Options

7D for my 2nd body?

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited August 28, 2011 in Cameras
Hi all.

So I recently upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark II, selling my 50D to a buddy of mine in need of an upgrade. Man do I love that 5D! I shot a few 3200 ISO pictures and was amazed. But anyway...

What I don't like about it is its very slow burst speed. While I don't tend to do a lot of fast action stuff, I'm considering picking up the 70-200 f\2.8 later this year. I kind of feel that I'd see better performance for action shots on a 7D with that lens. It looks to me that the 7D will burst at something like 8fps, which seems pretty solid for what I'd use it for.

Just thought I'd get any of your thoughts. Anybody else have a 5D mark2, but switch to the 7D when shooting action wildlife, or sporting events?
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Exactly what I plan on doing. I'm going to sell my 5D & 20D and get a 7D to replace them. I could use the speed for sports (high fps) and a second camera when I do video...

New 60D wasn't even an option, with the use of an SD Card (ick) and no Sync socket (double ick!)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    7D is an excellent complement to the 5D Mark II. I use it for sports (I'm not a FT sports shooter) and also when I'm in the field and want reach, I use my longer lenses on the 7D.
  • Options
    Great feedback. So next question. Would you still get the 70-200 for the 5Dm2, or should I maybe put that money into getting something like the 17-40, and a 15mm fisheye? Then wait until after I have the 7D in hand to invest in the longer glass?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    Helvegr wrote: »
    Great feedback. So next question. Would you still get the 70-200 for the 5Dm2, or should I maybe put that money into getting something like the 17-40, and a 15mm fisheye? Then wait until after I have the 7D in hand to invest in the longer glass?

You said you had an interest in sports photography. Which lenses will get you the best view for your sports?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You said you had an interest in sports photography. Which lenses will get you the best view for your sports?

My interest in sports photography is very casual. In fact, most of my fast action shots are of my two dogs chasing eachother around the yard. I'm just curious if I were to pick up a 70-200 to help me shoot some dog romping/high school football and similar, if I'd find that the burst speed and lack of of crop on the 5D would leave me wanting.

I'd hate to drop the coin on the glass, then try to explain to my wife, that what I really need is a different body for the lens to be all that I wanted it to be.

If that were the case, maybe I'd put my action shots on hold and pickup a new lens or two that would make a better pairing with the full frame 5D.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    Helvegr wrote:
    I'd hate to drop the coin on the glass, then try to explain to my wife, that what I really need is a different body for the lens to be all that I wanted it to be.

Ah, the good ol' WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), know it well... mwink.gif I have the 7D and would love to also have the 5D for wide angle, low light and DOF. Very low WAF reading on that one though.
    Helvegr wrote:
    If that were the case, maybe I'd put my action shots on hold and pickup a new lens or two that would make a better pairing with the full frame 5D.

Much higher WAF and probably the way I would go either way, lenses are just more fun than FPS. iloveyou.gif

Malte
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    I've not shot with a 5D so I don't know for sure but I've read quite a bit about the AF on the 5D not being as good for fast action shooting. I'd love a full frame body for sports shooting but I don't think I'd get the 5D for that. Although I understand the 5D is an awesome camera for just about everything else. :)

The burst speed wouldn't be fast enough for me (I shoot a lot of MMA with my 50D and I find the burst speed a little slow sometimes and it's faster than a 5D.) as well.

I'm actually considering trying to find a good 1D (not sure which one yet) as my sports body and keeping my 50D for everything else. It's either that or a 7D. Haven't figured it out yet.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    I have both. Perfect combination for landscapes and wildlife.deal.gif
  • Options
    Stella7dStella7d Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I have the 70-200 2.8L IS on my 7D and love the combination!!

Hubby knows I prefer nice glass over diamonds! :D
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Stella7d wrote: »
    Hubby knows I prefer nice glass over diamonds! :D

Can you explain that to my wife? ;)
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I love my 70-200, even though I just had to have some work done on it (IS/AF assembly became loose inside the barrel.. CPS fixed it relatively cheap.)

That said, I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be able to upgrade to the 70-200/2.8 IS II. The difference is amazing. It's more like shooting with a 300/2.8 prime with it's new elements and better IS. However, budget problems are there, so unlikely I'll see it soon (and I have no WAF to deal with.. Laughing.gif)
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010

That said, I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be able to upgrade to the 70-200/2.8 IS II. The difference is amazing. It's more like shooting with a 300/2.8 prime with it's new elements and better IS. However, budget problems are there, so unlikely I'll see it soon (and I have no WAF to deal with.. Laughing.gif)

nice lens but at $2,300 I'lll also wait !
  • Options
    RamstetterPhotoRamstetterPhoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2010
    I love the 7D! It works just as well as the 5D in my opinion for most things. I use my 7D when shooting sports all the time and love the results.
  • Options
    S2freeS2free Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2011
    I love my 7D
    My first camera was a 7D and I shoot primarily action sports with a 70-200 2.8 IS II. I bought a 5D thinking it would out perform the 7D for image quality I thought I would get with a full frame, and in anything but action sports it is great but I cant see a difference in image quality between the two boxes. The speed of the 7D when I need to do a burst is outstanding and I keep my 5D on a tripod with a 200mm, f2.0 for still shots at the game. To me this is a winning pair.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2011
    WAF? The logic goes like this: "Honey, I know our kitchen's been half finished for a year, I know we just got that new car, and I know we have our house payments... I know I bought a 200 f2.0 and a 600 f4 last week, and I realize I don't have a job right now... but I really want the new 400 2.8 mk 2. It only costs about 5% of what our house did...." Works every time mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

On a serious note, FYI the 5D's center point is the best for action. That center point is said to be like a 1-Series point. Reports have been iffy on the other points.

To answer your question: the 7D complements the 5D nicely. You may want to consider a used 1D2n or 1D3 (price should drop soon), as they have better AF and the mk3 has 10fps. But they are a lot heavier, and the 7D has a 1.6x crop factor that I think would complement your 5D better.

About lenses: the 17-40 + 15 fishy would be amazing on a 5D. So would a 70-200 2.8 on a 7D. The former setup is better for landscapes and the like, the latter for sports/action. So do you do more landscapes or action? Another option is to go for the 70-200 f4. That would save you enough to possibly get the 17-40 or 15 fishy. Or you could save money by getting a 1D2 instead of the 7D (it's about half the price), but I think the 7D would be better for your uses.

Here's a photo I got with a 1D2 and 70-200 f4 (non-IS):

1184693254_gCw7J-L.jpg
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    Hi all.

So I recently upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark II, selling my 50D to a buddy of mine in need of an upgrade. Man do I love that 5D! I shot a few 3200 ISO pictures and was amazed. But anyway...

What I don't like about it is its very slow burst speed. While I don't tend to do a lot of fast action stuff, I'm considering picking up the 70-200 f\2.8 later this year. I kind of feel that I'd see better performance for action shots on a 7D with that lens. It looks to me that the 7D will burst at something like 8fps, which seems pretty solid for what I'd use it for.

Just thought I'd get any of your thoughts. Anybody else have a 5D mark2, but switch to the 7D when shooting action wildlife, or sporting events?

My 7D was my primary body for 2 years & I recently purchased a MKIV as my primary. The 7D is now my second body & usually has the 70-200 (football & baseball) attached or the Tokina 11-16 (architecture). It's an extremely good camera with decent high ISO capability. Note that due to the advanced metering system, it doesn't always achieve 8fps (more along the 6fps range). In low light, it drops to 4fps. If you can live with that, I think it'd be a wise move. An even wiser move would be to participate in the Canon Loyalty program and get one for a little over $1,000.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2011
    My interest in sports photography is very casual. In fact, most of my fast action shots are of my two dogs chasing eachother around the yard. I'm just curious if I were to pick up a 70-200 to help me shoot some dog romping/high school football and similar, if I'd find that the burst speed and lack of of crop on the 5D would leave me wanting.

135 f2 & add an extender if needed.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2011
    My 7D was my primary body for 2 years & I recently purchased a MKIV as my primary. The 7D is now my second body & usually has the 70-200 (football & baseball) attached or the Tokina 11-16 (architecture). It's an extremely good camera with decent high ISO capability. Note that due to the advanced metering system, it doesn't always achieve 8fps (more along the 6fps range). In low light, it drops to 4fps. If you can live with that, I think it'd be a wise move. An even wiser move would be to participate in the Canon Loyalty program and get one for a little over $1,000.

a second body like the 7D for sports is certainly a good option