Options

JPEG or TIFF?

Sean EalySean Ealy Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited August 16, 2011 in Finishing School
I understand that when saving in TIFF form it does not compress the file, as it does in JPEG. My understanding is that TIFF files offer the best option for printing, while JPEGS are great for web and email viewing. I was curious what some of you are offering your clients when giving them a CD/DVD? Are you giving them TIFF, JPEG or both?

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Jpegs for printing and providing to clients.
    Tiffs are great if during the processing phase the photo will be saved several times. If you save a jpeg more than a 2 or 3 times you will start to see a degradation.
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Some tiffs are compressed, some not. Depends on the settings you choose when saving an image.

tiffqb.jpg

High-res jpegs saved at a reasonably high quality setting are fine for printing. If you shoot raw and work in Photoshop, your best bet is to save the .psd file. From that you can always generate a tiff or jpeg. I send my clients jpegs. One client prefers tiffs, so I save it with zip compression. I never send uncompressed tiffs. They're huge, and there's no benefit to be gained from it.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    But I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, TIFF's are compreessed using a lossless algorithm -- you get everything back, perfectly, when it is decompressed. Definitely not the case with JPG (or MP3 for that matter).
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 16, 2011
    That is my understanding too, Bill, that tiffs use a lossless compression algorithm.

That said, excellent prints can and are made from jpgs as the final edits of images everyday.

I think of tiffs as files for saving and editing, not just for printing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    mercphoto wrote: »
    But I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, TIFF's are compreessed using a lossless algorithm

Correct. The question was whether tiffs are uncompressed. They are, or aren't, depending on how you save them.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2011
    Tiff's are a generic format for any data, not just images. The can use use a looseless compression. They also can save all the layers in a Photoshop project or flatten the layers, but a jpeg is always flattened to a single layer. I think jpeg2000 format can save layers too, but it's just isn't widely supported.
    mercphoto wrote: »
    But I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, TIFF's are compreessed using a lossless algorithm -- you get everything back, perfectly, when it is decompressed. Definitely not the case with JPG (or MP3 for that matter).