Options

Advertising Success Stories?

Jman3Jman3 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited August 25, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey Gang,
So, my intentions for this thread are not to get trade secrets or to step on any toes, but I just wanted to open up some discussion on advertising techniques that have proven successful for you fellow photographers. I'll start with some of my experiences.
I keep finding myself perusing Craigslist for people in need of a photog, and post the occasional listing as well. I've had good success with that and have wasted a lot of time as well. It seems most people who look for us on CL want a $200 wedding photographer, or the ever-annoying "no pay, but will be good for your portfolio" type stuff, which I guess is just the nature of the beast that is the Craigslist.
I'm in the middle of a 3 month trial period with Yelp Paid Advertising, which doesn't seem to be doing much for traffic or inquiries. I think Yelp is a good way to get yourself out there, but, it is unnecessary to pay for it, the extra's aren't worth it.
Other than that, I try to hand out cards to people I meet, keep my FB page updated and fun, and plugging my biz whenever possible.

So, what about you guys? Any success or failed advertising tips/stories you would like to share? PS - Lets keep this thread positive and respect each other's opinions. :clap:ivar:D

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Cragslist = self explanatory

blog...
    Facebook...

www.backlinkwatch.com

and word of mouth.

and it loosk like you have no google maps nor keywords in your website: says Passion+creativity+Technique <-- noone will google that:)
    Those will see you

I really like your smugmug customization. I wish i could do mine that well!
  • Options
    Jman3Jman3 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Thanks for your input! I've thought about a blog, but I have no idea what to talk about that might interest anyone. Haha.
    As for my customization; thanks! If you want to know how to do anything similar, just ask. :)
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Definately might take you up on that...

heres my blogs,

www.markdickinsonphotography.com/blog

www.suchsweetlove.com

Just blog about your last event, where it was, who it was, what venue what location etc etc. Thats how google finds it:) and lines up potential clients browsing the itnernet for wedding venue in dalas tx... "oh look this photographer has shot there"
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2011
    Jman3 wrote: »
    Hey Gang,
    So, my intentions for this thread are not to get trade secrets or to step on any toes, but I just wanted to open up some discussion on advertising techniques that have proven successful for you fellow photographers.

We actively search out people or businesses who are already working with whom we believe are potential clients. For portrait work, we target hairdressers, local clothing stores, workout centers. For wedding work, we target hairdressers, party planners, florists, and the like.

Our bread and butter work is commercial products, and our marketing a bit a different, but still follows the same logic. We spend a great deal of time at business networking shows, trade shows, and seminars where business people are gathering.

Business is so much easier when you are partnering with others who are already dealing with your potential clients, rather than building a list on your own.

One thing that took off for us last year (that we started as a fun thing) was photo parties. We partner with an area business and offer to shoot quick portraits for a low flat fee. 1 shot, in and out, the image is downloaded on our website and we move on. We called it a facebook party.

During the 1st run we shot the portraits for $10 each and photographed just over 500 people during the weekend. This works incredibly well with local colleges also. The businesses love it because so many people are coming in and we love it because we end up booking formal portraits or other work and best of all, it is a quick and easy way to put together a nice 4 or 5 figure weekend with limited work.

No editing, no prints, no extra stuff. This is like school portraits, sit down, smile, snap the shot, next. The only thing that we look for is open eyes...

I don't suggest large photo parties with only one photographer, so if you are a one person operation, find some local help. You have to promote the heck out this to get a good turnout, but it is quick and easy.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Cygnus that is pretty awesome. I think I would have a find a couple more of those to do. Do you have any examples from your facebook party that you could post. I would definitely be interested to see how simple a shot it is...
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    Cygnus that is pretty awesome. I think I would have a find a couple more of those to do. Do you have any examples from your facebook party that you could post. I would definitely be interested to see how simple a shot it is...

These are incredibly simple to set up. One backdrop per photographer, two lights (I use SB900 triggered with Pocket wizards), two shoot through umbrellas, and one stool.

Sit, smile or make the face you want, snap the shot, check for the eyes and move onto the next one. They key is volume. Get em in, get em out. Don't try to go fancy or your time will get away from you. These aren't for large prints, they are meant to be shared on facebook or myspace or whatever.

We don't do any processing at all. Simply upload them to the website at the end of the day and allow all the participants to download the images.

If you can get in with a sorority house, it isn't hard to get several hundred girls at these events. If they wish to act foolish, let them. If they want group shots, charge an extra $5, but make sure that each girl has her single shot before hand.

Keep it simple. If you charge $10 per person, most will get two shots. Spending twenty bucks is easy, even for college kids.

I suggest planning it out no more than 30 days in advance and you have to make sure that the word gets out. Again, working with college age girls is the easiest. They do all the work for you.

Get a cheap space to do the shots. Dance or Yoga places can be rented for under $100 per day.

If you have funky props like scarves and hats and dorky looking jewelry, bring it. Make it fun for them.

Another twist that one group went with was a JBF look. Just been **** look. An 80's theme works well, or the traditional portrait look.

Let me save you the trouble, this doesn't work with guys. For whatever reason we have never been able to get a bunch of guys together in any amount to make it worth the time.

Focus on college age girls and kids. Keep it cheap, keep it simple, and book pro portraits on the back end. With 3 photographers it isn't hard to take 1000 shots in a day. Yes, it is a long day, but it is worth it when you are counting up the cash.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    "If you can get in with a sorority house, it isn't hard to get several hundred girls at these events. If they wish to act foolish, let them. If they want group shots, charge an extra $5, but make sure that each girl has her single shot before hand. "

Lol, thanks Steve. Maybe hand out white tanktops? jk,, good advice and it makes sense that guys just don't care.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.