Options

First Senior Session of '11

e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited August 24, 2011 in People
Here are some shots from a session Saturday.

C & C appreciated!

BrandyLee-013-L.jpg

BrandyLee-022-L.jpg

BrandyLee-026-L.jpg

BrandyLee-009-L.jpg

BrandyLee-020-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ryan
Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.

Comments

• Options
    Sean EalySean Ealy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    I like the series of shots. Good color and composition. I do have to say that your watermark is a little distracting however.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Nice series of shots....

Asides from the watermark being a bit distracting some nits I have:

I feel that on all but the first her eyes are overdone because the white of her eyes overpower her face.
    On the fourth..I dunno why but the shadow from the strobe bothers me on her left side.
    The first one is my fave but your choice of negative space to her left feels odd to me.
    The overall skin treatment on her face is a wee bit much for my taste.

I'll be she loves these though :)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Here are some shots from a session Saturday.

C & C appreciated!

She is an attractive young lady and I think your choice of locations is acceptable.

I think #2 is your best shot despite the fact that, like several of the others, it could benifit from a bump in exposure.thumb.gif

In my opinion, a poor choice was made in the sleevless tops she chose. This makes it doubly hard to minimize the shoulders in shots like 3, 4, and 5.

Also, you should avoid posing subjects with their shoulders square to the camera as you did in 3 and 4....even if they arent wearing a sleevless top.

The hard shadows in 3 and 4 make it apparent that you were using a shoe mounted flash.
    Those unsightly shadows can be avoided in several ways.

1- Get the flash off the camera and shoot it through an umbrella.

2- Decrease the shutter speed to brighten the ambient exposure while decreasing flash power.

3- Shoot with the camera and shoe mounted flash in the landscape orientation and crop the image in post to get the portrait oriented composition.

...and welcome to DGRIN !!!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    over all a nice set. pleasing tones. I am going to commen ton #1 specifically, It is not bad..I like her expression and processing is good. But here is what I would have done different:

1) straigten her head
    2) cut off more of her head or keep it all in frame..cutting off just the top like that doesn't look enough to be deliberate.
    3) I like the ivy covered wall behind her. I would have tried to shoot her so that the background is filled on both sides with that ivy
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment! I really do appreciate it.

@Sean - My wife agrees with the watermark issue, she has been hounding me to change it up and go more subtle. I will look to create something less distracting.

@Rey - I have never really done eyes and didn't really know where the line was from realistic to "OMG those are white!". I used LR2 and did some brush masking so this will be an easy fix to address with minor adjustments. Thanks for the input!

@Jeff - First thanks for the comments, second, thanks for your posts here in Dgrin and the galleries you post on your site. I totally lurked through all of them looking at posing, lighting, locations, composition, etc. I am currently trying to learn good fill flash, and also looking to move it off camera. THanks for the tips on both of those efforts. Lighting here in Arizona is always a challenge, there is hot sun, non-existent clouds, and little scrubby trees that produce marginal dappled shade. Buildings and structures are going to be my only real hope for true shade and flash will be a must. I also think the 108 degree day we shot in drove the poor choice in tops. She brought along three outfits, all sleeveless despite conversations about attire...

@Qarik - Thanks for the suggestions, #1 is one of my favs from this session. i wish more ivy was available but it was growing on a corner post and I could only get that little bit.

Again, I appreciate the opportunity to learn. I am going to work on these again and see what of the above suggestions I can incorporate in post. Will post my results soon!

Thanks

Ryan
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    3- Shoot with the camera and shoe mounted flash in the landscape orientation and crop the image in post to get the portrait oriented composition.

Jeff,

Can you help me understand this suggestion? I was thinking of shooting almost exclusively in portrait format rather than landscape so I didn't have to crop so much. Is this to have plenty of room on the borders for different ratios?

Thanks for the help.

Mark
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    She has a slight rash on her upper arms that could use some help. Only reason I notice it is because when I was young I had the same thing.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700