Options

Yellowstone for Wildlife in September?

tshaddicktshaddick Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
Hey everyone. I am trying to plan a trip to see some wildlife during the week of Sept. 19. One place I was tossing around is Yellowstone. Has anyone been there that late in the year? Is there still wildlife out and about? I have gone to Yellowstone in May and it was great, but I don't know what it is like in Sept.

I would appreciate the comments of anyone who has been there during this time of year.

The other place I was thinking about is the great bear rain forest in British Columbia. However after doing some brief research it seems as though the only way to truly get the experience is by taking a boat, and doing one of the tours offered. So any thoughts on that?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks everyone!~

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    We just spent a week in Tetons and a quick trip into Yellowstone. You ask if wildlife is still there in September. The reality is that would be when it would start getting good - wildlife is mostly upcountry, out of the summer heat, in August. We saw very few animals, and mostly far away.

On the other hand, my experience in the Canadian parks, and in Glacier, is that wildlife is much more active and abundant in the fall. This was confirmed for Tetons by a local I spoke with.

I think you have picked a great time for wildlife shooting, and if you aren't set on where, consider further north too. You could do both Yellowstone and Glacier on one trip, with enough days!

ann