are some seriously beautiful photos. Keep them just as they are.
    Thank you Wachel for your comments which I really appreciate. I see a serious vote for it.
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    david-low wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. I've intentionally want her to look away. But I do have her looking towards me but none of the shots I liked.

Don't you just love it when you post a pic up and people comment on the very effect you tried hard to achieve like it's a mistake? ne_nau.gif
    I never did that's one of the reasons I don't post pics for critique any more.

But since you DID, :D looking at the first one, I think everything about it is great. I like the lighting, the tone, the pose the feel and the overall way you have made the shot work. I don't see any technicalities that would be of concern to a client or distract from the shot.
    The one thing I do think the model and other women would say is " My backside looks fat" because that is something, probably the first thing, any woman would look at in a pic like that, puffy wedding dress or not.

The other 2 shots I think are great and work very well, especially the stair case one.

Well done.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    I like them all but #2 is the one for me. The pose and mood all fit in with the soft ethereal look.

She will love them.

Sam
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    Don't you just love it when you post a pic up and people comment on the very effect you tried hard to achieve like it's a mistake? ne_nau.gif
    I never did that's one of the reasons I don't post pics for critique any more.

But since you DID, :D looking at the first one, I think everything about it is great. I like the lighting, the tone, the pose the feel and the overall way you have made the shot work. I don't see any technicalities that would be of concern to a client or distract from the shot.
    The one thing I do think the model and other women would say is " My backside looks fat" because that is something, probably the first thing, any woman would look at in a pic like that, puffy wedding dress or not.

The other 2 shots I think are great and work very well, especially the stair case one.

Well done.
    Glort, thank you so much for your thoughts and some of your pointers in 1st para are quite valid, esp the first responder where he mentioned the forehead, chin and arm messes it up. I'm just wondering how could that be (no offence to him).

The "backside" thing is exclusively for her hubby to comment. Who am I to say I prefer slimmer. Laughing.gif. Of course that can be pp, only upon the hubby approval.
    Sam wrote: »
    I like them all but #2 is the one for me. The pose and mood all fit in with the soft ethereal look.

She will love them.

Sam

Hi Sam, thanks for dropping in and appreciate your comments. Yeah, She really really likes all of them. She even acknowledged its better than a pro can offer her. Laughing.gif. That flatters me. Makes me feel all the time spent in pp worthwhile.
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Far too soft for my tastes, but I see that you're in SE Asia (my favorite region on the planet ;) , so styles and tastes are somewhat different. Hope that helps!