Options

How to apply a mask to multiple images?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited August 24, 2011 in Finishing School
I'm doing a time lapse for images that look like:

Snake-River-Overlook-XL.jpg

There is an area of the image I'm trying to adjust for the whole time lapse (180 images) and I'm trying to automate it. Anyone know how to point to a mask that can be applied to each image in bullk?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 23, 2011
    Baldy wrote: »
    I'm doing a time lapse for images that look like:

Snake-River-Overlook-XL.jpg

There is an area of the image I'm trying to adjust for the whole time lapse (180 images) and I'm trying to automate it. Anyone know how to point to a mask that can be applied to each image in bullk?
    Actually....Maybe I'm better off doing this in Final Cut Pro than in Photoshop...
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    In Ps, you can save a layer and therefore a mask, and/or save the document with layers-masks, and then reopen, and move the layer/mask into each document where you want it. Since you are using the same mask for all images you could possibly create an action in the document with the mask, and then load each image as separate documents, and run the action on them as a batch. Something like that.

See here: http://mgreerphoto.blogspot.com/2006/11/actions-and-batch-processing.html

If in Lr and you have all your images in Development, and you have used local adjustments and therefore masking on one image, you can batch process using the adjusted image as the source for adjustments to all images when you batch export.

I think.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Photoshop may not be the place to do this, however the method that I use to apply the same layer mask or custom cropping to many images can go like this:

Create a document for the mask or crop. This is a single channel grayscale doc that is flattened.

Create an action that loads this documents grayscale channel as a selection in the files/layers to mask or crop.

Apply a batch command or image processor to the series of images using the action.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
  • Options
    PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Record an action that applies the mask to one image, then create a droplet to run it on the others.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited August 24, 2011
    It would be helpful to know whether the mask is to be hard or soft edged, what the end result end end resolution requirements are, whether you need the mask for other purposes and whether the software you intend to use supports transparency and/or alpha channels.

Also, do the individual frames register exactly the same or will there be any need for mask adjustments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums