Options

Digital Printer for Photobooth

AdamjoAdamjo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 24, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Hello everybody. There might be similar threads to this topic but I have specific questions. I'm wanting to set up a photo booth for a wedding and use a digital camera printer that print 4x6 lab quality prints atomically from the digital camera to the printer without having to take the memory card out of the camera and having to put it into the printer to access the photos. I was at a couple of weddings that did this and the guy used a Snoy UP-DR200 printer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543928-REG/Sony_UPDR200_UP_DR200_Professional_Photo_Printer.html

This printer printed the photo automatically within about a minute or less from the camera. I think he also had it attached to a computer and used a program called "Breeze" that ran a photobooth from the computer so he also might've had to press an extra button from the computer to actually print the photo.

I am looking for something similar but on a much less expensive printer. The one he used was a professional one that did a lot of prints without having to replace media often but I don't really need that. I'm looking for something within a couple of hundred bucks that will pretty much do the same thing (that is the printer is able to communicate with a computer or camera to print the photo right away so that guests using it will get their photo right away). What’s available?

Comments

• Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    why not just tether your camera to a laptop and just print them out on any cheap photo printer?
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2011
    You didn't say what kind of Camera, but here's a thread on using a Canon 7D tethered. See reply 17 for some detailed information.

Of course, you'll want to do things a bit differently since you want the picture on the computer unlike what I wanted which was to shoot as quickly as possible.

I can't currently find it, but somewhere I read about a simple batch file or script that looked for an "incoming" picture and manipulated it. You could do something similar that would print every picture as you took it, or wait for a print/noprint click or something.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2011
    Its a nikon D3000. And the tether option sounds good I think thats how this guy at the weddings did it. I guess its just a matter what software the computer would have thats tethering the camera that manages and prints the photos. And yeah if you can find that batch file that's exactly what I'm looking for that would either print the picture automatically as it was taken, or clicking a print option in a program. I think that's what the Breeze program is suppose to do.

Just one other thing. Are those cheaper smaller printers that do 4x6 lab like prints able to handle many prints, like 200 in one evening? Some of those small portable printers can only carry 18 photo sheets at a time.
  • Options
    dirtfan21dirtfan21 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2011
    Epson PictureMate Zoom Compact Photo Printer - PM 290

This is what I use and it hold alot of sheets. Love it and It has a battery pack that you can buy.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,867 moderator
    edited August 19, 2011
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom forum where you'll find other printer discussions.

Carry on. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    I found a couple of printers that appear to do the job. They're desktop inkjet printers that have trays for 4x6 sheets that do lab quality prints. They're the HP photosmart and HP officejet printers. The photosmart is $139 and the officejet is $189. Anybody familiar with these printers or have any comments on just using a desktop inkjet printer?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2011
    It looks like the Epson PM290 is discontinued. Any similar ones that aren't discontinued?